[SOLVED] New pc keeps crashing while gaming

ItsMugen

Reputable
Jan 21, 2021
So, I've been having problems with my new pc. I've had 4 crashes while gaming since last night when I built it. its not a fully PC crash, its just my games are crashing and closing. I've also had it freeze one time where i cant even close the game. I have updated all drivers, turned XMP on, and made sure my CPU was running at %100 min power in the power settings on my PC. I just had a crash when opening PUBG where my temps are at around 35C which leads me to believe i may not be my temps, but i don't know any more. The only thing i can think of is are my temps are pretty high. When idle im averaging between 30C-40C, but when im gaming in Valorant and Lost Ark (which is where my crashes are happening) It idles at around 65C-70C and even shooting up to 75C at times. I've ran a Cinebench test, but i had to stop it because my temps where going up in the 90s. I don't know if this is normal or not, but my PC gave me warnings that my cores were overheating. I also made sure my CPU cooler was inserted correctly and reapplied thermal paste. One thing I also noticed, in one of the crashes is when using Core Temp, most of my CPU cores shot up to 73C and 76C. I haven't done any overclocking, all I've done in the bios is turn my XMP profile on. Please any help would be appreciated, i have tried all I know.

Image of Core Temp, as you can see the highs where when my PC crashed. My temps right now are at idle View: https://imgur.com/QsO4mqm

UserBenchmark: I don't know if my CPU is throttling, but i already did what it says View: https://imgur.com/9aJZO7K

Resourse Monitor when i tried opening PUBG: View: https://imgur.com/a/4kEv4UB

GPU temps when running PUBG: View: https://imgur.com/a/l250cWy

GPU: RTX Suprim x 3070 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F
CPU: Cooler Scythe FUMA 2
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660-Plus D4 ATX LGA1700
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair RMX (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
2 Monitor set up: AOC G2460P 1920x1080p 60Hz, LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible

Solution
It does sound like a temperature issue that your test has uncovered.
The cpu will monitor it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That point is around 100c.
Possibly the measuring software is not accurate if your max is 75c.
I would normally expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
With a 3070ti installed, you need good case airflow.
At least 2 120/140mm front intakes and a 120mm rear exhaust should be ok.

Install HWmonitor and run a simple cpu-z stress test.
Look for 100c. on any core. That would indicate throttling.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can try and reseat the cooler. Maybe temps can be improved that way

You could look at the same energy settings for the cpu and change System cooling policy to active. Shall increase fan speed before downclocking the cpu, depending on temps.

Would like to see a link to the userbenchmark results. It shows more than the picture alone.

Saw at first link processor frequency and is 100.57x48. The 100.57 should be 100, if higher will the ram slightly be overclocked too and other parts of the system might be too, so go into the bios and set it manually to 100.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021
So, I've been having problems with my new pc. I've had 4 crashes while gaming since last night when I built it. its not a fully PC crash, its just my games are crashing and closing. I've also had it freeze one time where i cant even close the game. I have updated all drivers, turned XMP on, and made sure my CPU was running at %100 min power in the power settings on my PC. I just had a crash when opening PUBG where my temps are at around 35C which leads me to believe i may not be my temps, but i don't know any more. The only thing i can think of is are my temps are pretty high. When idle im averaging between 30C-40C, but when im gaming in Valorant and Lost Ark (which is where my crashes are happening) It idles at around 65C-70C and even shooting up to 75C at times. I've ran a Cinebench test, but i had to stop it because my temps where going up in the 90s. I don't know if this is normal or not, but my PC gave me warnings that my cores were overheating. I also made sure my CPU cooler was inserted correctly and reapplied thermal paste. One thing I also noticed, in one of the crashes is when using Core Temp, most of my CPU cores shot up to 73C and 76C. I haven't done any overclocking, all I've done in the bios is turn my XMP profile on. Please any help would be appreciated, i have tried all I know.

