Question New PC hard freezes while gaming.

Nov 10, 2022
Hello,

I built a new PC a little over a week ago and on two different occasions, I've experienced my PC hard freezing while playing a game. No blue screen, it just completely locks up and I am forced to hold down the power button to reboot. I am pretty concerned because this is a brand-new build with all brand-new components. BIOS is up to date, all drivers are up to date, Windows 11 is up to date. All temperatures are good and nothing is coming close to overheating. I ran Windows' memory diagnostic and it found no errors. I also ran Prime95 torture test for a couple hours and found no problems. I know that it's preferable to run Prime95 for at least 12 hours, but from what I understand... if something is critically wrong, it's usually detected in the first hour or so. I did have issues with the RAM when XMP was first enabled. The RAM is rated to run at 3600 mhz but the system would not post with the RAM set to 3600 mhz. I had to clear CMOS and lower the RAM to 3200 mhz to get my system to post and then I lowered the RAM speeds down to 3000 mhz to ensure further stability. All components of the system are listed below. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I'm definitely not an expert at this kind of thing and I still have much to learn.

Case: NZXT H7 Elite

CPU: Ryzen 5600x

GPU: 6600 XT

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600

PSU: Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x, 750 Watt, Gold,

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming - A

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB NVME

Lutfij

Titan
Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for the BIOS version, can you please state what version you're on? As for your drivers, did you manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in elevated command? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Nov 10, 2022
Than
Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for the BIOS version, can you please state what version you're on? As for your drivers, did you manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in elevated command? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Thank you for the reply.

I just installed the OS with an official Windows 11 USB installer I purchased from Amazon.

BIOS is version 2806.

I'm not sure what elevated command is. I just went to ASUS's official support site and downloaded all the latest drivers from there, used AMD's Adrenalin software to install the GPU drivers, and then I just installed all the pending updates in Windows Update until it said that my system was up to date.

Ram sticks are in slots 2 and 4.

Lutfij

Titan
I just installed the OS with an official Windows 11 USB installer I purchased from Amazon.
Recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. When installing the OS, disconnect from the www to prevent the OS from downloading drivers it thinks is right for your platform.

I'm not sure what elevated command is.
Elevated command = Right click installer>Run as Administrator.