Question New PC high-end build stutters/hiccups/micro-freezes

Mar 22, 2021
Hello guys!

I have built this brand new build and I have the following issue: pc stutters first time when I open a game (or any app that uses GPU, such as OBS, and is the worst stutter) after a reboot and then I have random stutters in games (they are less noticeable - blink it and you miss it type). I would describe them like the PC freezes for a fraction of a second and then everything returns to normal. Some games capture this in the fps counter (such as league of legends).

A video with the stutter happening after a reboot when opening a game (around 0:08-0:09):

A league game captures with RTSS where you can see the fps drops and frametime spikes:
At this point I'm suspecting the RAM (because if you look at the RTSS graphs, when a fps drop occur the RAM Usage will have spike of load and then will free the memory slower than what the spike took from the CPU and GPU), MOBO (or even the case, no idea how to test for MOBO, but for case I'm planning to run the PC outside of case these days), something related to how electricity works, maybe VRM (because if you look at RTSS graphs, when there is a fps drop the fans drop in speed, even though there are spikes of usage in both CPU and GPU) or some strange drivers, even though I looked for drivers conflicts and nothing was in particular strange, and honestly I don't know how to rule them out or fix it entirely at the end. The reasons why I'm not suspecting the following: GPU because I managed to try it out in another person's PC with similar specs as mine and everything was fine, PSU because I just got a new one higher tier and the problem persists, CPU because there seems to be no stuttering when running CPU benchmarks like cinebench or even prime95 (maybe I could be wrong I'm open to suggestions).

One thing to note would be that when booting in safe mode minimal I have no kind of stuttering, however is hard to test since I can't open games or stuff like that to actually push for a stutter, which makes me think that in the end it is a driver issue, but when I boot the PC in safe mode with active directory repair, so that I can test games, the stutter happens (as far as I understand this launches some drivers)

I will post below my specs and troubleshooting that I did so far. Looking forward talking to you guys!!

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10GB GDDR6X 320-bit

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz box, 8 cores, 16 threads

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

BIOS Version: Version 2006 Beta Version 2021/03/22 (AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A) - with previous versions it was the same, updated to Beta to try out the new AGESA which didn't do much

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Dual Channel Kit (CMK32GX4M2D3600C18)

PSU: Corsair RM850 2019, 80+ Gold, 850W, Full Modular (1st PSU); Super Flower Leadex III Gold, 80+ Gold, 850W, Full Modular (current installed PSU)

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.870

GPU Drivers: Nvidia Game Ready 461.92

Extra build info:

Storage: 1x 240GB SSD for OS, 1x 1TB M2 SSD only for games, 2x 2TB HDD for random storage

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Peripherals:

Monitors: ASUS TUF LED VA curved, 1440p, 27", 165hz, Free-Sync, VG27WQ1B, connected via DisplayPort (Primary); ASUS LED, 1080p, 24", 144hz, VG248QE, connected via DisplayPort (Secondary, Portrait Flipped)

Keyboard: Logitech G PRO

Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight, stereo, USB, Wireless

Gamepads: Wireless MICROSOFT Xbox One x2, connected through xbox wireless adapter dongle - not connected all the time, only when playing some singleplayer games.

Troubleshooting:

