Question New PC - Games are crashing like the GPU is overheated even while temps seem fine.

May 22, 2021
So I finally caved and just got a prebuilt pc with a GTX 3070 since it had been 6 months of trying to find a graphics card with no luck. The build quality seemed pretty good when I set it up yesterday. I tested it out on some intensive games like Cyberpunk and RDR 2 and was pretty impressed.

Today I downloaded warzone and played a couple hours with no problems. I then went into the Geforce Experience app and set it to optimize warzone settings since I was getting inconsistent frame rates. I was surprised it changed the resolution from 2560x1440 to 3840x2160 but went ahead anyway. I launched the game and immediately crashed in the pre game lobby as textures actually started to load. By crash I mean I could still hear the game sound, and the pc appeared to be running, but the screen was completely black and the monitor wasnt even picking up any input like the GPU had shut off. Had to restart the pc, and started the game up again in safe mode on low textures. Manually returned the resolution to 2560x1440 since I thought I may have just overloaded it and set the graphics settings to high/medium. Low enough that I was getting consistent 120 fps and shouldnt have been putting too much strain on the GPU. Still, it crashed 1 minute into the pregame lobby to the same effect.

I switched over to RDR 2 and was able to play for ~45 minutes before the same crash. I'm running MSI afterburner and jacked up the fan speeds, with temps hovering in a safe 60 degree zone.

It's like the GPU temp threshold of 85 degrees is being inadvertently triggered and shutting the whole thing down. I tried it one more time and it just crashed as soon as live gameplay started and it had to load any textures. I ran a 3Dmark benchmark test though and that was fine so it doesn't seem that engaging the graphics card in that way is triggering it.

GPU is an Asus Dual RTX 3070 OC
CPU i9 10850k
Motherboard: MSI Z590 Pro
PSU: Apevia ATXPR 800W (appears to be 80+ Gold)

Last edited:
May 22, 2021
An Apevia ATXPR 800W which appears to be Gold certified. Never heard of the brand before but unless it's really crappy 800w should be more than enough no? I was planning on buying a 750W when I was going to build it myself.

May 22, 2021
I'm wondering if the factory overclock is too high. I dont know how to find out what the base overlock speed is though to try and underclock it to more standard settings.

So I finally caved and just got a prebuilt pc with a GTX 3070 since it had been 6 months of trying to find a graphics card with no luck. The build quality seemed pretty good when I set it up yesterday. I tested it out on some intensive games like Cyberpunk and RDR 2 and was pretty impressed.

Today I downloaded warzone and played a couple hours with no problems. I then went into the Geforce Experience app and set it to optimize warzone settings since I was getting inconsistent frame rates. I was surprised it changed the resolution from 2560x1440 to 3840x2160 but went ahead anyway. I launched the game and immediately crashed in the pre game lobby as textures actually started to load. By crash I mean I could still hear the game sound, and the pc appeared to be running, but the screen was completely black and the monitor wasnt even picking up any input like the GPU had shut off. Had to restart the pc, and started the game up again in safe mode on low textures. Manually returned the resolution to 2560x1440 since I thought I may have just overloaded it and set the graphics settings to high/medium. Low enough that I was getting consistent 120 fps and shouldnt have been putting too much strain on the GPU. Still, it crashed 1 minute into the pregame lobby to the same effect.

I switched over to RDR 2 and was able to play for ~45 minutes before the same crash. I'm running MSI afterburner and jacked up the fan speeds, with temps hovering in a safe 60 degree zone.

It's like the GPU temp threshold of 85 degrees is being inadvertently triggered and shutting the whole thing down. I tried it one more time and it just crashed as soon as live gameplay started and it had to load any textures. I ran a 3Dmark benchmark test though and that was fine so it doesn't seem that engaging the graphics card in that way is triggering it.

GPU is an Asus Dual RTX 3070 OC
CPU i9 10850k
Motherboard: MSI Z590 Pro
PSU: Apevia ATXPR 800W (appears to be 80+ Gold)
Sorry to tell you but Apevia power supplies are pretty much dumpster fire material. The model you have is one of their better units but even Apevia has little confidence in it with only a 3 year warranty for a gold rated model and its' performance is barely mediocre. It's possible that it can't cope with power spikes an Ampere class GPU can generate. It's also possible it's totally unrelated to your problem. As a reference it sells on Amazon for about $65 USD. You can not get a high quality power supply in that power range for that price. Just thought you should know what you have in there. Is this a Cyberpower prebuilt? If so I'm not surprised at all.

May 22, 2021
Sorry to tell you but Apevia power supplies are pretty much dumpster fire material. The model you have is one of their better units but even Apevia has little confidence in it with only a 3 year warranty for a gold rated model and its' performance is barely mediocre. It's possible that it can't cope with power spikes an Ampere class GPU can generate. It's also possible it's totally unrelated to your problem. As a reference it sells on Amazon for about $65 USD. You can not get a high quality power supply in that power range for that price. Just thought you should know what you have in there. Is this a Cyberpower prebuilt? If so I'm not surprised at all.
Damn, yep a Cyberpower. PSU was the only component who's brand I wasn't confident in. Thought I'd roll the dice but the issue does seem consistent with the PSU just crapping out on high performance.

May 22, 2021
Just to note as well. I underclocked to 950v and was much more stable, played for over an hour without a crash, but then I got the same issue. Eventually may have passed a threshold and power spiked. Ill give them a call but them replacing the PSU with the same model probably isnt going to do much and may have to just upgrade it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS