[SOLVED] New PC & New SSD transfer

Nov 10, 2019
Hello, this may seem like a very basic question but I need some help on how to transfer my old storage data (personal files, apps and settings) on my old 2.5'' SSD (+HDD which includes personal files) to my new M.2 1 TB SSD, then I'll reset the old PC for selling. Windows 10 on both pc's.

Is there any fast way to have my personal files/documents, apps & programs ready on the new M.2 drive after installing windows 10 on the new PC? mostly. Essentially just picking up where I left off but on the new PC SSD.

Yes I could use an external hard drive for example but I don't know which files I should/shouldn't transfer over. All of them?

My old motherboard (AB350M Pro4) supports the new M.2 and won't disable sata ports etc.
New motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

There is more than enough storage on the new drive.

Thanks and any advice is much appreciated

Solution
Not really. Apps write files in hidden directories and entries into the registry.

Games that use launchers, like Steam & Origin, and a few handful of apps are the only exception. The games library can be moved and then after you re-install the launcher you can often simply add the location of this moved library to the launchers library list. A safer way is to leave the old drive attached and let the launcher app move the games. Steam has this function built in, I haven't used origin in years. When don't you can powerdown and disconnect the old drive.

popatim

Titan
Not really. Apps write files in hidden directories and entries into the registry.

Games that use launchers, like Steam & Origin, and a few handful of apps are the only exception. The games library can be moved and then after you re-install the launcher you can often simply add the location of this moved library to the launchers library list. A safer way is to leave the old drive attached and let the launcher app move the games. Steam has this function built in, I haven't used origin in years. When don't you can powerdown and disconnect the old drive.

Solution