Question New PC hangs after a short time

cooldude2

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

I put together a new PC from new parts, but a short time after boot up the PC just hangs. It does not turn off and does not show a blue screen error. It just stops responding to any inputs from mouse or keyboard and nothing changes on screen.
I am doing a new Windows 10 installation and I have tried to use multiple different SSD and HDD drives(even tried both SATA6 and M.2 connections), so that shouldn't be the issue. I removed the graphics cards for my tests, so that's not the issue.
I tried resetting BIOS and using different kinds of RAM stick setup(single, double and different slots). I checked the connections, to make sure that power cables are set firmly on the motherboard.
The only strage thing that I've found is that the BIOS menu opens with the default RAM speed of 2133MHZ. If I try to use XMP "Profile1", which sets the RAM speed to 3200MHZ, the PC even fails to boot to BIOS. Using 3200MHz, I tried changing voltages to 1.35V and 1.5V, but the PC still fails to boot to BIOS. So, for some reason, PC only boots with 2133MHz, so there might be an issue with RAM. Unfortunately, I do not have any other DDR4 RAM sticks to test this.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 3.60GHz 12MB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16 DIMM KIT OF 2
PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 850W

Could the RAM really be the cause of the PC stopping? What other things should I try to do?

Thanks

cooldude2

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
When does it become unresponsive, like at what point in the installation, also try putting memtest on a usb stick and booting of that

Thank you for your suggestions!
I tried memtest and, after 5 hours of running, it finished with 0 errors. Interesting that memtest showed RAM as 3200MHz, so maybe it managed to use RAM at the right speed.
But the hanging still persists on Windows installation. I've tried installing Windows multiple times and it usually happens after starting the installation, not long after copying Windows files. If I just let the installation stay on language select screen, it will end un hanging as well.

I read that CPU C-states can cause issues, so I'll try experimenting with that BIOS setting. Also, I'll try to get BIOS to use RAM at 3200MHz somehow. Maybe I'll even try to use a different USB stick, even though the file copying usually finishes in the installation process.
I don't want to install Windows 10 on the drive with a different device, becuase I wanted system drive to be on the M.2 SSD, for which I only have this motherboard.

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Have you tried using drives with windows installations already on it, because i had an issue like this which was the result of dead CPU, although it can be a dead Mobo as well, also it may be a bios issue as apparently Gigabyte's Z390 bios can have a variety of issues.

Reactions: cooldude2

cooldude2

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Have you tried using drives with windows installations already on it, because i had an issue like this which was the result of dead CPU, although it can be a dead Mobo as well, also it may be a bios issue as apparently Gigabyte's Z390 bios can have a variety of issues.
I installed Windows 10 from a different computer and had no problem booting up with that SSD on that computer, but after selecting the SSD on Gygabytes Z390 boot menu, it simply does nothing and I can just keep selecting it.
So this seems like the Mobo has some issue with writing and/or reading data from drives(M.2 and SATA3). I tried different SATA3 ports.
I will contact the vendor about this. If anything interesting comes up, I'll reply again, but probably it will be either fixed with a warranty, as this is a brand new Mobo, or replaced with a different one.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Last edited: