[SOLVED] New PC getting random BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2019
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place for this Thread.
roughly 1.5 Months ago I built a new System with the following components :
CPU : I9 9900K
GPU : Gigabyte RTX 2080TI (Windforce OC)
RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (4x8) @3200MHz
Mainboard : Asus Maximus XI Formula
PSU : BeQuit Straight power 11 (750w)
CPU-Cooling : Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Storage : Samsung 970 EVO (1Tb)
Samsung 860 EVO (1Tb)
Samsung 850 EVO (256Gb)
Case : Bequit Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2

The Problem :
ever since I started using the System I was getting BSODs and since about one or two weeks the System just randomly freezs without showing a Blue Screen.

Using a tool called BlueScreenView I was able to see that I'm currently getting the following BSOD causes :
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

the is no pattern behind those problems, but if I get one 'freeze' / BSOD I often get 3 - 4 in a row, after which everything runs normal again for some time.

I tried the following things already :
  • setting the BIOS to default Settings (deactivating XMP)
  • Updating the BIOS
  • Updating Windows
  • RAM diagnostic Tool from Windows
  • Removing Ram Sticks
  • Replacing the RAM with Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb 2x8Gb @2400Mhz)
  • checking if the GPU is installed correctly
  • putting the GPU from Slot 1 to Slot 2 (both are x16)
  • Updating Drivers via Intels Driver and Support Assistant.
  • Uninstalled AISuit, Aura & Livedash, as well as RGB Fusion.
I really don't know what else I could do.
Just in case (because I know especially the Roccat stuff caused issues for me on my old PC) here is a list of the other hardware I'm currently using :

Keyboard : Roccat Ryos MK FX
Mouse : Roccat Kone Aimo
Microphone : Blue Yeti
Main Screen : Asus VP28U @3840x2160
Second Screen : Asus VK278Q (1920x1080 but changed that to 3840x2160 via software)

I never had those problems before with my old PC (from which I reused the RTX 2080ti and Samsung 850 EVO, both ran fine before).

Edit : one more thing I just remembered, I was getting a D6 error after rebooting from a BSOD once, which was the reason I believed it to be a RAM issue, and it didn't happen when using 2 RAM sticks, but after I checked the GPU I was able to boot without problems again.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/uB1a.html
File information:090119-9875-01.dmp (Sep 1 2019 - 04:20:03)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:090119-9828-01.dmp (Sep 1 2019 - 06:15:32)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: iCUE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:090119-10062-01.dmp (Sep 1 2019 - 03:59:41)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you checked your ram is on motherboard QVL. If you on latest bios, its odd that Gardenmans report isn't showing tthe bios info, as it means dump didn't include it.

If you removed Asus, there is an awful lot of asus still on here

DateDriverDescription
Aug 02 2010 AsUpIO.sys ASUS Update Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
Aug 22 2012 AsIO.sys ASUS Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
Apr 09 2019 AsIO2.sys Asus Input Output driver
Mar 19 2018 ene.sys (Ptolemy Tech Co.) or ASUS RGB driver
Apr 22 2019 GLCKIO2.sys ASUS RGB driver

Top 3 are part of AI Suite
bottom 2 are RGB drivers

try this, I wonder if its the Nvidia drivers. Try running ddu and instead of using drivers from Nvidia, run windows update instead - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Sep 1, 2019
I did install the latest BIOS version just a few days ago and it's showing the correct version when I'm in BIOS...
while waiting for a reply btw. I updated the chipset drivers, which I haven't done yet.
I saw that they had something about QVL on the drivers page but I wasn't sure if I would have to update that... but by the looks of it, it may be worth a try.

Edit : okay nevermind about the 'update' part.
I checked QVL and while the RGB Pro RAM is listed there, it's only the Model Number
CMW32GX4M4C3333C16
while mine is
CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

which isn't listed. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_FORMULA/M11FC_mem_QVL0315.pdf

Edit 2 : on the other hand, the LPX RAM I tested and also had BSODs with ist listed there
CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
ok still getting BSODs, but I noticed 2 cabeling issues :
  1. My Mainboard hast one 8pin 12V connector and one 4pin 12V connector, I only connected the 8Pin one (PSU supports both)
  2. The AIO has one connector that goes to the Mainboard, I conencted it to the CPU Fan Connector as it has been said in a installation tutorial, however my Mainboard also has a connector called AIO_Pump, should I use this instead ?
Edit :
ok I connected the 4 Pin 12V to the Mainboard and checked that all cables, everything is running as usual again, gotta wait & see what happens over the next hours.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
CMW32GX4M4C3333C16 is odd, as it supposedly runs at 3333 but I can only find it on references to Asus & Asrock websites, not actually Corsair which is who would make it.

