Question New PC makes a thudding sound when using Premiere

palindromo1995

Honorable
May 27, 2017
Hello everyone!
I ordered a custom build pc recently, and it arrived a few days ago. Turned it on 2 days ago, started installing/transferring everything, works beautifully.

Today I launched Premiere Pro for the first time, and after a few minutes the PC started making a rhythmic thudding sound every 2 seconds. It sounds exactly like something is hitting the inside of the case constantly. It didn't seem like it was impacting the performance.
The noise went away after a while once I closed Premiere and started browsing the web normally.

I opened up the case and started looking around, and all the components seem sturdy and in place. There are no wires hitting anything.

Do you guys have any idea what that could be? Is it just a heat thing? Maybe since Premiere uses a lot of resources (like the GPU) they tend to move more frequently, which causes the case to make noise? (my case is a Corsair 5000D, it has two parts that can be removed very easily and kinda "wobble" in place)
The noise is kinda frustrating, it feels like a clock ticking but worse.

Here are my specs:
AMD Ryzen 5950x
Nvidia RTX 3070ti
Asus Crosshair Hero VIII wifi
Corsair Vengeace 3200 2x16
SSD (Samsung) + HDD (Seagate)
Corsair 650W PSU
Corsair Hydro 100x
2 Thermaltake toughfans

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Would probably go in and check/play with the curves on your AIO pump to see if you can replicate it. Could be a fan but every 2 seconds seems too slow for that. I would mention something about a HDD but doesn't seem you have any.

If you can't readily find it poking around, would probably take and breadboard the entire build as far apart as you can get the components and narrow down what part is making the noise.

palindromo1995

Honorable
May 27, 2017
Just open up your case, start using Adobe premiere and when you hear the noise stick your ear in there and pinpoint the source of the noise

I did just as you did, and as I suspected the culprit is the graphics card.
I have no idea what this could be, if it's just a "normal" behaviour or if it's a sign that it was built wrong or the model is defective.
The PC was built in the UK, while I live in Italy, so sending it back would take so much time...

May 21, 2021
I did just as you did, and as I suspected the culprit is the graphics card.
I have no idea what this could be, if it's just a "normal" behaviour or if it's a sign that it was built wrong or the model is defective.
The PC was built in the UK, while I live in Italy, so sending it back would take so much time...
Ahh, most likely it’s a bad fan bearing or improper tolerances between the fan blades and fan shroud or something like that, I would definitely send it back because that might turn into a ceased fan which could result in an overheated gpu in the future.