Question New pc gamer / upgrade discussion

Jun 20, 2020
Hi all,

I was given a system to start gaming on and I am pleased with the difference from consoles to pc.

I have been spending a lot of time learning about the various parts of pcs and am looking to start upgrading my current setup but I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of things you need to think of and was wondering if anyone could help.

I currently have
i5-4440 cpu @ 3.10ghz
Gigabyte B85-HD3 motherboard
GeForce GTX 950
16gb ddr 3 ram

I have upgraded the ram from 8-16gb and installed an ssd which has helped performace issues a lot.

Games are playable for the sort of thing I like to play (Subnautica, Satisfactory etc) and there isn't any noticeable lag but I am aware that I a) may be able to get more of the system that I am currently getting by upgrading parts or b) getting a massive difference by upgrading all parts.

I am a little unsure about the order that is best to upgrade in so as not to cause to many problems as this is my only system and will be upgrading over a few months due to costs.

I am thinking of upgrading in the following order:

Motherboard + DDR4 Ram
Graphics card
CPU

Would anyone be able to say if this is a sensible way to do it or if there is a better order to upgrade in that would give me a better result with each part purchased? For example, would the graphics card I currently have suffer as a result of changing motherboard and Ram or would i better its performance? Or if I was to upgrade graphics card before motherboard and RAM would this have a worsening effect?

Many thanks in advance
Darren

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020
If you're going to upgrade the mobo/ddr 4 ram you will need to get a cpu for that socket to put in it, your i5 4440 only supports ddr3 memory,The best order would be Motherboard + DDR4 Ram + CPU then GPU

TRENDING THREADS