Question New PC only device with slow speeds (Ethernet)

Panicpaladin

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
Hi! I built a new PC recently and after overcoming some problems with Internet connection, I'm finally able to access everything. There's one last problem that I am trying to solve though. I noticed my speeds were pretty slow so I did multiple speed tests while troubleshooting and they always come back around 70-80 Mbps.

My internet is through Xfinity and I'm paying for gigabit connection. All the other devices reflect the gigabit speeds both on wifi for my phone and ethernet on a laptop. My PC is the only device that isnt getting the speeds it should.

My setup is using an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero mobo with a AMD 5900x for my CPU. I am also using a netgear powerline adapter to get the ethernet upstairs when my xfinity modem is downstairs. I've replaced ethernet cables with CAT6 cables, swapped out the modem for another, and even brought my PC downstairs and plugged into the modem directly in case it was the powerline adapters. My PC even recognizes I'm running with 1 Gig internet but still only turns out with sub 100 Mbps speeds.

I've also tried a multitude of running commands in CMD and messed around with adapater settings, but I'm not averse to trying again. I've tried both ports as well. I am basically out of ideas and need help! Thanks for any suggestions. :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi! I built a new PC recently and after overcoming some problems with Internet connection, I'm finally able to access everything. There's one last problem that I am trying to solve though. I noticed my speeds were pretty slow so I did multiple speed tests while troubleshooting and they always come back around 70-80 Mbps.

My internet is through Xfinity and I'm paying for gigabit connection. All the other devices reflect the gigabit speeds both on wifi for my phone and ethernet on a laptop. My PC is the only device that isnt getting the speeds it should.

My setup is using an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero mobo with a AMD 5900x for my CPU. I am also using a netgear powerline adapter to get the ethernet upstairs when my xfinity modem is downstairs. I've replaced ethernet cables with CAT6 cables, swapped out the modem for another, and even brought my PC downstairs and plugged into the modem directly in case it was the powerline adapters. My PC even recognizes I'm running with 1 Gig internet but still only turns out with sub 100 Mbps speeds.

I've also tried a multitude of running commands in CMD and messed around with adapater settings, but I'm not averse to trying again. I've tried both ports as well. I am basically out of ideas and need help! Thanks for any suggestions. :)
The limiting factor is probably the powerline adapter. Temporarily move closer to the router and retest or buy a long cable and test. As long as you have the powerline adapters, you will be limited.

Panicpaladin

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
The limiting factor is probably the powerline adapter. Temporarily move closer to the router and retest or buy a long cable and test. As long as you have the powerline adapters, you will be limited.
So you were right, I'm showing 563.0 Mbps when I brought it downstairs and directly into the modem. What I don't understand is how the powerline adapters weren't limiting my connection for multiple years on my now former PC while this new pc seems to have problems. I can't have my PC set up downstairs cause of the way our space down there is designed. Is there anything that I could do or something that might explain why it wont work upstairs on my new pc but work fine on the old one?