1. Enabling and disabling DOCP profile
  2. Using different RAM frequencies
  3. Installing AMD chipset drivers (with and without on fresh windows install)
  4. Reinstalling graphics driver. Using Nvidia clean install, using DDU (safe mode, not connected to the internet), installed them using NVSlimmer. Also installed it without Nvidia HD Audio
  5. Reinstalling Windows - no internet connection, clean install, deleted everything from the drive, hit next on the unallocated space, disabled windows installing drivers, installed them manually
  6. Windows' Balanced (recommended)/High Performance power plans
  7. Trying to uninstall AMD SATA AHCI Controller (I didn't have it and still don't have it but I looked for it)
  8. Changing Communications Port (COM1)'s Flow control to hardware and disabling using FIFO buffers
  9. Disabling Paging file, manually setting it, letting it on automatically
  10. Disabling superfetch/sysmon service
  11. Disabled HPET in Windows both in Device Manager and using cmd commands
  12. Installed monitors drivers
  13. Changed mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500 and then othervalues
  14. Disabling and enabling xbox bar, dvr, game mode, gpu scheduling, .exe's compatibility mode/run as admin/full screen optimizations/high DPI settings
  15. Checked for driver conflicts (events in device manager looked good)
  16. Checked for GPU IRQ/MSI settings
  17. Disabled windows defender, firewall, control flow guard CFG, data execution prevention DEP, mandatory ASLR, bottom-up ASLR, high entropy ASLR, validate exception chains SEHOP, validate heap integrity
  18. Using only 1 monitor, each of them once (I had the 144hz one on my old build and everything was good, all peripherals too)
  19. Plugging monitors in different DP slots
  20. Disabling and enabling DDC/CI option of the monitor
  21. Disabling and enabling AURA
  22. Enabling and disabling RESIZE BAR
  23. Disabling and enabling C-states
  24. Disabling and enabling Gear Down Mode
  25. Disabling and enabling Power Down Mode
  26. Setting CMD2T to different values (1T/2T fixed for some people)
  27. Setting Power Supply Idle Control from Auto to Low Current Idle and Typical Current Idle
  28. Undervolting CPU
  29. Disabling and enabling PBO
  30. Changing PCIe from Auto to Gen3 and Gen4
  31. Resetting CMOS
  32. Removing HDDs, m2 ssd (after which things improved but the stutter came back the next day without installing it back), fan controller, case usbs
  33. Connecting PC to another socket in another room and even in another apartment
  34. Connecting GPU to other PCIe slots in the PSU
  35. Swapping RAM sticks in their slots (I'm using the correct slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 as per MOBO user manual instructions ). Tried with 1 stick at the time (In the DIMM_A2 slot as per user manual) and this cause loss of performance of around less 20 to 40 fps in Apex Legends
  36. Ran LatencyMon which showed a high DPC execution time on nvlddmkm.sys, thing that made me contact Nvidia support:
Nvidia specific troubleshooting - I spend yesterday the entire day with customer support trying to fix, in the end they told me they would escalate to Level2 support, but before that I want to make sure this isn't related to something else:

1. Enabling and disabling FreeSync
  2. Enabling and disabling V-Sync
  3. Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance
  4. Low latency mode off/on/ultra
  5. Nvidia Debug mode
  6. Threaded optimization on/off
  7. Hard capping fps to below refresh rate
  8. Disabling all non Microsoft services
  9. PhysX settings Auto-Select (recommended)/GPU/CPU
  10. Confirmed that GPU is connected via 2 separate cables to PSU
  11. Changing GPU slot (which caused really poor performance because the other slot was PCIe 3) and moving it back

Mar 22, 2021
Hello and thanks for reply - with either one of the monitors it behaves the same.
The OS SSD is 40% filled, the gaming SSD is 50% filled, HDD1 is 36% filled and HDD2 is 31%.
One note would be that I also did a clean Windows install on the gaming SSD and the stutter persisted. The HDDs are for random storage and not constantly in use

Mar 22, 2021
Unplugged both of the HDDs and the problem persists.
Nothing in particular running the background, no AV, solid image background, no chrome, no music player, no random apps, no RGB utility software, Windows defender disabled, etc - problem still persists. Also tried disabling all non-Microsoft services before rebooting, it's the same.

In minimal safe mode I have 0 stutters, however I can't do much testing since I can't start games or anything like that. The moment I switch to safe mode with Active Directory repair so that I can play games, the stutters come back - this make me think that it could be a driver issue

Mar 24, 2021
It looks like a Graphic card problem, do you have another graphic card you can test on it? 3000 series has been having high temp and random freeze problem since launch.

Mar 22, 2021
I do not have another GPU handy, but I have tried the GPU in another PC where there was no stuttering. Builds were really similar, 3080 gpu but different manufacturer, 5800x cpu, asus b550-plus mobo, same PSU, the only noticeable difference would be the case where I have a midtower and they had a full tower.

