New PC not posting...Memory error

sap147

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I just built a new PC. Specs:
Athlon X2 5600+ (stock cooling for now + arctic silver 5)
Corsair XMS2 2GB
Geforce 7900 GS OC (PCI-Express)
Biostar TForce 570SLI
500 W Antec PS

Here is the story. I had everything installed. 2 HD's / 1 DVD burner / X-Fi sound card / Wireless network card (PCI). All fans operational. I went to boot and I got continuous beeps all same time apart. The LED indicators on the mobo say that this is a Memory issue. The beeps (according to the mobo manual) indicate a memory problem.

I tired the Corsair ram in all combinations of slots. I also tried 1 stick alone. Still wont post.

I had some OCZ ram that was compatible and I tried that. SAME thing! All beeps / LEDs say RAM issue but it cant be all 4 sticks of RAM from 2 manufactures bad.

I think it is the mobo. Any advice?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Some of the antec 500 models were a bit sus... But your system isn't really pushing it hard at all. Do you have a friend with a ddr2 mb that might be willing to let you test your mem? I'd agree that it is unlikely to be the ram, but... Also try to check the bios settings for the ram. Pretty hard to do, I suppose, if it won't even post. Maybe a bios reset?

All of the above said, get your rma forms filled out... I think you'll be using them.

sap147

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
ok update, i cleared cmos and took out mobo battery and left it out for 15 minutes. Now 2 ram slots are working (slots 2 and 4) and for some reason slots 1 and 3 arent working. I have tested many combinations and have come to this conclusion. As a result i cant run my memory in dual channel mode. You think those slots are bad or is something wrong here?

sap147

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
BIOS says memory running at 1.9V. Max I can go is 2.1V in which case the problem isnt resolved. This has to be a mobo issue. Damn BIOSTAR!

Add BIOSTAR to my "stay away from list" along with MSI / ABit