[SOLVED] New pc, lost love.

wayneboyd1979

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Has anyone built a new PC of there dreams and go back to using an old piece of junk.
I have a computer that I spent over 2500 only to put it on the floor gathering dust. It was like I could, I did. I couldn't be bothered when it was done like the challenge was over same with water cooling.
This has been the same on the last 2 builds.
Is it old age or something.

Solution
Has anyone built a new PC of there dreams and go back to using an old piece of junk.
I have a computer that I spent over 2500 only to put it on the floor gathering dust. It was like I could, I did. I couldn't be bothered when it was done like the challenge was over same with water cooling.
I'm 75 but didn't lose that "love". I use computer for practically everything. Mostly communication with friends and family all over the world, entertainment (TV, music), education (there's always something you can learn and somebody to help or teach), some work (CAD or related to it) although long lime (5 years) officially retired and yes gaming because why not., it can...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Things wont make you happy. For long. Might be the hype too. New stuff is exciting stuff.
Only buy for a practical reason. You actually need it and know exactly what you need it for.
Do you buy a new bicycle every year? If you have a perfectly good bicycle already. El No!

I'm 75 but didn't lose that "love". I use computer for practically everything. Mostly communication with friends and family all over the world, entertainment (TV, music), education (there's always something you can learn and somebody to help or teach), some work (CAD or related to it) although long lime (5 years) officially retired and yes gaming because why not., it can be fun.
If there's anything I lost is will to repair junky computers and above all laptops.
In case you wonder, computers where never my primary job or even primary leisure concern, I'm mechanical engineer but had wide interests in automotive (classic cars and bikes and hotrods, fishing, boating and sport shooting everything that makes bang including gun mods).

Reactions: wayneboyd1979
Solution
Man...$2,500 is a lot of money (to me) to be collecting dust. I'll take it off your hands for a small discount... Haha, (but seriously)

Sounds like you enjoy the thrill of building and not so much the enjoyment of using. Have you looked into case modding? There's some pretty crazy stuff out there. Bit-tech.net is a great place to browse around. Lots of professional modders posting builds.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Could there be depression(or something similar?) Sometimes it is possible for people to get down enough that even the light at the tunnel becomes a fearful thing.

It explains why poor people blow their money on seeming stupidity like beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets. They get so far down that they need some opiate for the masses when hope is so distant. When one tries to pull themselves up and gets shot down there is a comfort and strange logic in hunkering down. It sounds far fetched for those who haven't experienced it and it can be very real.

Not long ago I got badly hurt by the local doctors and got artificial depression induced. Then life for a long stretch was like trying to drive a broken car. It was like putting the key in the ignition and push the gas and no matter how hard the pedal got pushed the car would only crawl along.

This is why when giving advice saying someone to "get a job" during a recession or whatever version of "Just go do XYZ..." may be counterproductive and cruel. I admit to in past years getting high and mighty with others. Now I advise slowing it down and getting a better understanding of the situation first.

Just recently I stayed on a backup computer for too long and the far better computer sat there for months on end before rebuilding it. The good computer was vastly superior to the old computer and that still wasn't enough. Everything was upside down.

For the OP: This may or may not be your situation. If it is you can contact me and I may be able to offer assistance either in the forum or quietly in the background. If this is not your situation; best wishes anyways.