Question New PC keeps crashing frequently when gaming ?

Apr 26, 2024
Hi,

Recently I bought and built my new pc. But ever since it's been nothing but trouble.
Whenever I'm playing a game that really puts a load on the system, the pc very often just crashes out of nowhere. It does not give a blue screen. it either freezes and does nothing anymore or it spontaniously restarts without any warning or error.

My specs:
CPU: AMD 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 Super
Motherboard: Asrock A620I
RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance at 6000hz
PSU: Cooler Master V SFX Gold ATX 3.0 850W
Case: Fractal Ridge

I've tried a lot to try to find the problem and fix it, but I'm still no closer then when I started.
Things tried:
- change PCI mode to gen3
- take side panels off to see if PSU was choking
- checked temps (are all fine)
- made sure the Nvidia power connector has enough room (even with panels off it still crashes)
- updated everything. From drivers to Windows itself.
- reinstalled enitre pc
- Checked Windows error log, could only find kernel error which said the power cut off unexpectedly.

I don't know what to do anymore and I really need to find out what the issue is exactly because I don't want to have to send the entire pc back.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Recently I bought and built my new pc. But ever since it's been nothing but trouble.
Whenever I'm playing a game that really puts a load on the system, the pc very often just crashes out of nowhere. It does not give a blue screen. it either freezes and does nothing anymore or it spontaniously restarts without any warning or error.
My specs:
CPU: AMD 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 Super
Motherboard: Asrock A620I
RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance at 6000hz
PSU: Cooler Master V SFX Gold ATX 3.0 850W
Case: Fractal Ridge
I've tried a lot to try to find the problem and fix it, but I'm still no closer then when I started.
Things tried:
- change PCI mode to gen3
- take side panels off to see if PSU was choking
- checked temps (are all fine)
- made sure the Nvidia power connector has enough room (even with panels off it still crashes)
- updated everything. From drivers to windows
- reinstalled enitre pc
- Checked windows error log (could only find kernel error which said the power cutoff unexpectedly)
I don't know what to do anymore and I really need to find out what the issue is exactly because I don't want to have to send the entire pc back.
I don't see "BIOS update" in your list of attempted fixes.
Personally, I would never choose an "A" motherboard for a gaming PC. Yes, the 7800X3D is supported, but the "A" level motherboards are the lowest level of chipset for AMD. Maybe that is just my personal bias.

Apr 26, 2024
I don't see "BIOS update" in your list of attempted fixes.
Personally, I would never choose an "A" motherboard for a gaming PC. Yes, the 7800X3D is supported, but the "A" level motherboards are the lowest level of chipset for AMD. Maybe that is just my personal bias.
That's the first time I've heard that. I've heard good things about A series motherboards. No idea how to test if that would be the issue though.
Bios updates are also done. Could not remember everything I've done so far.

Apr 26, 2024
Right now I'm testing it out with all the sides and the top off So that the GPU power cable (Nvidia 12VHPWR) gets as much room as possible. It get's quite cramped in the case for the power cable, but I've never heard of issues with it in the Fractal Ridge. People even put 4090's in the thing.
So far no crashing, but as the problem is so inconsistent I will keep testing the upcoming days.

Have you set the EXPO profile for the RAM in BIOS? Have you tried running it with the EXPO turned off? I was having the same issue when I first built my AM5 pc, it wasnt until I updated the BIOS that EXPO worked. AM5 is REALLY fussy with RAM speeds/timings.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Apr 26, 2024
Have you set the EXPO profile for the RAM in BIOS? Have you tried running it with the EXPO turned off? I was having the same issue when I first built my AM5 pc, it wasnt until I updated the BIOS that EXPO worked. AM5 is REALLY fussy with RAM speeds/timings.
I will test that out after I've had more time testing out if the problem persists when the GPU power cable is less restricted.

Apr 26, 2024
This week I've hjad the panels off to give the gpu cable more room. the entire time there was no crash. No I tried it with the panels on again and within 10 minutes there was a crash.
Looks like the Nvidia power cable (12VHPWR cable) is indeed the culprit, but it's hard to know for 100% certain.

Any advice on custom cables? I know you have to be very carefull with power cables from the PSU, but I don't know if it's the same with the special Nvidia connector as the gpu and psu both have it.

This week I've hjad the panels off to give the gpu cable more room. the entire time there was no crash. No I tried it with the panels on again and within 10 minutes there was a crash.
Looks like the Nvidia power cable (12VHPWR cable) is indeed the culprit, but it's hard to know for 100% certain.

Any advice on custom cables? I know you have to be very carefull with power cables from the PSU, but I don't know if it's the same with the special Nvidia connector as the gpu and psu both have it.
Is the side panel pressing on the cable? Personally, I would avoid 3rd party 12VHPWR cables, I hope someone can advise you further.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023

When you took the side panels off, you likely had more cooling also.