Question New PC just out of the box and half ram is hardware reserved?

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Hello,

First of all i would like to say that i checked a few other posts but nothing helped my situation, so i thought i should ask directly.

I just bought a new PC and today i plugged it in for the first time, installed windows just fine and then i opened my task manager to check the performances and to my surprise, more than half the ram is hardware reserved. (16GB installed, 7.9GB useable, 8.1GB Hardware Reserved). Also i didn't build the PC myself, i asked the company to sent it to me "prebuilt".

The build is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz Six-Core Pinnacle Ridge
MB: ASRock B450 Gaming K4
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000MHz
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC
Windows: Windows 10 Professional x64

The DIMMs are installed in slots 2 and 4 and according to CPU-Z they are running at 1064.1MHz Dual Channel (2133MHz).

Things i tried:
-BIOS is up to date so i didn't mess with that (latest version).
-Remove the DIMMs and separately test them to see if they are actually working. Both of them booted up and showed 8GB of ram, none reserved.
-Tried to change the profile from BIOS, it was set to Auto so i changed it to XMP 2.0 and 2400MHz just in case but here i found another problem, the PC restarted, didn't boot and then it restarted again by itself with 2133MHz settings
-Tried the check-uncheck Maximum Memory box on msconfig (it was unchecked by default).
-Reinstall windows although it was just freshly installed.

I do not remember if i tried anything else at the moment but any help is appreciated. Thank you very much!

TTOtC0C.jpg

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Hello, first of all thank you for the fast reply.

I was just looking at the motherboard Manual and i came across some interesting information.

According to Page 23 on the Manual it says that for Pinnacle Ridge Ryzen Series CPU it supports 2667MHz on SR (Single Rank) on Slots 2 and 4, and up to 2400MHz on DR (Dual Rank) on slots 2 and 4. Maybe is that the reason that it couldn't boot up when i used 2400MHz? Because according to CPU-Z my DIMMs are both Single Rank

EDIT- So i tried both the 2667Mhz Profile and the 3000Mhz one, none of them booted and it automatically reverted to 2133MHz again

Last edited:

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
UPDATE-

So i figured out something. Apparently if i put the DIMMs in slot 1 and 2 instead of 1-3 or 2-4 they get recognized and i can use all 16GB, although they are working as single channel.

Is this supposed to happen? And how am i better using them as 16gb single channel or 8gb dual channel?

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Hello, thanks for your reply!

My version is indeed 3.50, and i do see it in the site that it is not recommended if im running Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU. But it came out of the box with 3.50
You think i should flash 3.40 ? Since it's my first time doing this i have to also ask, is there any chance its going to mess up with my windows installation and i gotta reinstall?

Metalkeik

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Alright, i will think about it since i'm not 100% commited on potentially bricking a new MB. Although i kinda feel "what can go wrong" because the Asrock site has a guide on how to do it, but still you never know.

I guess ill run them in slots 1-2 as 16GB single channel for now. Thank you for your time! I will repost in case i go ahead with the BIOS downgrade.

TRENDING THREADS