• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

New pc, old HDD with data. What will happen if I install Windows 10 as if the HDD was formatted and empty?

GavriloJm

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi guys,

Will the data on the HDD, and the apps that are installed on it be erased? Will it give any problems?

Thanks,
the total noob:D

GavriloJm

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Well, the disk is a bit messy so I would prefer to just leave the data on there without spending so much time on selecting the valuable data. So it would be quicker and I still have enough free space. If I would just leave the disk as it is now, would that give any problems, so without formatting? The version that I use on my old pc with this drive is windows 10 too, if that makes a difference.

You may be able to partition the drive, keeping the data on the D partition and doing a clean install of windows on the C partition. Does the HDD already have Windows installed on if from your old Computer? I think you will be much better off to take the time to figure out what data you want to keep, copy it off to another drive/computer, and then do a clean install of windows. Even if you partition the drive, I "think" you will still have to re-install all of your programs after a Windows install, unless you are good at editing registry entries.