Question *NEW* PC only sometimes detects GPU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2022
Updates in the comments below (not resolved but getting close to it)

Hello,
So two weeks ago I built myself a new computer.

Specs:
Asus ROG z690-A D4 Wifi
Intel i7-12700k
Corsair Dominator 2x16 3200Mhz
Gigabyte RTX 3080ti OC
Corsair RM850x 850w psu

I also use a DELL S2716DGR and Gigabyte G34WQC monitors, both connected with DP

It was fine for the first two days but after that, in the mornings when I turned on the PC, it just wouldn't detect my GPU.

The only thing that worked randomly in the first few days was turning off power completely, letting the power drain out and then turn on the computer again, that would usually solve the problem, but today it wasn't the case and only after hitting the cmos reset button in the back of the motherboard it worked. I also noticed it could be an issue related to time?
When the GPU is detected, I can restart it as many times as I want, even if it's off for an hour or two. But, if the computer stays off all night or for a long period of hours, the next morning it just doesn't detect it.
Not to mention, the GPU works just fine when it does get detected. All games run perfectly and the computer runs just like a normal computer would.
I've tried reseating it, cleaning everything off, reinstalling the drivers from scratch, anything but reinstalling windows again. I don't know what to try anymore.
Should I buy new DP cables just to see if that solves it too?
I need help.
Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,

Specs:
Asus ROG z690-A D4 Wifi
Intel i7-12700k
Gigabyte RTX 3080ti OC
Corsair RM850x 850w psu

It was fine for the first two days but after that, in the mornings when I turned on the PC, it just wouldn't detect my GPU.

The only thing that worked randomly in the first few days was turning off power completely, letting the power drain out and then turn on the computer again, that would usually solve the problem, but today it wasn't the case and only after hitting the cmos reset button in the back of the motherboard it worked. I also noticed it could be an issue related to time?
When the GPU is detected, I can restart it as many times as I want, even if it's off for an hour or two. But, if the computer stays off all night or for a long period of hours, the next morning it just doesn't detect it.
Not to mention, the GPU works just fine when it does get detected. All games run perfectly and the computer runs just like a normal computer would.
I've tried reseating it, cleaning everything off, reinstalling the drivers from scratch, anything but reinstalling windows again. I don't know what to try anymore.
I need help.
Thank you

Hey there,

Which bios are you running? A bios update may help here.

Oct 19, 2022
Hi there! Thank you for your replies.

Try a new CMOS battery.
I will buy one tomorrow and follow up with an update.

Hey there,

Which bios are you running? A bios update may help here.
I have just updated the BIOS to the newest version (I was one version older), and will also follow up with an update on how that works up, tomorrow morning, when the problem should be happening again.

Oct 19, 2022
Quick update:
I turned off my computer and disconnected the power to reconnect all cables inside the case, and when I went to power it on again, the problem happened again.
The VGA light stayed on, while the computer itself booted just fine (heard it in the headphones and corsair LEDs changed to the default profile). After a few hard power off (hold power button for a few seconds) and turning on again, the ROG splash screen appeared and now the computer is fully booted with visuals aswell.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Hello,

Specs:
Asus ROG z690-A D4 Wifi
Intel i7-12700k
Gigabyte RTX 3080ti OC
Corsair RM850x 850w psu

I need help.
Thank you
GPU reseat?

Oct 19, 2022
Oct 19, 2022
I have put my older 1080ti in my current system and it does indeed work, whereas I then put the 3080ti a second after and the problem occurred again. The thing is, when I put the 3080ti in my older system, it worked aswell.. This is bugging me out

Oct 19, 2022
Another update: After my computer not detecting the GPU this morning no matter what I did - I bought a new CMOS battery and so far it's working. I'll have to give another update in a day after I test things to see where it's at.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 19, 2022
Hello to anyone who's following this thread.
The new CMOS battery didn't really help and the problem is still there.
I'm trying to make time so I can drive to the shop and try to RMA my GPU (even though I'm not really confident it's the source of the problem) and see if that works, but if anyone has any more tips or advices I would definitely be grateful for it.
Thank you

Oct 19, 2022
You could rma the card but if things don’t follow the gpu, sounds more like something with your board.
Yeah I feel like it's definitely one of the two. The thing is I just don't know exactly what part is causing the problem, so I don't know which to RMA.
I bought the two in different stores, so if I go to one with the GPU, and they tell me it doesn't have a problem, and then I go with the motherboard and they tell me it doesn't have a problem, I'm kinda screwed here.
I've legit never had or read about this kind of specific problem so it's bugging me out

Your problem does not seem to be with either GPU or mobo - they are most likely both fine. It's the compatibility between them that seems to be lacking. Now, theoretically every GPU made in last few years should be compatible with every mobo made in last few years. In practice, situations like this where certain GPU model is not working correctly with certain mobo model are more and more frequent. Probably the easiest solution is to return current GPU and get another model.

Oct 19, 2022
Your problem does not seem to be with either GPU or mobo - they are most likely both fine. It's the compatibility between them that seems to be lacking. Now, theoretically every GPU made in last few years should be compatible with every mobo made in last few years. In practice, situations like this where certain GPU model is not working correctly with certain mobo model are more and more frequent. Probably the easiest solution is to return current GPU and get another model.
It does makes sense.
I wish it was an easy solution but returning a product in my country is nothing but easy, especially if it works. Most shops here don't care if it doesn't work sometimes and won't RMA. I'll try soon

Status
Not open for further replies.