The ram you have does exist (obviously) but you right, no CMW listed ram at 3200.
CMU32GX4M2C3200C16 ver4.31 is there, its pretty close, and there are ram sticks with exact same timings on list
Intel a bit less picky about ram compared to Ryzen so not sure it is cause. Its a possible maybe :)

power cable could be cause though, it can cause all sorts of errors.

Sep 1, 2019
until now I hadn't had any crashes since I added the cable, I'll report back as soon as I get another crash, or in about a week if I don't get anything, but thanks for the help until this point for now ^^

Sep 1, 2019
Ok, just had a crash, this time it was an
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Error.
Here is the Dump File : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j9LAemrOyTpmkRyr58tKGQ3kVioHwea0

Edit : just some visual stuff that I noticed (if it can help with finding the problem) :
  1. After the PC boots, the Q-Code is either A0 or 40 (I had an Asus MB on my old PC and A0 was default after booting, don't know if 40 is something bad or unusual)
  2. After crashes the RGB lightning on the AIO stops mid 'animation' and the mainboard RGB stops as well at the color values it last had.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/rjlB.html

File information:090319-10265-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 10:14:12)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ffxiv_dx11.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Sep 1, 2019
thanks for the help gardeman, just a question that has come to my mind over the last days, could it be that the PSU isn't delivering enough power ?
I just used the BeQuite! Calculator and it said (without asking for stuff like RGB lightning) that my system would use up to 729W of power, while my PSU supports 750, keeping in mind that the clock Speeds of my CPU automatically always go as hight as possible (which is arround 4.7 Ghz) it could lead to a bigger power consumption than the PSU is able to deliver...
I googled a bit and saw that one symptom could be bluescreens without having an actual Blue Screen, which matches my current problems, but I would like to hear what you guys say about that, before I go out and buy a new PSU just to see that it doesn't make a difference....

Ok just found that altough I uninstalled Asus AI Suit III , there were still Program Files and drivers that are part of AIS3 running on my PC, I decided to delete all ASUS stuff that were still on my PC, I hope that this helps...

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
how is it going?

IRQ errors are normally drivers, they can be ram or power, I guess, as power can effect everything but its not normally my starting point.

some of the asus drivers can stick around after you uninstall programs
try running autoruns and see if any of the below are still running at start up - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Aug 02 2010 AsUpIO.sys ASUS Update Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
Aug 22 2012 AsIO.sys ASUS Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
Apr 09 2019 AsIO2.sys Asus Input Output driver

ASio.sys is the file that seems to like to stick around.

if you not getting any errors,m don't worry about any of this :)

Sep 1, 2019
I had another freeze this morning, but no dump file was created, the only Asus thing that was still running is 'AsusUpdateCheck' that I don't really wan't to delete as it's within the system32 folder, where I'm not too eager to change anything (for now at least).

One thing that really grinded my gears was that the CPU clocks always were mach higher than I needed them to be, 4.7 Ghz on Idle is nice, but pretty useless, so I checked the BIOS manual and saw two options that I deactivated for now, CPU Boost and Multicore Enhancemend , the clock speeds are now much more reasonable and as long as I don't loose a lot of performance in games / software I'm okay with that...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asus were supposed to have turned MCE off.

yes, 4.7ghz at idle is not handy. Especially if you have PC running in High Performance power mode, as then its 4.7ghz all the time. Been there, though my cpu isn't that fast. It was still noticed in summer.

freezing isn't a typically software caused error. Was freeze before or after the bios changes?

wonder if it is ram... i know we been there before, and the ram you have is virtually same speed as what board should accept.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

just a thought.

Sep 1, 2019
well MCE has 3 options, on, off and 'Let Bios optimize' it was on the last setting on my BIOS, so just to be sure I turned it off, will wait again until I get another crash, but I think I'm at the point where I can rule out the RAM as the source of the problem, as I said I tested a kit of Vengeance LPX Ram that is listed and still had crashes and I don't think that I'm unlucky enough to get 2 RAM kits that are faulty... or at least I hope I am XD

Sep 1, 2019
okay so the PC is running now for over a week without any problems, no BSOD whatsoever,
so it was the boost mode and / or the mce in the BIOS that caused the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.