Image of Core Temp, as you can see the highs where when my PC crashed. My temps right now are at idle View: https://imgur.com/QsO4mqm

UserBenchmark: I don't know if my CPU is throttling, but i already did what it says View: https://imgur.com/9aJZO7K

Resourse Monitor when i tried opening PUBG: View: https://imgur.com/a/4kEv4UB

GPU temps when running PUBG: View: https://imgur.com/a/l250cWy

GPU: RTX Suprim x 3070 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F
CPU: Cooler Scythe FUMA 2
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660-Plus D4 ATX LGA1700
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair RMX (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
2 Monitor set up: AOC G2460P 1920x1080p 60Hz, LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible
Okay so the same thing is happening to me I'll be playing my game will freeze up my ping will shoot up to like 1400- 1500. The game will minimize itself and then I have to unminimize it and then sometimes it'll be okay for 5-10 minutes sometimes it's 10 to 15 seconds that it'll stutter and then close again. So I'm not sure if it's the game or if it's something else. I don't know if any of this sounds similar to what you're going through but I've been dealing with it Non-Stop and it's annoying.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Okay so the same thing is happening to me I'll be playing my game will freeze up my ping will shoot up to like 1400- 1500. The game will minimize itself and then I have to unminimize it and then sometimes it'll be okay for 5-10 minutes sometimes it's 10 to 15 seconds that it'll stutter and then close again. So I'm not sure if it's the game or if it's something else. I don't know if any of this sounds similar to what you're going through but I've been dealing with it Non-Stop and it's annoying.
Create your own thread.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/systems.7/post-thread

ItsMugen

Reputable
Jan 21, 2021
Okay, let us know how that goes.
So here's what i have gathered, it does seem to be a temp issue. I updated BIOS and reinstalled drivers. At the same time i thought it would be a good idea to bring the temps down some way. So i have this mini fan i use when it gets hot in my room at night (i know this isn't the best thing to do, but i wanted to test it). I set it on top of my PC to blow right into my CPU heatsink and my temps dropped by 20C while gaming and no crashes with it on there. So, then i took it out and played without it and my game crashed. 5 of my 12 cores hit above 70C. I still don't know why my pc would close games when cores hit above 70C do. I googled CPU temp for this i7 and 70C isn't bad. Maybe its a setting i got to change? I got to say i might not have the best airflow in there i only have 2 case fans and my cooler. So, i ordered 2 more case fans, but i don't know if i will need to upgrade CPU coolers. Is there a way i can increase my fans speed?
As you can see the high temps on 5 of my cores hit above 70C just like the other picture i have on top when it also crashed View: https://imgur.com/a/NLXwm1L

The cpu will monitor it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
I would normally expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.

Solution

ItsMugen

Reputable
Jan 21, 2021
Can you check temps with this tool?

don't run coretemp at the same time. Make a screenshot again and post it here.
So these are the results i got, i couldn't get it to crash again, my room temp is cool right now as it is pretty cold outside unlike yesterday when my room was hot so maybe that has to do with it. I do think this does confirm its a temp issue however. Also i just realized one of my cooler fans is plugged into an AIO pump plug into my motherboard idk if this is something i need to change do. I don't know if there is any abnormalities here, but still when i had my mini fan on top of my PC yesterday when gaming my temps where around 50C-60C. And while idle my temps where around 30C-40C. Seems my case airflow is pretty bad and like i said i ordered 2 more case fans that should be coming soon. Also something else i found out was my cooler might not be mounted in right. I made a post on r/buildapc about this same topic and someone told me i needed a different cooler mount for this CPU and motherboard. Which made me realize that when i put in my cooler brackets, they were hard to install as i couldn't get them to go in straight. This is totally my fault as i should've known, so I ordered the right bracket which will also be coming in soon.
Screenshots in order from top to bottom.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Bkc5wQt

ItsMugen

Reputable
Jan 21, 2021

So i ran a cinebench test at got 21007pts don't know if this good or not, but i ran it yesterday and my cores got up above 100C in about 1 min of the test. So i got a warning from Windows and stopped the test. This time it went the full 10min. Some cores this hit 98C do so i don't think this is pretty good.
HWmonitor View: https://imgur.com/a/bAj48BL

ItsMugen

Reputable
Jan 21, 2021
Temps arte too high, reseat the cooler and make sure to use correct parts.
So, i got my new cooler bracket and reinstalled CPU cooler and reapplied thermal paste. It fit perfectly, so i played for about an hour and my game crashed. Again when 6 out of my 12 cores hit above 70C my game crashes. It seems i might have to get a whole new cooler. The only way i can keep my temps down is my using my mini room fan and placing it on top of my PC blowing into my CPU cooler heatsink. I still dont know why my game would crash at 70C-75C. I looked it up and it says that for this CPU this is normal temp when gaming. But anyways seems my case airflow is bad, im getting 2 more 120mm case fans coming in 2 days. If that doesnt work i might have to get a liquid cooler.