[SOLVED] New PC, New SSD, but I want to transfer OS, data, and programs from old SSD to new one

dwhit95

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
I am building a new PC this weekend and with it I am upgrading to an 860 EVO. Currently I am running an 850 EVO as my boot drive(Win 10) & for programs, and a HDD for extra storage/games. In my new PC I want to use the 860 as the boot drive, re-use the 850 for games, and continue using the HDD for extra storage.

What is the best way for me to:

• Install my license of Windows 10 on the new 860 EVO

• Move all of my programs from the old boot drive to the new one

• Reformat the 850 after I have successfully gotten everything on the new boot drive

I just want to make sure I don't lose any important files or programs that I currently have on my SSD. I appreciate any feedback!

Solution
I am building a new PC this weekend and with it I am upgrading to an 860 EVO. Currently I am running an 850 EVO as my boot drive(Win 10) & for programs, and a HDD for extra storage/games. In my new PC I want to use the 860 as the boot drive, re-use the 850 for games, and continue using the HDD for extra storage.

• Reformat the 850 after I have successfully gotten everything on the new boot drive
I just want to make sure I don't lose any important files or programs that I currently have on my SSD. I appreciate any feedback!
With a new PC, a clean...

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

So to answer your first question, transferring your license should not be an issue at all. Windows should detect that the hardware is the same and continue to stay activated, even on a different drive. You can always use something like Belarc adviser to get the windows key just in case, but its up to you.

As far as transferring windows to the new drive, I would highly recommend making a bootable USB with Clonezilla installed on it. Clonezilla can be used to copy your data over.

After that, to reformat your old SSD, I would use diskpart, a built in command line interface in Windows to clean the partitions and start fresh.

Let me know if you need more specifics, I'd be happy to assist. Hope this helps! :)

USAFRet

Titan

With a new PC, a clean install of the OS (and everything else) is strongly recommended, usually required.
And you cannot 'move programs' between installed OS's.

Cloning with CloneZilla or any other clone/migration application is not recommended. THat is no different than trying to put the old drive and its OS into the new system, and expecting it to boot up and work properly.
Cloning is good for moving an OS between drives in the same system. Not between systems.

What are the old parts and new parts?

Solution

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
With a new PC, a clean install of the OS (and everything else) is strongly recommended, usually required.

You are completely correct, I remember seeing the "new PC" in the original message, but it slipped my mind when creating my post. Clonezilla is not recommended for a new build. I apologize for the inconvenience...

That being said, my mention of diskpart and cleaning the partitions to reuse the old SSD is a good way to go about your third question.

And as for transferring your liscence, check this out:
https://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/

Thanks again for pointing that out USAFRet!

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: USAFRet

dwhit95

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016

Cloning with CloneZilla or any other clone/migration application is not recommended. THat is no different than trying to put the old drive and its OS into the new system, and expecting it to boot up and work properly.
Cloning is good for moving an OS between drives in the same system. Not between systems.

What are the old parts and new parts?
You're right, I definitely want to do a fresh install on the new SSD.

The new parts are Mobo, CPU, SSD, Chassis, and 2 new sticks of RAM.

So is it just recommended to write down all my programs and reinstall them manually? I am fine with doing this I just want to make sure I get all of the little small programs that could get forgotten about.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...I just want to make sure I get all of the little small programs that could get forgotten about..." Same here; just before I bit the bullet and did a reinstall of the whole thing, I copied the folders containing the icons of all the 3rd party programs onto external media. I kept my text files of all those product keys and license numbers up to date and located elsewhere. After the Big Reinstall, I used the copied folders as "road-signs" of what 3rd party stuff to reinstall. The key and license text file gave me the necessary numbers to copyNpaste.

dwhit95

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
"...I just want to make sure I get all of the little small programs that could get forgotten about..." Same here; just before I bit the bullet and did a reinstall of the whole thing, I copied the folders containing the icons of all the 3rd party programs onto external media. I kept my text files of all those product keys and license numbers up to date and located elsewhere. After the Big Reinstall, I used the copied folders as "road-signs" of what 3rd party stuff to reinstall. The key and license text file gave me the necessary numbers to copyNpaste.

Exactly. I'm worried I'll think I moved everything over and then not have access to registration codes or keys after I have wiped the old drive. Plus there are a lot of programs on my PC I'm not sure if they came on there or were added. I had a special case where the IT guy at my employer built and set up my PC so it was ready to use when I got it with all the necessary software already loaded on there.

USAFRet

Titan
Belarc Advisor can sniff out a LOT of license keys.

But yes, after the OS install in the new hardware, you need to install all your applications manually.

And be sure you have documented the username/password/serialnumber/license key for ALL of your applications and websites. Preferably in print, on actual dead tree.

During a reinstall a couple of years ago, I almost lost a $1,000 CAD package, because I could not remember which email address I used in the original setup.

dwhit95

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
Belarc Advisor can sniff out a LOT of license keys.

But yes, after the OS install in the new hardware, you need to install all your applications manually.

And be sure you have documented the username/password/serialnumber/license key for ALL of your applications and websites. Preferably in print, on actual dead tree.

During a reinstall a couple of years ago, I almost lost a $1,000 CAD package, because I could not remember which email address I used in the original setup.
That's fine with me. I'll just need to sit down and take the time to go through them all and write down this information. Wouldn't want to accidentally lose out on something like that either. I'll check out and probably use Belarc though.

As far as re-using my HDD, can I just simply plug that in and have it as an extra drive without having to do any reformatting?

I imagine the only thing I would need to fix is relinking things to steam and origin.

USAFRet

Titan
For the HDD, depends what is on it. If no "applications", should be OK.
Even Steam games are OK. Relink with the new Steam clinet as needed.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png