[SOLVED] new pc no display

doksy08

Honorable
Sep 21, 2016
Hi total noob here got a new prebuilt pc but when i power on there is no display. pc has freedos is it related to that or am i doing something wrong.

Solution
What are the specs of this system?

Check the back of the computer to make sure that if there is a graphics card installed you have plugged in your display cable to that, and not accidentally plugged it into the output from the motherboard.
What are the specs of this system?

Check the back of the computer to make sure that if there is a graphics card installed you have plugged in your display cable to that, and not accidentally plugged it into the output from the motherboard.

Solution

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Unlikely to be the issue, but check the monitor is set to accept display via HDMI. The monitor's manual will explain how, and may involve pressing fiddly buttons on the monitor to change the input.

If there's no joy, shut down the PC, unplug it from the mains, unplug the monitor from the mains, unplug the PC from the monitor, and unplug everything else from the PC and the monitor that isn't the keyboard and the mouse. Leave them all 5 minutes, reconnect the PC power, monitor power, HDMI cable, and see if you get a signal.

If no, look through the PC side panel (or take the side panel off assuming that doesn't affect warranty) and see if there is a 2-digit code displayed on an LED display on the motherboard.

Also don't be afraid to phone the place you bought it from or the company who built it's tech support line. If it's a new system, it has a warranty, and you've paid these people for that as well as for the hardware - don't be afraid to use that resource, especially if it takes a while for people to reply on a forum thread :)

Does your monitor have an HDMI port or are you using an adapter or adapter cable of some type?

As mentioned, if you were using a different type of input on the monitor before, you might have to open your monitor's menu options and change the input type to HDMI. Also, I'm going to HOPEFULLY correctly assume that by "I got an HDMI cable to fit into the RX 570 socket" that you mean you plugged one in, and not that you had to force it in some way.

doksy08

Honorable
Sep 21, 2016
lol im no caveman. gpu has 2 hdmi and 2 dp slots. likewise the monitor i tried this on has 1 vga 1 hdmi and 1 dp slots.

i did it hdmi to hdmi without any adapters. alsi noticed when booted my mouse and keyboard arent lighting up.

LOL. Ok, fair enough. I didn't actually THINK you were a caveman, BUT, you would REALLY be surprised at what we see here every day, all day long. At some point you just stop assuming nobody is stupid enough to do "X" because the minute you do, they'll not only do X, but Y and Z too.

Where did you buy the prebuilt PC from? New or used?

TRENDING THREADS