Question New PC - Gaming only - NEED HELP!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mMPNFG

New to building PCs and want to get a solid set up. Removing Keyboard and Monitor, my build is around $800. That’s the goal I want to be at.

Any suggestions or upgrades I should make for the price range i
first of all you dont need thermal paste,cuz ryzen cpus come with paste applied on the cooler,second check this out:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LY4kPn

A perfect 800$ build (without keyboard around 770$)
WHAT I DID:
-same cpu
-took out the thermal paste (read the reason above)
-same mobo
-same ram (black color) but its 3600mhz instead of 3000mhz
-took out the 500gb cuz 500gb is not enough (in my opinion) and put in a m.2 which is 6x faster and its has 1tb
-put in a rx 570 8gb cuz the 1660 was unnecesary and too expensive
-same case
-better psu
-i like the keyboard cuz i have it and its perfect for the price

If you dont understand why i put in some parts,fell free to ask me :)

Reactions: Triplc
Jan 1, 2020
Upgrading the power supply is necessary? If so, why?
you could end up really regretting a bad psu. also that 500gb.... theres no way that gonna be enough, i mean maybe for some people, but itll be hard dealing with that.

one thing i might change is the motherboard, these days a cheap motherboard should do you just as well as some of the more expensive ones so i might change that to like an $80 one maybe, and you could put the rest of that money somewhere else, but idk, the other guy made a nice build you could use.

And quick side note, if you really want a 1660ti, you shouldn't be throwing it in an $800 build, you might need to raise your price a little bit to get a gpu like that and also have the rest of the system run well.

all in all tho im glad your getting into building, <Mod Edit> fun and $800 is a good price

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Triplc and Dj0gany
Ok, so couple of things to mention here.

I will start with RAM. There is no point getting more expensive 3600mhz if you are going CL18, as it wont make much difference from 3200mhz CL16. If you are going 3600mhz, it has to be tighter on timing.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRVEgCZJ7c

You don't go overkill with any part in that kind of budget. A quality 450w PSU should be enough as the power draw from the wall is not even 350w. Check the top right corner of the build if you are unsure.

A quality motherboard should keep the thermals in check with adequate VRM and power cycles when operating at max load.

Fine tuned the build for optimal performance...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound | Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste | $6.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $64.99 @ B&H
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card | $229.99 @ B&H
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | $62.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $64.99 @ Corsair
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $801.31
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 22:39 EDT-0400 |

And yes, the Kryonaut is absolutely worth it for its top class thermal performance. Nothing can beat it on temps.

Apr 23, 2020
you could end up really regretting a bad psu. also that 500gb.... theres no way that gonna be enough, i mean maybe for some people, but itll be hard dealing with that.

one thing i might change is the motherboard, these days a cheap motherboard should do you just as well as some of the more expensive ones so i might change that to like an $80 one maybe, and you could put the rest of that money somewhere else, but idk, the other guy made a nice build you could use.

And quick side note, if you really want a 1660ti, you shouldn't be throwing it in an $800 build, you might need to raise your price a little bit to get a gpu like that and also have the rest of the system run well.

all in all tho im glad your getting into building, <Mod Edit> fun and $800 is a good price
Ya I was thinking of getting a HDD in the future and just have the SDD to start out because I agree with both of you on that point. I guess I will look into the PSU cause I know the 500w should be more then fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 23, 2020
Ok, so couple of things to mention here.

I will start with RAM. There is no point getting more expensive 3600mhz if you are going CL18, as it wont make much difference from 3200mhz CL16. If you are going 3600mhz, it has to be tighter on timing.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRVEgCZJ7c

You don't go overkill with any part in that kind of budget. A quality 450w PSU should be enough as the power draw from the wall is not even 350w. Check the top right corner of the build if you are unsure.

A quality motherboard should keep the thermals in check with adequate VRM and power cycles when operating at max load.

Fine tuned the build for optimal performance...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound | Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste | $6.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $64.99 @ B&H
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card | $229.99 @ B&H
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | $62.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $64.99 @ Corsair
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $801.31
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 22:39 EDT-0400 |

And yes, the Kryonaut is absolutely worth it for its top class thermal performance. Nothing can beat it on temps.
Ya that’s what I read was spend the $6 for a better paste. $6 is worth an investment on a $800 build lol.
The Super card I think will be my best bet. 1660 ti is just too good for this build and the 1660 super gives me a chance to upgrade other parts of the whole build in the future.

Apr 23, 2020
Overall - thanks for everyone’s help - seems like I am very close to an extremely solid build for gaming at around $800.

TRENDING THREADS