[SOLVED] New Pc need advice please

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, I have been saving for quite a while now and think it's finally time to pull the trigger and would appreciate advice on what would be a better investment for the future. I don't upgrade often and prefer to make one big buy every 5-7 years. Its mainly a gaming PC but also play around on Blender but not very often and also a bit of programming but mostly just small stuff. For types of games its all over the place AAA to indie but really excited for Cyberpunk 2077. Budget wise I have Zar 45 000 but would like to keep it under Zar 41 000 if possible unless the extra money makes a big difference(I live in South Africa).

What I was wondering is whether you guys would recommend a ryzen 3600 with a RTX 2080 ti or rather, either an I7-9700k or I9-9900k with a RTX 2080 super.

Website(s): Evetech.co.za or Wootware.co.za

Basically I can get the following:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED CPU Cooler Red
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470-Pro DDR4 RYZEN Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600MHz 16GB
Storage: [NVMe] HP EX920 512GB M.2 SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO OC EDITION 11GB GDDR6
Power Supply: Antec HCG-850 80+ Gold Gaming Modular PSU
Monitor: Samsung CJG50 27" WQHD Curved Gaming Monitor resolution (2560x1440) 144hz refresh rate

Total: Zar 40 800

Or:

CPU: I7-9700k or I9-9900k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED CPU Cooler Red
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200MHz 16GB
Storage:
[NVMe] HP EX920 512GB M.2 SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB GDDR6
Power Supply: Antec HCG-850 80+ Gold Gaming Modular PSU
Monitor: Samsung CJG50 27" WQHD Curved Gaming Monitor resolution (2560x1440) 144hz refresh rate

Total: Zar 35 800(I7) Zar 38 000(I9)

So firstly are these good PC's and if they are which would be the better buy?
or if you don't think they are good any advice for something better would be much appreciated (Don't need OS).

Solution
Evetech builds the PC so I'm sure they will do the bios update but I will call them and make sure there are no issues.
Cool! If you've got them to take care of the bios issue, then I have no further arguments to make there.
The only coolers they seem to stock is either Cryorig and CoolerMaster but the second build has some spare budget to upgrade cooler with. The case that comes with it is: https://www.evetech.co.za/evetech-nova-gaming-case/best-deal/6412.aspx .
Ok, so it's a 'you pick out the parts, and they build it', sort of business?
I see the Evetech case supports 360mm rads.
Again, no issues with a Hyper 212 on the Ryzen build, but it's not strong enough paired with either 9700k or 9900k.
For the 9700k, I...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Both appear to be good setups. Looks like you did some of your homework. BUT-
-At the moment, only X570 motherboards work out of the box with Ryzen 3000.
Do you have a PC shop nearby, or a friend with an older Ryzen 1000 or 2000 who could update the bios for you? If not, requesting a boot kit from AMD might be an option: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-free-‘boot-kit’-for-struggling-ryzen-3000-owners.html
-Just to be sure, the ram in both builds are 2x 8GB kits? Single sticks configs aren't ideal for gaming builds.

-You're not going to keep either 9700k nor 9900k cool with a 212 EVO(rated for 150w of heat dissipation). 9700k can disperse some 200w of heat, and the 9900k goes over 240w.
The 9700k will work with a moderately sized air cooler. I don't know all the brands available in your area, but since you've already mentioned Cooler Master, the MasterAir MA620P/MA621P would be good.
The 9900k, on the other hand, your options are a 360mm AIO or custom loop, plus, your case has to support that large of a radiator too.

Since you appear to be able to afford a 2080Ti, the first build gets my vote. That gpu should net you 1/2 a year to a year longer upgrade window over the 2080 Super - neither card is going to last you 6 years, they'll both be obsolete before then.
You MIGHT get 5 years out of the 2080Ti, but that'll be pushing it. I did it with a GTX 680... I should've grabbed a 980Ti at 4.

Aug 20, 2019
Thank you for the reply its a lot of money so want to make sure I get it right so I appreciate the help. Evetech builds the PC so I'm sure they will do the bios update but I will call them and make sure there are no issues. Yes the RAM is 2x8GB. The only coolers they seem to stock is either Cryorig and CoolerMaster but the second build has some spare budget to upgrade cooler with. The case that comes with it is: https://www.evetech.co.za/evetech-nova-gaming-case/best-deal/6412.aspx .

I know I would probably want to upgrade the GPU at some point and that is where I'm stuck on whether I should spend more on the CPU now and less on GPU but make it easier for future upgrade, or just get the best GPU I can afford with a hit on CPU going forward.

Edit: Forgot to mention the cheapest X570 board MSI X570-A PRO RYZEN would add another Zar 1200 which I would like to avoid if possible or is it worth it in the end?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Evetech builds the PC so I'm sure they will do the bios update but I will call them and make sure there are no issues.
Cool! If you've got them to take care of the bios issue, then I have no further arguments to make there.
The only coolers they seem to stock is either Cryorig and CoolerMaster but the second build has some spare budget to upgrade cooler with. The case that comes with it is: https://www.evetech.co.za/evetech-nova-gaming-case/best-deal/6412.aspx .
Ok, so it's a 'you pick out the parts, and they build it', sort of business?
I see the Evetech case supports 360mm rads.
Again, no issues with a Hyper 212 on the Ryzen build, but it's not strong enough paired with either 9700k or 9900k.
For the 9700k, I recommend Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P, or MA621P, if they have either of these in stock. Cryorig only has the R1 Ultimate and R1 Universal.
The 9900k, your only real option is the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB if available. Cryorig doesn't have anything in the 360mm range.
I know I would probably want to upgrade the GPU at some point and that is where I'm stuck on whether I should spend more on the CPU now and less on GPU but make it easier for future upgrade, or just get the best GPU I can afford with a hit on CPU going forward.
How should I word this...
Cpu technology has not been progressing as rapidly as on gpus, and so, consumers have not needed to replace their cpus as often.
This is not the case for gpus if users want to remain within a certain range of playability, as newer games become more demanding than the previous.
"Get the strongest gpu you can afford..." and that happens to be the 2080Ti, so get it. It'll last you longer than the 2080 Super.
You'll be looking to replace it before the cpu, but you should be able to get at least 4 years out of it(2080Ti).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS