Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Hello, I'm having an issue with my new PC I just built. Here are my specs

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: 2080ti
Ram: Corsair 16gb x2
PSU: 650 watt EVGA

Approximately 20-30 minutes after starting a resource intensive game my PC will start lagging. Not just the game, but my PC as a whole. The mouse won't move, the sound cuts out/pauses, etc. This continues for a few minutes after I close the game, but eventually stops. I have been able to consistently recreate this with Total War Three Kingdoms and Mount Blade Bannerlord. However, other games, such as Kingdom Come Deliverance, Crusader Kings 3, and Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (not remastered) do not present this issue.

My temps don't exceed 80 degrees Celsius, typically staying around 60-65. My resource utilization never seems to exceed 50%. The PC seems to work fine outside of this.

I do have my GPU connected via a 2x 8 pin connection, which is then connected to a 6+2, which then connects to the PSU. My 2x8 pin cable wasn't long enough to reach my PSU.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
First off, I would return that 2080ti if you can and get a 3070 or 3080. Secondly, what hard drive or SSD do you have? If it's a hard drive, that's likely your problem. That PSU is probably not up to par for those components either, as the 9900K can hit 250W under load while boosting and the 2080Ti can hit nearly 300W. I'd recommend looking at something more towards the 750-1000W range. Moreover, that setup you've got is essentially 1 8-pin PCIe cable powering a whole 2080Ti, and one 8-pin cable can only provide maximum of 220W. This means that you're cucking your GPU out of necessary power, and also potentially causing a fire hazard. Hopefully this will be of use, here's a real 2x8 pin PCIe extension: this would be a good option...

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
First off, I would return that 2080ti if you can and get a 3070 or 3080. Secondly, what hard drive or SSD do you have? If it's a hard drive, that's likely your problem. That PSU is probably not up to par for those components either, as the 9900K can hit 250W under load while boosting and the 2080Ti can hit nearly 300W. I'd recommend looking at something more towards the 750-1000W range. Moreover, that setup you've got is essentially 1 8-pin PCIe cable powering a whole 2080Ti, and one 8-pin cable can only provide maximum of 220W. This means that you're cucking your GPU out of necessary power, and also potentially causing a fire hazard. Hopefully this will be of use, here's a real 2x8 pin PCIe extension: this would be a good option, you would want to pick up two of them, assuming that your power supply has two 8-pin PCIe cables to extend.

Good luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS