[SOLVED] New PC not detecting wired keyboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2021
Hi everyone. So I ran into this problem that really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I just built my first pc, everything seemed to work great until I turned on the pc and it showed the screen where it tells me to press delete to enter BIOS. That's when I realized that my new keyboard isn't registering. Either the motherboard is not giving it power or the keyboard isn't drawing power from the motherboard - I know this because the caps lock indicator wouldn't turn on.

Here is some troubleshooting I did:
Tried every single USB port, including USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, the 3.0s on the monitor and front panel, the port specifically for BIOS flashback, as well as a USB-C port via a converter.
Made sure that the motherboard's power supply isn't faulty by plugging in a mouse and a phone charger. Both worked fine.
Tested the keyboard on my laptop. Everything was fine, including the caps lock indicator.
Tried different RAM configurations, switched up the slots, took one off, etc.
Reset the CMOS by removing the battery for an extended period of time.
Unplugged everything else on the rear IO in case there was any interference.

All in all, I tried to isolate an issue, but I can't seem to find any. The only two possibilities that I find remotely plausible is A: because the keyboard is cheap and therefore flimsy and B: I messed a bit with the BIOS previously trying to update it but with no luck (as seen in Q-flash indicator never lighting up) therefore corrupting the BIOS (but the system shows zero signs of that besides unable to detect keyboard, so I figured that is unlikely as well). Is there anything else that I can try, or am I better off just buying another keyboard and see if that helps?

In case it helps, here's my parts list:
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi
AMD Athlon 200GE (Placeholder until 5900x arrives)
RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
2x16G Corsair Vengeance RAM
Adata XPG SX8800 Pro 1TB NVMe
Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 280mm
EVGA SuperNova 850 G5

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS