[SOLVED] New PC Grinding/Buzzing Noise

xJordannx

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2012
PC SPECS

I built my PC three months ago and since then have noticed a weird grinding/buzzing noise coming from the case. It's hard to pinpoint its exact location however it seems to be around the CPU area. The noise is not there constantly and instead is quite sporadic usually only appearing for a short time (sometimes for only a few seconds) when under load such as gaming, rendering or loading certain software.

I have tried adjusting my fan curves in the BIOS and GPU software to see if a fan is causing the issue but it does not appear to be; although of course I haven't tested the PSU fan as I'm unaware of how to do so easily. I have also ran a S.M.A.R.T. disk test on each drive which came back fine and the noise was not prevalent.

I have uploaded an audio file sample here of the sound which I recorded with my phone from the top of the PC case.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Solution
Sounds like either the cooler fan or the case fans are the culprit. Try testing them one by one and see if the same sound is produced under the same PC stressing conditions. Disconnect all but one of the case fans and see if they produce the same sound then rinse and repeat. Then try the air cooler fan the same way as well.

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Sounds like either the cooler fan or the case fans are the culprit. Try testing them one by one and see if the same sound is produced under the same PC stressing conditions. Disconnect all but one of the case fans and see if they produce the same sound then rinse and repeat. Then try the air cooler fan the same way as well.

Solution