Mar 24, 2021
I do not have another GPU handy, but I have tried the GPU in another PC where there was no stuttering. Builds were really similar, 3080 gpu but different manufacturer, 5800x cpu, asus b550-plus mobo, same PSU, the only noticeable difference would be the case where I have a midtower and they had a full tower.
Check your GPU temp while gaming, smaller space for airflow could be a cause for over heating, and a cooked GPU can cause all of those symptom you have. Although I doubt 3080 would even need to spin the fan for playing LOL....

jtk2515

Distinguished
Are you using a surge protector? I had this problem before and had to replace it. Also was the other computer you tested the GPU in your house? Do you have access to a UPS you could try with your computer and see if it goes away. Kept us posted towards your progress I would be interested to know what it is.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021
Are you using a surge protector? I had this problem before and had to replace it. Also was the other computer you tested the GPU in your house? Do you have access to a UPS you could try with your computer and see if it goes away. Kept us posted towards your progress I would be interested to know what it is.
Not using a surge protector, just a simple extension cord which I guess has some safety features in it. I tried plugging the PC in another socket in another room (on a different electrical circuit) but the problem persists, I don't think it's the electrical circuit in my home because the last PC was in the same room and had no such issue with it.
The computer in which I tested my GPU was in another apartment, in another neighborhood - I'm planning to go there with the entire PC to try different our different parts in their PC.
I don't have access to a UPS unfortunately :( but then again I didn't have this issue with my former PC (i5 6600k, 980ti)

May 14, 2021
I made an account to respond to this. I had the same issue. Completely uninstall all asus software. Many others have had micro stuttering issues like you and me. Specifically the lightsync task. I accidentally disabled all Microsoft services and I had to reset windows. I don’t have that installed at all and now there’s stutter again but it’s significantly better. But asus software is incredibly unoptimized, it will cause lag

Sep 1, 2021
I know this is quite an old thread, but I have a similar configuration and was having almost exactly the same problem. My rig specs are: Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus ROG Strix X570-E M/B, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 RAM, 2x Corsair Force MP600 Gen4 NVMe SSD 1TB in RAID-0 (in M/B M.2 slots), 1x Sabrent Rocket Gen4 NVMe SSD 1TB (in PCI-e M.2 expansion card), 1x WD Black 4TB 7200 HDD (mass slow storage/backups/etc), Zotac RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB, 1x USB 3.2 gen2x2 PCI-e card w/connected USB 3.2 gen2x2 PCI-e M.2 housing holding ADATA 1TB PCI-e Gen3 NVMe SSD (for near-Thunderbolt-speed external storage), Asus ROG Strix LC360 AIO Cooler, Asus ROG 750w 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox Mesh Case, LG OLED55BXPUA 55" 120hz HDR OLED Dispay, Razer this-that-blah-blah-peripherals across the board...yada yada yada.....anyway, the system was running fantastic, then one day several things happened nearly simultaneously- Windows Update (I get Insider Preview Builds- Dev Channel) installed the Windows 11 Build 22000.168 build, Nvidia updated to the driver like maybe 3 or 4 updates ago- I don't recall which version it was at that time, and I had just happened to update my motherboard BIOS to the (at that time) latest stable release...since all these things happened within about 4 hours of one another, I wasn't real sure which was causing the issue- that issue being that the system suddenly started taking over 5 mins to fully boot from POST to idle with all apps/services loaded and running, during this time (and sporadically from time to time) you can even see the movement of the mouse pointer hang and jump around and stutter- the system seemed to be literally choking on itself...like either the CPU was dying or the RAM was suddenly in REAL bad shape....the idea of either of which being tragic...I literally Google'd and searched and tried EVERYTHING I could POSSIBLY think of to fix this, and NOTHING was working....I did everything except reinstall Windows, since it takes a month of Sundays to get the system back to where I want it from a clean install, and restoring an image would only serve to restore the issue, because go figure I only keep the most recent backup image on the 4TB HDD in a separate partition that's imaged with Macrium Reflect, so I updated that after the first clean boot of Win11 once the system updated when everything was still seeming to run perfectly fine. So, here I've got this system that's nearly unusable, yet filled with high-end components, and I'm dreading the idea of having to scrap the install and spend the next 2 weeks reinstalling everything.....the reason I have the extra 1TB SSD on an expansion card is because I also keep a copy of Arch Linux on the system and I didn't want to (nor COULD I- at least not short of EXTENSIVE modifications to the linux kernel to include the AMD-RAID driver that's POORLY supported on linux) partition the RAID-0 array and dual-boot the systems, but the point is, I was able to just boot to my linux OS to use the system while trying to figure out why Windows was crapping all over me. On the plus side, the fact that the system operated perfectly in linux just confirmed my suspicions that it was NOT a hardware problem and WAS, in fact, a Windows issue. I tried DISM and SFC on the system files, I tried removing and reinstalling ALL the drivers in the system, systematically, looking for the issue- nothing solved the problem. Finally, I stumbled upon the culprit, and it's only because I'm a ridiculous privacy enthusiast and I totally LOATHE Microsoft's implementation of spyware commonly known as "Telemetry". Turns out, it's exactly this that was causing the problem and once discovered a few related Google searches turned up others having the exact same experience! So, I use a program called O&O Shut Up for Windows 10, and it's function is to give you a GUI with a LOT of options and adjustability to pretty much completely control what you allow Windows to do in regards to anything that's a potential violation of privacy. From Cortana-based stuff, to keylogging (think Clipboard sharing across devices), to the telemetry services that launch at startup, you name it, it's in there (with appropriate warnings where turning off a certain feature/function will hinder or even break certain features or functions). Now, I had used this program BEFORE updating to Win11, but one of the caveats of Microsoft's Insider program is that if you want to download/install preview builds you MUST not only leave the basic telemetry enabled, but you have to agree to ALL the additional reporting as well. That said, I had to go into O&O and turn the telemetry functions back on (I basically just restored all the settings back to system-default) long enough to download and install the update, then I return and turn it all back off again. This, of course, breaks the ability to download further builds, so when there's a large update (beyond the normal patches, like a Feature Update) I have to turn all the spyware back on to take it- that's the only real downfall to getting the Insider's Builds.....anyway, what I found was that when I DISABLE the telemetry- ALL THE ISSUES DISAPPEAR!! The system runs like a scolded dog! Fast and responsive, boots up from POST to idle in less than 90 seconds (I have a lot of things that load on login that are in addition to the usual stuff most folks would have)!! There is a specific system service that seems to be the culprit, and I just fired up services.msc to refresh my memory as to what it was called, but MS made a change and it's now called Windows Insider Service in Windows 11.....it was called something else in Windows 10 2004, and unfortunately, I don't remember what it was named, but I would almost be willing to bet that for the folks who are having this same problem and when you've tried everything and nothing seems to solve it, it's the privacy settings and telemetry causing the issue! A quick Google search will produce a half dozen results on various forums where the specifics are delved into, and this post is long enough, so I won't reproduce all that here, but I will give you the short list of services I have disabled- some of these require making adjustments in the Group Policy Editor or the Registry, like the DNS Client, for instance, and I'm also not going into all that here as the instructions are a quick search away, but all that aside here's the list:

