Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B550 Gaming
32gb (2x16) TForce 3600mhz cl16 RAM
1660 Super
2tb ADATA Swordfish
2tb seagate hard drive
8tb ironwolf pro hard drive
700w 80+ gold apevia powersupply

Issues started happening after about a month into the new system. I reinstalled windows. Windows event viewer was giving bad boot sectors and chkdsk would not finish past stage 2. I got the SSD replaced under warranty, so now it passes all tests. Thought this was a power supply issue, got that replaced under warranty. Reseated the ram, swapped them places, updated bios, reset bios many times with the battery removed etc etc. Not my first build (I build about 1 a week). Tried all sorts of tricks.

What happens is that while windows is sitting idle, when I come back to the PC its sitting on the "insert boot drive" screen. The only way to boot into windows on the SSD is to switch the PSU off, then turn it back on. This lets it boot normaly (takes about 5-6 seconds). For some reason, the SSD keeps dropping from the bios. Its an NVME pcie 4 SSD through M.2. I am not sure, maybe the motherboard m.2 slot has bad contact? I am out of ideas as I have replaced everything except CPU, RAM, Mobo, and GPU.

This happens at random intervals but usually within 24 hours of booting up the PC.

When you installed Windows, where any of the other 2 drives connected to the motherboard?

The 2TB ADATA Swordfish is a PCIe 3.0 SSD and it does work on either the PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0 M.2 sockets on the motherboard.

Try disabling Windows Fast Startup
Click Start button, click Settings icon, click Power & sleep (left pane), click Additional power settings link (right pane).
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Untick Turn on fast startup (recommended) to remove the checkmark.
Click Save changes.

By the way, that is an unreliable PSU and it could cause all sorts of issues...especially with flash storage.
Modern Windows PCs operate in a number of Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) and sleep states, which that PSU might not be able to handle.

Last edited:

Daniel Grabovskiy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
When you installed Windows, where any of the other 2 drives connected to the motherboard?

The 2TB ADATA Swordfish is a PCIe 3.0 SSD and it does work on either the PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0 M.2 sockets on the motherboard.

Try disabling Windows Fast Startup
Click Start button, click Settings icon, click Power & sleep (left pane), click Additional power settings link (right pane).
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Untick Turn on fast startup (recommended) to remove the checkmark.
Click Save changes.

By the way, that is an unreliable PSU and it could cause all sorts of issues...especially with flash storage.
Modern Windows PCs operate in a number of Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) and sleep states, which that PSU might not be able to handle.
Windows fast start up is a no go for me on ryzen. So that's been done.

I had the PSU replaced just in case, so far it's had no issues. I've ran enough stress tests to push the system and so far it's been completely capable.

I'm getting in touch with gigabyte to replace the motherboard, as, it seems to me the m.2 slot is straight up defective since it's still capable of booting into windows after a clear of CMOS. I'm pretty sure that is the culprit as there could really be nothing else at this point preventing the drive from staying online. If it boots once and runs for hours on end why the sudden disappearance of the drive? I'm thinking motherboard... hopefully.