Question New PC, older HDD's partitions become unallocated after every reboot

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a new workstation with 1 SSD for OS, and 4 HDD for DATA.
2 HDDs are new (Seagate BarraCuda 2TB), and 2 HDDs are older (1 Toshiba P300 3TB & 1 Seagate Surveillance 1TB).
After every reboot, the older HDDs became unallocated, and I need to use minitool partition recovery to recover these partitions. All my drivers are up-to-date, BIOS also. I know this motherboard and CPU are new and BIOS updates keep popping, but i hope maybe somebody can help me.

My specs:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3990x 4.3 GHz 64-cores, 128-threads, 288MB Socket
GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 11GB, GDDR6, 352-bit
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4, 128GB (8x16GB), 3200 MHz, CL 16
SSD: A-DATA XPG SX8200 PRO, 1TB, PCI-Express 3.0 x4, M.2
HDD 1: Seagate BarraCuda, 2TB, 7200RPM SATA III 600, 256 MB (new)
HDD 2: Seagate BarraCuda, 2TB, 7200RPM SATA III 600, 256 MB (new)
HDD 3: Toshiba P300, 3TB 7200RPM SATA-III 64MB3TB HDWD130UZSVA (1-yr-old) - problematic
HDD 4:Seagate Surveillance 1TB 7200RPM SATA-III 64MB - ST1000VX000 (5-yrs-old) - problematic
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS TRX40 PRO WIFI, AMD TRX40, TRX4, ATX
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB, 80 Plus Platinum, 1200W
COOLER: CPU Arctic Freezer 50 TR, A-RGB, 1 x 120mm + 1 x 140mm
CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BlackOut, Mid-Tower, Tempered Glass
DISPLAY: 3 x DELL UltraSharp U2719D, 2560x1440

Last edited:

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Is this happening on an another PC ? Have you tried to re initialize one of the discs from scratch and see if that happens ? Assuming that drive health is OK in all this.

LE: does this happen with all 4 drives or just one or both the older ones ?

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Is this happening on an another PC ? Have you tried to re initialize one of the discs from scratch and see if that happens ? Assuming that drive health is OK in all this.

LE: does this happen with all 4 drives or just one or both the older ones ?

This is happening just on this PC. After they become unallocated, if I move them in the old PC, they are still seen in disk management as unallocated partitions. I already formatted the drives but after reboot they keep disappearing.

This happens with the older HDDs (Seagate 1tb and Toshiba 3tb)

L.E. Sometimes i get some ACPI Bios Error blue screen at startup, and after reboot the system is booting, but the drives keep missing. I don't know if this blue screen it's related with the storage drives.

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Can you show HDtune health screenshots for those drives?
a2.png

a1.png

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Those look good.

Do you have fast boot enabled in BIOS?
If yes, then disable it.

No fast boot enabled.
I tried installing RAID drivers from GIGABYTE website but after reboot, PC its getting stuck at windows logo. I was able to start the computer after a System Restore.

Last edited:

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Can you show us sector 0 (LBA 0) on the affected drives? You can do this with a free disc editor such as DMDE. The contents of this sector may give us a clue as to why it is being overwritten.

BTW, DMDE can also restore lost partitions.

Scan performed after partition recovery.

Seagate
dmde-st.png

Toshiba
dmde.png

Sector 0 has been overwritten with a data pattern which looks similar to one I have seen in another thread, IIRC. In fact I have seen several threads where users have been reporting the same weird corruption. Unfortunately I have not yet seen an explanation or solution. There was a recent thread at reddit.com where sector 0 was overwritten by a single sector from the $LogFile, an NTFS metafile. That case involved a 500GB NVMe SSD, IIRC. Very strange ...

I don't know how MiniTool repairs the damage, but in DMDE you would r-click the missing partition(s) and select "Insert the partition (Undelete)". You may also need to "Set GPT+MBR Signatures (GPT On)".

May 6, 2020
I had the same thing happen so I bought a 995 gb external hard drive went onto a old pc stuck my hard drive in and then copied it to the external :}
hope this helps

rubensabou

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Some good news:

I don't know if it is connected with the problem but one RAM stick was faulty. I replaced, and after a fresh Windows install, the problem is gone. All partition are there and no more blue screens, this with stock windows drivers.
I think the problem are the drivers from manufacturers websites. Now I have the latest BIOS, but the drivers are not the newest. Not a problem so far.

Last edited: