Question New PC hardware likely cause of audio issues, game crashes, and crashes to blackscreen/reboot

Aug 5, 2023
Hi there - this one is a doozy. I wanna get in front of this and say I'm not expecting a solution, just hoping to be pointed in the right direction. There's so many potential causes here I'd be thankful just to be able to narrow them down. There's some crash report info at the bottom if you want to skip to the good stuff.

I bought some PC parts from a friend:
  • Ryzen 7 1700X
  • GTX 1070
  • EVGA 600B PSU
  • 0477DV Mobo (This came with his Dell prebuilt so I think it's proprietary, there's not a lot of info I can see online. Prebuilt was an Inspiron 5675.)
This was for my wife's PC. I guess at that point, it was really more like putting her SSD in than swapping all the parts.
Anyways, almost immediately she started experiencing several issues in normal use and in games. First were sporadic crashes into reboot, with strange frequency. The PC would crash in this way sometimes three times within 10 minutes, but then not crash again for several days.

Then, when playing Sea of Thieves, she would get an error saying files were missing or corrupted, despite never having this issue before, and the game would crash. This has happened 5+ times in the couple weeks she's had the parts.

Lastly, she's experienced weird audio issues in the game. During fights, her sound would sometimes break and only the loudest of sounds would come through, sometimes nothing at all. If she started the game with the wrong audio device selected (like her headset), changing the audio device to her speakers wouldn't work - just silence. I've checked her Realtek audio drivers and they seem to be up to date (is 2017 really the latest driver date?).

After the crashes to reboot, I checked the Event Viewer for the fatal error logs and they say:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

I've checked after a few different crashes and the APIC ID can be different; I've seen 0, 8, and 12. This seems to indicate it's the processor, but I really hope not since it's secondhand (and likely past its warranty anyways) so I'd be SOL for an RMA. I downloaded AMD's driver update software and updated all of the CPU drivers and the problems have still persisted.

Any help at all is appreciated, even just better troubleshooting methods. Thanks so much.

Aug 5, 2023
Fresh install of Windows after the parts swap?
No, but I have a couple reasons to believe it's not the Windows install. Partly because these problems only started after installing the new parts, but also because my friend had similar issues using this build before he got new parts himself (I remember him mentioning audio issues and crashes). Seems to be something inherited from the parts.

No, but I have a couple reasons to believe it's not the Windows install. Partly because these problems only started after installing the new parts, but also because my friend had similar issues using this build before he got new parts himself (I remember him mentioning audio issues and crashes). Seems to be something inherited from the parts.
Ok. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS