Question New pc or upgrade

math686u

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
19
2
515
0
Hey

My system is now turning 3 years old, and I think is't time for a change. The only problem is that I don't know if I should sell my pc and build an complete new one or upgrade my current one.
My system now is:
CPU: I5-8600k
Mobo: MSI z390 gaming pro carbon
GPU: 1060 gtx
RAM: 16 gb 3000 mhz corsair vengance
PSU: Corsair RMX550 80+ gold
SSD: Samsung 970 evo 500g
HDD: Seagate 1TB
CASE: NZXT s340
AIO: Corsair Hydro 100i pro

If I choose to sell my pc I think I can sell it for 670 €. This is what I think im gonna build if I sell (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FJGVfP)
If i'm upgrading i'm planning on first change the GPU to a 3060 Ti. Then I don't know if I should also upgrade the CPU at the same time or wait for the Intel 11. gen and DDR5 RAM.

What do you guys think will be the best option? If it's upgrade what do think my plan for upgrading should be?

Sorry for bad english

Thx in advance
 
Last edited:
Hey

My system is now turning 3 years old, and I think is't time for a change. The only problem is that I don't know if I should sell my pc and build an complete new one or upgrade my current one.
My system now is:
CPU: I5-8600k
Mobo: MSI z390 gaming pro carbon
GPU: 1060 gtx
RAM: 16 gb 3000 mhz corsair vengance
PSU: Corsair RMX550 80+ gold
SSD: Samsung 970 evo 500g
HDD: Seagate 1TB
CASE: NZXT s340
AIO: Corsair Hydro 100i pro

If I choose to sell my pc I think I can sell it for 670 €. This is what I think im gonna build if I sell (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FJGVfP)
If i'm upgrading i'm planning on first change the GPU to a 3060 Ti. Then I don't know if I should also upgrade the CPU at the same time or wait for the Intel 11. gen and DDR5 RAM.

What do you guys think will be the best option? If it's upgrade what do think my plan for upgrading should be?

Sorry for bad english

Thx in advance
The motherboard you have chosen supports maximum 2933MHz RAM. Also an RTX 3070 + 750w psu for gaming @ 1440 resolution. btw what country are you in?
 

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
692
137
2,140
30
Hey

My system is now turning 3 years old, and I think is't time for a change. The only problem is that I don't know if I should sell my pc and build an complete new one or upgrade my current one.
My system now is:
CPU: I5-8600k
Mobo: MSI z390 gaming pro carbon
GPU: 1060 gtx
RAM: 16 gb 3000 mhz corsair vengance
PSU: Corsair RMX550 80+ gold
SSD: Samsung 970 evo 500g
HDD: Seagate 1TB
CASE: NZXT s340
AIO: Corsair Hydro 100i pro

If I choose to sell my pc I think I can sell it for 670 €. This is what I think im gonna build if I sell (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FJGVfP)
If i'm upgrading i'm planning on first change the GPU to a 3060 Ti. Then I don't know if I should also upgrade the CPU at the same time or wait for the Intel 11. gen and DDR5 RAM.

What do you guys think will be the best option? If it's upgrade what do think my plan for upgrading should be?

Sorry for bad english

Thx in advance
Hello there!!
Honestly your build still has some life left, especially if you play at 1080p,eSports titles. Try to add more cores to your cpu when you are upgrading, surely you can upgrade your GPU to a 3060Ti now especially if it's available else going from i5 8600k to 10400F is not an upgrade at all you are paying $230 for your cpu and ram itself (Mobo price was not available so not considered) whereas 3 years ago you could have got a 6c/12t i7 8700k by paying $150 so yea go for the GPU but a 8c cpu. Also no need to get a ram your 3000Mhz ram would be more than enough as the 10400F will run at 2666Mhz, I'm not recommending you 10400F just making it clear for you. Also about DDR5, it's a new gen memory and like every new gen previously the prices aren't going to be $60~$70 for 16gb kit, expect it to be higher. And also becouse of shortages the prices of some components have increased.
Basically if you want a Value for money pc now go for something similar.
CPU: I7 10700K/F
Memory: Your current ram
Mobo: a good Z490 or B460
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 cooler (better than Hyper 212)
GPU: 3060Ti or up
Ps:
Use your same nvme SSD and memory maybe case if you like
Note: Case not included.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8fxW3
Add $50 for Scythe Mugen 5 which is not available at Amazon at my time.
EDIT2. LMAO!!!
You can do it for less without changing Mobo,ram,nvme
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XywmQD
 
Last edited:

math686u

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
19
2
515
0
The motherboard you have chosen supports maximum 2933MHz RAM. Also an RTX 3070 + 750w psu for gaming @ 1440 resolution. btw what country are you in?
So would it be better if I wait upgrading the mobo to a better one and then get better ram when I get a higher budget? What do you mean with the 3070? I'm gonna get a 3060 ti.
I'm from Denmark
 

math686u

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
19
2
515
0
Hello there!!
Honestly your build still has some life left, especially if you play at 1080p,eSports titles. Try to add more cores to your cpu when you are upgrading, surely you can upgrade your GPU to a 3060Ti now especially if it's available else going from i5 8600k to 10400F is not an upgrade at all you are paying $230 for your cpu and ram itself (Mobo price was not available so not considered) whereas 3 years ago you could have got a 6c/12t i7 8700k by paying $150 so yea go for the GPU but a 8c cpu. Also no need to get a ram your 3000Mhz ram would be more than enough as the 10400F will run at 2666Mhz, I'm not recommending you 10400F just making it clear for you. Also about DDR5, it's a new gen memory and like every new gen previously the prices aren't going to be $60~$70 for 16gb kit, expect it to be higher. And also becouse of shortages the prices of some components have increased.
Basically if you want a Value for money pc now go for something similar.
CPU: I7 10700K/F
Memory: Your current ram
Mobo: a good Z490 or B460
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 cooler (better than Hyper 212)
GPU: 3060Ti or up
Ps:
Use your same nvme SSD and memory maybe case if you like
Note: Case not included.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8fxW3
Add $50 for Scythe Mugen 5 which is not available at Amazon at my time.
EDIT2. LMAO!!!
You can do it for less without changing Mobo,ram,nvme
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XywmQD
Thanks.
I don't think im gonna build an complete now one now.
I think i'll start off with getting the 3060 ti (I have placed an order on one) and then later on get a better 10-11. gen or AMD CPU when I get a higher budget. I think the 11.gen launches in March and my budget should be higher at that time for upgrading the CPU, mobo and ram.
And then I hope that the shortsages is gone if I wait till March or something near that time
 
So would it be better if I wait upgrading the mobo to a better one and then get better ram when I get a higher budget? What do you mean with the 3070? I'm gonna get a 3060 ti.
I'm from Denmark
My mistake. I see your monitor is 1080P. The socket 1200 Z490 boards support RAM clocked up to 4400MHz although the ideal RAM for those boards is either 3200MHz or 3600MHz.

Here's an example from a site located in Denmark.

https://www.fcomputer.dk/gigabyte-z490-ud-1-0-bundkort-atx-lga1200-sokkel-z490
Gigabyte Z490 UD 1.000,- DKK

https://www.fcomputer.dk/g-skill-aegis-16-gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-dimm-288-pin-ikke-ecc-cl16--2
G.SKILL AEGIS - 16GB: 2X8GB - DDR4 - 3200MHZ 593,- DKK

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-UD-rev-10#kf
 

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
692
137
2,140
30
Thanks.
I don't think im gonna build an complete now one now.
I think i'll start off with getting the 3060 ti (I have placed an order on one) and then later on get a better 10-11. gen or AMD CPU when I get a higher budget. I think the 11.gen launches in March and my budget should be higher at that time for upgrading the CPU, mobo and ram.
And then I hope that the shortsages is gone if I wait till March or something near that time
Yea you could do that, if you plan on getting 10th gen i9 then go for it rather than i7,I say it because i7 10700k and i9 9900k is basically the same instead of getting a whole new board for it, upgrade your current CPU with i9 9900k as you can run it in a Z390 board with basically everything else the same except for your psu because MSI recommends 650W psu for 3060Ti
 

math686u

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
19
2
515
0
Yea you could do that, if you plan on getting 10th gen i9 then go for it rather than i7,I say it because i7 10700k and i9 9900k is basically the same instead of getting a whole new board for it, upgrade your current CPU with i9 9900k as you can run it in a Z390 board with basically everything else the same except for your psu because MSI recommends 650W psu for 3060Ti
So you would recommend I get a an i9 9900k? I don't wanna spend more than 400€ on a cpu and preferably a bit under that.
I'm not gonna upgrade my CPU now so the I think the question would be how to the prices look at the time i'm upgrading the CPU.
Do you think that when i'm upgrading in the future and the CPU's are out I would be an smarter option to get i9 9900k and then keep the same motherboard and get new ram or change the CPU, motherboard and ram?
 

