New pc may b an expensive paperweight, plz help me

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I just bought a bfg 680i motherboard and a q6600. however i have been told that inorder for th motherboard to work with the q6600 a bios update is needed.

Does anyone know if i can update the bios without having a operating system installed. And whilst having the q6600 installed.

Please help me i cant have just wasted £150

Patrick

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
i emailed tech support and they didnt really answer my question lol.

Question:
I recently purchased a bfg 680i motherboard and a q6600, however i read on the internet that the motherbaord requires a bios update inorder to work with quad core cpus. I was hoping you could confim or disprove this, and if it is true do i need to update every bios file one after another or just the newest. And what key combination do i press to get into the bios update screen. (alt+f2). And finally is it alright to update the bios before installing the operating system.

Answer:
You will need to update the BIOS in order for proper operation with a quad core. In order to begin the BIOS update you will need to set the motherboard to boot from the bootable floppy you have created containing the latest BIOS update, you do not need to update incrementally, the latest is fine.

:S

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
If someone could please explain the method for creating the bootable floppy disk with the bios on it i would be hugely greatful.

Patrick

If you look at the availabe BIOS rev. updates for your MB, none of the revisions posted state the revision is enabling support for quad core processors. You will have to update the BIOS to enhance performance and such, but it looks like your Q6600 is supported. I have never owned a BFG MB so I am not familiar. Check the BIOS revisions available 0n the link I provide.

You will need to update the BIOS in order for proper operation with a quad core.

That's what I see too. Your baord should post with yur quad core and the BIOS it came with.

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Cheers man u have no idea how worried i was about this.

Ill post back on monday when the last of my components arrive with an update.

Thanks again

Patrick

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
kk will do.

For a boot disk do i need to just drag the bios file, and flashing utilites (awdflash.exe, flash.bat) to the floppy or make a different sort of disk.

Ahhh...making a bootable BIOS floppy disk. Why'd you ask. LOL! Hopefully BFG website has provided detailed instructions to accompolish that. Yes, basically you will need the correct BIOS files and a flash tool on the floppy. Specific instruction from the mfg. would be a giant leap to do it successfully and without a world of frustration. Many newer MB has a usb flash drive BIOS update capabilty. Check around the website.

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
It says in the bios file readme i can use a usb flash drive, in that case is the process easier, or the same.

Thanks again for your help

I would think the usb method would be easier. You just need to read exactly what files and utility you need to accompolish it. Yeah, your BIOS apparently has a built in program to flash from a usb device. You just need to access that program in BIOS (when you get there) and get the right files on the usb drive. There are also windows based BIOS update tools where you simply load the Bios onto the desktop and flash the new BIOS from windows.

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
kk i think ill be able to figure out how to do it.

My q6600, ram and power supply arrive monday so ill update you monday night on how it goes.

Cheers again.

Patrick

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Read the manual very carefully and follow it to the letter. If the BIOS flash goes poorly you will have a really cool paper weight. Not to freak you out, just be very careful.

I would also update the BIOS before you load the OS, it's cleaner that way.

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
i cant see anything regarding bios updates, just alot on sli...which may be useful later on :p

I think i know what to do.

1) Go into bios change boot priority to removable first.
2) Copy bios file and flash utility to usb file using old pc
3) Plug in usb drive
4) Boot up, load flashing utility
5) Select the bios file
6) Flash
7) Reboot

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Looks right. There may also be an option to save the old BIOS which would not be a bad idea, just for grins. Also, I don't think its necessary but I always default the existing BIOS before the flash. I'm paranoid.

I have experience messing up BIOS flashs and RMAing. The boards I use today have built in software to verify I have the correct BIOS correctly loaded up before I proceed with the flash. That feature helps as well as my ASUS boards have a built in recovery tool on the system disk should I screw up a flash. I have never had to use it. I havn't messed one up in a couple of years.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I just did three P35 DQ6 mobos and it seemed a lot safer than in the past. One nice thing I saw from rev. F4 to F5 was that they fixed the dual BIOS, that certainly gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
In the BIOS there should be a choice to load defaults. Or, according to the manual, you short the BIOS default jumper pins on the mobo itself. I don't believe that you actually need to default it, but it is not hard, and as I said I am paranoid

Edit: In other words consult the manual for the correct procedure.

PaddyG

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
kk. I think im sorted i just made a boot cd by using WIN98SE.exe to make a bootable floppy, then went into nero and seleceted make boot cd, source of boot media a:\ (floppy), then burnt my flash utility and bios file to the cd allong with the boot media.

if im right i should insert the cd, boot the pc, which should enter me into dos. then according to the readme in the dl'd bios file i need to type "flash" or "AWDFLASH.EXE 691N1P30.BIN" at the dos prompt which should then flash the bios.

You 'should' be able to load the correct BIOS file along with the correct flash tool onto a formatted bootable floppy disk from the MB website and when you boot to the floppy, everything you need will be there and the flash process will begin in BIOS. One of my Intel boards works that way, but I just do not know about BFG. Sounds like you are trying to follow instructions, but I'm just no familiar.