New PC, I have some questions

zmexy

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
So, I finally decided to buy a new PC, but I am pretty noob at this and I have some questions. This is what I want to buy:
- motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS
- graphic card: Asus GTX770
- HDD: WD blue 1TB
- RAM memory: Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB
- Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
- Power Supply: Corsair CX750
- Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case

My questions are:
1. Are all this components compatible?
2. Is the power supply enough?
3. Will everything fit in the case?
4. Should I buy new fans ?
5. Is the build good?

Solution
If you don't plan to overclock, then another change you can make to save yourself some money is the motherboard. The one you have is a really nice one for overclocking, the Z87 chipset. Since you don't plan to overclock, you can get the H87 chipset version of the same motherboard.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h87plus

Note: changing to that motherboard will take away your options for SLI in the future. SLI is adding a second graphics card to your system. If that is an issue for you, we can find a different motherboard, just say the word and I (or someone else) will point you in the right direction.

SSDs are optional. They greatly increase windows boot times, and make the operating system a lot snappier. Everything...

Alex11223

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
1. Yes.
2. It is more than enough. Even 500-600 is enough.
5. Depends on purpose of this PC. If it is gaming, I would change i7 to i5 and GTX 770 to GTX 780 because usually GPU is more important and i7 doesn't add a lot of difference comparing to i5 in many games.

I would add SSD. At least 128 GB, should be enough for OS and some software.

If you are not planning to overclock, you can take CPU without the "k" prefix (4770 etc.) and cheaper motherboard.

Yes, all the components are compatible, and for the most part you've made some great choices. A few comments/questions

1. What is the purpose of this computer besides gaming? Do you need it for video encoding or something? I ask because in general, the i5-4670K cpu is more common on a gaming build. The i7 does not increase performance in gaming, but is very useful for things like video encoding. If you are building this just for gaming, you could drop to the i5 and save money.
2. Make sure that ram you are getting is two sticks of 4gb, not one stick of 8gb. The system can then use the memory in dual channel mode for increased performance.
3. Since you are looking at a 'k' type cpu, I am going to assume you plan to overclock. That being the case, you are going to need an aftermarket cooler for your cpu as the stock one that comes with it will not be able to handle the extra heat. The most common fan is the hyper 212 evo.
4.The power supply is a good wattage, maybe a little overkill. A solid 600W would suffice, and I would actually steer you away from the CX lineup from Corsair as it's generally agreed that it isn't the best quality for a high end system like the one you are building. What country are you in, and what site do you shop from? If you are in the U.S., there is a good mail in rebate right now for the corsair TX650W
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu650tx

zmexy

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
First, thank you for answers guys, this really helps me. I am going to use this just for gaming and other common stuff. I dont want to overclock, I didnt know that the "k" verion is for overclocking. I will drop the i7 4770k to i5 4670, I dont need 4670k if I don't overclock, do I? I will change the corsair cx750w with the corsair tx650w that you suggested. Why would I need SSD? I will assume that I dont need new fans. And the question that still stands is if all the components will fit in the case. And for the ram memory will Kingston Hyper X Blu 2x4GB be good?

Alex11223

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
SSD makes a lot of programs and the OS itself load and run faster, makes it more "responsive", etc. Also they are silent and HDD usually is the most loud component in the PC. There are a lot of articles about advantages of SSD.
Usually people buy a 120-256 GB SSD to install OS, common programs and some heavy programs like MS Office, Photoshop, and a HDD to store big files like movies, photos, and maybe games if they don't fit to the SSD (SSD makes game level loading faster but in most games, except MMORPG, it doesn't make a lot of difference).

I dont need 4670k if I don't overclock?
Yes. Also you can take cheaper motherboard. H87/B85 instead of Z87.

If you don't plan to overclock, then another change you can make to save yourself some money is the motherboard. The one you have is a really nice one for overclocking, the Z87 chipset. Since you don't plan to overclock, you can get the H87 chipset version of the same motherboard.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h87plus

Note: changing to that motherboard will take away your options for SLI in the future. SLI is adding a second graphics card to your system. If that is an issue for you, we can find a different motherboard, just say the word and I (or someone else) will point you in the right direction.

SSDs are optional. They greatly increase windows boot times, and make the operating system a lot snappier. Everything happens faster when you use an SSD. It does not improve game performance, other than faster loading screens. So whether or not you get one is up to you. If you have the money, I'd get one. I have one and love it just for how fast windows boots up. But again, optional.

For ram, what speed is it? DDR3 1600? I usually stick to Corsair or G.skill for ram myself, but assuming the speed of that Kingston ram is compatible, I'm sure it will be fine.

And yes, everything we have been talking about so far should all fit in that case. The manufacturer of your case doesn't specify any limitations on graphics card sizes so I'm assuming it will fit anyways. All it says is "the Guardian 921 gives the user ample space for large, high-end video cards"

Solution

zmexy

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks a lot guys. You really helped me a lot. At the advice of both of you I will take a cheaper motherboard and I will take Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4 GB. Thanks a lot again, you are the best.