New PC, old GPU - Computer freezes

Marc96

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Hello, first of all I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread so I'm sorry if it isn't.

As the title says recently i've built a new pc, but since I couldn't afford a new GPU i put my old one as placeholder (RX460), i know that the GPU is malfunctioning because even on my old PC it would cause artifacts sometimes and it also happens on this one but now sometimes the computer will just freeze without artifacts forcing me to restart it, i can still hear the music playing but screen is unresponsive.

My question would be, could the GPU be causing the hard freezes or should i look into any of the other components as the culprit?

Edit: happens only when gaming, most often when i minimize the game to change the music. Also it's not overheating, i've been checking CPU and GPU temps and it's all low, but i keep the fans at 100% while gaming anyway

Full specs:

Ryzen 3 1200 OC 3.7 GHz
RX 460 2GB
Corsair DDR4 8gb ram (unlocked to 2.6 GHz)
1TB HDD WD Blue
Corsair VS 450W
MSI B350m Mortar

Solution
Hm, that is old and low end, but it might be worth it, and just crank details lower, maybe lower the resolution - just enough to where the card itself is being pushed pretty hard.

Or, even if the game plays choppy.

At least that'll give us a little more data. Though, yeah, wish there were an equal or more power-hungry card handy.. or someone nearby with a PC that you could try your old card in.

Still, that it was artifacting in your old system makes me highly suspicious of it. Is it still under warranty?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That you used to get artifacting with that same GPU previously makes me highly suspicious of it.

Do the fans still work properly? Is there good airflow? You shouldn't need to keep the fans at 100% if the temperatures are reasonable.

If cooling isn't the culprit, I'd be very likely to think that the GPU is at issue.

EDIT: do you have a friend or family member who can loan you another GPU to try out?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hm, that is old and low end, but it might be worth it, and just crank details lower, maybe lower the resolution - just enough to where the card itself is being pushed pretty hard.

Or, even if the game plays choppy.

At least that'll give us a little more data. Though, yeah, wish there were an equal or more power-hungry card handy.. or someone nearby with a PC that you could try your old card in.

Still, that it was artifacting in your old system makes me highly suspicious of it. Is it still under warranty?

Solution

Marc96

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
It's not, when i bought it was a 2nd hand card and right now the warranty has expired. I will try the old card, even on lower spec games and see how it goes. In any case, i should be buying a new card once Volta comes out, i was just looking for some advice from someone more experienced with computers than me so thanks.

I will try the old card and if possible my current one on another system, ill update once i have more info

TRENDING THREADS