Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Parts: Newest gen ryzen 7
B350/B450 motherboard
amd 5500 xt
Samsung evo 1 tb
Fast ddr4 ram
evga gold 750w psu
Sorry I don't know the exact parts! This post is for a friend so it isn't my build. It's all the newest gen stuff though, we got it at best buy less then a month ago and they only had the newest stuff.

The issue: So I put the computer together and installed a fresh version of Windows 10, worked perfectly. I go home, and he's saying that Steam is giving him disk writing errors. He's still able to play games during this time; just getting some strange errors and some crashes every now and then. The Steam forums weren't able to help with this at all. Move forward a week later, and he's telling me his computer hasn't started in a week. The PC will freeze in the bios, or get a failed at BSOD error on start up.

He says he's going to ensure the Samsung SSD is properly screwed in and connected, but that's all we could really think of. There isn't any other hard drive / ssd connected other than the EVO.

When the computer is running it works flawlessly; especially the last time I saw it playing games fresh after a Windows 10 install. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should try? Thanks in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
knowing more exact details of PC would help

did he flash bios on motherboard to be on the newest one?

did he make sure the ram he chose is on the compatibility listing for his motherboard and CPU? (list should be on motherboards support site) as that is one thing you have to have with ryzen

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Okay so I saw the PC this weekend, starting up but doesnt have any display whatsoever. He let me take the computer home with me to try troubleshooting some more, I also have another pc at home to test / swap parts with.
Take these with a grain of salt; but the CPU is a ryzen 5 3600x, and the ram is the Corsair Vengenace LPX 16 gb . The motherboard is one of the MSI Gaming ones but there's like 15 of those so will have to wait until I'm home to get an exact model of it. I haven't tried flashing the bios. How would I do that, especially with no display? There is a flash bios button, on the back of the IO shield. When I built it the thing was working perfectly, BUT.. the windows on there may have been pirated.. and he updated the windows. And yeah since then, absolutely nothing.

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
The first thing I'm going to try when I'm home is removing 1 stick of ram, unplugging all drives but the M2, swap the graphics card to the x8 slot and see if that provides display, if it does then flash bios. If it doesn't then maybe i'll try to flash bios with no display.

TRENDING THREADS