New PC - i9 9900k or i7 9700k or i7 8700k or Ryzen 2700X or wait and build later

bunjee23

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi guys,

I am in the market to upgrade my current PC and would appreciate some unbiased advice.

I have already purchased a few things which I wanted such as a new case, a Fractal Design Define R6, a new AIO cooler, a Fractal design Celsius s24, and a power supply, Seasonic Prime Ultra 650w 80+ Gold.

I have to admit here that I’ve always had Intel chips so I originally decided to go with Intel, and was waiting for the i9 9900k and the i7 9700k to be released so that I could see what they would be like. Now after a few reviews I’m not so sure as they seem a little underwhelming, and of course expensive. I could afford to go with one of these chips, but for the price they are not that attractive.

Now it seems, if I want to build now, I have a choice between the i7 8700k (or not k) and a Ryzen chip, probably the 2700X. Of course I could put the build off until the Intel 10nm is ready or the 2nd generation Ryzens are here, as my current system is doing OK for what I use it for.

I was also looking at the new RTX cards for graphics, but they seem pretty much the same as the Intel chip release, as they also seem a little underwhelming and expensive. My initial thought was for the RTX2070 but maybe a GTX1080. I currently have a GTX1060 6Gb.

I like to play games, like Dirt Rally and the Project Cars games plus a couple of first person shooters like DOOM and the Wofenstein games. Strictly single player campaigns as I don’t like any of the current online stuff. I play all my games at 1440p as my wife recently bought me a 32 inch 2K display.

I’d just like to know what other people think about building a new PC now, or waiting until the middle of next year and see what has happened.

Current PC specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K (not overclocked)
Motherboard - ASRock Z97 Pro4
Memory – 16Gb Kingston Value RAM Dual channel (4 x 4Gb) DDR3
Graphics Card – Asus Strix GTX 1060 6Gb OC
Boot drive – Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB SATA

fredfinks

Honorable
Rendering? AMD
A bit of video encoding, games and the usual? Intel. Intel dominates games. The minimum frame drops are the biggest difference. 8700k is still very good. id suggest that or the 9700k.

If i was to do one thing for your system it would be to upgrade your GPU to a 1080ti. Great pairing with 1440p. 2080 is slightly better but more $.

Dont forget you can find cpu and gpu 2nd hand on ebay and save a bit.

My Fractal R6 system is similar, if you upgrade. Built in June (quite a few parts carried over from older build). i spend a ton on storage though. Strongly recommend going noctua air over an all in one liquid.
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/TKkdnQ

Jul 21, 2018
Well for gaming specifically go for the i9 9900k only if you are willing to spend that much on it because it is the CPU king of gaming. But if you want a more reasonable option go for the i7 9700k, it's a great chip, and much cheaper and outperforms the i7 8086k. If you choose not to do that and you go with the i7 8700k, do not feel bad about the decision it still is a great chip, however, if you choose to buy that one do not get the non k one. Even if you do not plan on overclocking it, it just is not worth it to lose money on getting a non k ESPECIALLY if you are getting a water cooler. Now for the GPU. In my personal rig that I'm going to get, I'm going to get an RTX 2080 ti, however, that does not mean that this is bang for the buck. In your situation, I think you should simply just get a 1080 ti and maybe a slit bit of overclocking for it (but this one is not as important as the CPU, even the CPU can only do a lot in SOME games, but anyway, this is not as important because the GPU comes really well clocked with Nvidia's GPU boost 3.0, overclocking does not really do much for the GPU.) So if I was in your position I would get the i7 9700k paired with a low to mid rang Z390 mobo along with a 1080 ti.

bunjee23

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
I've decided to go with Intel for sure, but am still not sure about which chip. I've just about ruled out the i9 9900k as it really is too expensive, so I need to choose between the i7 9700k or the i7 8700k. At the moment the newer chip is only available for pre order and I'm not keen on pre orders. On the other hand I can pick up the 8700k for about $590 Au.
I have ordered a motherboard, a ASRock Z390 Taichi (I was able to get a 20% discount) and 16Gb of 3200 GSkill RAM so can go with either chip. I will probably get another 16Gb a bit down the track.
I still have to decide on a GPU and think it is between the GTX1080ti and the RTX2070. I am still dithering over this. I can always put my 1060 in the new build until a decision is made. I would like to see more reviews of the RTX cards before buying as it is unclear what the advantages are to the RTX range.
Thanks for the input so far.

fredfinks

Honorable

CPU- dont forget to have a look whats on ebay regarding the 8700k. Anyhow have a look at comparison and make a choice , either choice is good.

GPU- its either 2080 or 1080ti. Raytracing perf is too poor, its just been born and wont be ready for years.
If 2080 is too much go for a 1080ti used on ebay. Hardly any diff in performance. 2070? no. seek the 1080ti.

Should say - monitor. What are you doing? youll want a large 30"+ 1440p screen. recommend a 32" 16:9 as 16:9 fits with most content. work, video, browsing etc. Also games. WAY more compatible. Itll also have more screen area than a 34" 21:9.
Samsung non-curved, VA, 1440p business class s32d850. $650 AU

amazon page: youll find it at some aussie stores:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WQHD-LED-Monitor-S32D850T/dp/B00L3KNOF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540558794&sr=8-1&keywords=s32d850

LG also does a 31.5" 16:9 with gysnc but its much more expensive, 1/2 inch less screen and worse quality. (uniformity etc) Dont buy curved 16:9. If you go 21:9 go for 34". Still dont recommend though.

Dont gyp out on that sweet build with a small sub 30", crappy monitor. itll be a waste. Youll have power, use it to drive the very thing you look at - the monitor.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I read your response and why not just wait a bit until you know for sure what gpu to get? You shouldn't really see much improvement with the same cpu. If you are doing gaming and general use you waiting on the gpu for everything, unless there is something you are doing now that will benefit from it.

If you can get 60fps 1440 now then even more of a reason to maybe wait and see what comes. Not sure how much you will be paying, but from what I've seen prices are a little high and they should settle.

Does your cpu have a bit of room from bottlenecking that 1060? Maybe getting a gpu and see how your cpu handles it. If it does well you can hold out for 10nm. Just a few thoughts, good luck.

bunjee23

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
I have definitely gone with Intel and have ordered a i7 8700k. I picked it up for just over $500 AU so couldn't pass it up. I also orderd a Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb NVMe drive for about $200 AU.
So it now leaves the GPU, which I think I'll just sit on for a while. I have looked into getting a 1080ti but that would cost about $1200 AU at the moment so it seems prudent to wait a bit and see if the price comes down.
I'm not having any trouble playing my games with the 1060 at the moment and I assume it won't change very much with the new CPU.
Thanks for your responses, they have really helped.