All DISABLED:
Auto Time Zone Updater
Certificate Propogation
Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
DialogBlockingService
Microsoft App-V Client
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service
Microsoft Keyboard Filter (I suspect this is one of the services that facilitates the keylogging)
Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service
Program Compatibility Assistant Service
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
SHared PC Account Manager
User Experience Virtualization Service
Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)
WMI Performance Adapter

Now, if you need any of these then obviously don't disable them lol And, you can always simply stop the service and see how the system responds before totally disabling it. Also, some of these will require a restart before you'll notice any differences. There's a few other services that I also changed from Automatic Start to Manual Startup but left enabled just in case I needed them, like the Smart Card service- since I use a Trezor and a Ledger device for 2nd Factor Authentication, same as you would a Yubikey or similar...it just so happens that both devices have modules you can install and enable that do the same thing, as well as a few that will store your PGP keys and SSH keys so that you can keep them with you (for 1) and don't need to keep your private keys accessible on your device (for 2); if you use, say, Putty for connecting via SSH to a remote system and that remote system is configured to log you in using key authentication (as opposed to password authentication) then you can simply plug in your Trezor/Ledger/Yubikey and make your connection- the server will implement a secure handshake with your client and the device will prompt you to press a button or enter a PIN and you're instantly logged in.....WAYYYYY better than password auth which can be bruteforced, phished, keylogged, etc with relatively little effort in most cases by your less-then-honorable-variety of hacker....but, ahem, yeah, anyway, before I get TOTALLY side-tracked into another tangent on security I'll just end it here lol

Hope that anyone who denied the urge to TL;DR this post got some help out of it!

Best,
Rx8driver