math686u

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
19
2
515
0
My mistake. I see your monitor is 1080P. The socket 1200 Z490 boards support RAM clocked up to 4400MHz although the ideal RAM for those boards is either 3200MHz or 3600MHz.

Here's an example from a site located in Denmark.

https://www.fcomputer.dk/gigabyte-z490-ud-1-0-bundkort-atx-lga1200-sokkel-z490
Gigabyte Z490 UD 1.000,- DKK

https://www.fcomputer.dk/g-skill-aegis-16-gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-dimm-288-pin-ikke-ecc-cl16--2
G.SKILL AEGIS - 16GB: 2X8GB - DDR4 - 3200MHZ 593,- DKK

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-UD-rev-10#kf
alright, so you would recommend getting a new cpu, motherboard and ram when my budget allows upgrading the CPU in the future. (future is about 2-3 months)
 
Jul 14, 2020
41
1
45
1
I'd just upgrade the GPU if I were you but don't do it now because stock is extremely low and prices are extremely high. You may be able to get a 3060 ti if you keep an eye out, but the upcoming 3060 12gb may be something you'd consider as well. If you do want to build fresh, I would still say wait because everything is more expensive than it should be and the extra amount that you would have to spend would probably be enough for a higher tier cpu or gpu if you waited until prices come back to normal. You could get a 10600k or 10700k probably or a 3070 if you waited.
 

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
692
137
2,140
30
I'd just upgrade the GPU if I were you but don't do it now because stock is extremely low and prices are extremely high. You may be able to get a 3060 ti if you keep an eye out, but the upcoming 3060 12gb may be something you'd consider as well. If you do want to build fresh, I would still say wait because everything is more expensive than it should be and the extra amount that you would have to spend would probably be enough for a higher tier cpu or gpu if you waited until prices come back to normal. You could get a 10600k or 10700k probably or a 3070 if you waited.
Hello there!
For 10th gen CPU he would have to get new Mobo whereas he could ge i9 9900k whithout replacing anything in his current build and he could even OC in his Z390.He also has 3000Mhz ram which I think is more than enough for Intel. The only parts he gotta get is then CPU,GPU and PSU nothing else. And he has already ordered 3060Ti which I think is better because it's the same 3070 die whereas 3060 comes with different die itself
 
Jul 14, 2020
41
1
45
1
Hello there!
For 10th gen CPU he would have to get new Mobo whereas he could ge i9 9900k whithout replacing anything in his current build and he could even OC in his Z390.He also has 3000Mhz ram which I think is more than enough for Intel. The only parts he gotta get is then CPU,GPU and PSU nothing else. And he has already ordered 3060Ti which I think is better because it's the same 3070 die whereas 3060 comes with different die itself
General Kenobi, you are a bold one. I wasn't suggesting the 3060 ultra or whatever their calling it over the 3060 ti since I'm pretty sure its been confirmed that the 3060 ti will be faster than the upcoming 3060, I was simply suggesting to wait and see the difference in performance. If the non ti 3060 is $100 less and is not much lower in performance given the price difference, maybe save the $100 that's all. I do agree that the 9900k upgrade would make more sense and overall cost less, but at the same time his existing cpu isn't bad at all and would work well with the 3060 ti. I just wasn't thinking about 9th gen that much since rocket lake is coming quite soon, so my bad on that.
 

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
692
137
2,140
30
General Kenobi, you are a bold one. I wasn't suggesting the 3060 ultra or whatever their calling it over the 3060 ti since I'm pretty sure its been confirmed that the 3060 ti will be faster than the upcoming 3060, I was simply suggesting to wait and see the difference in performance. If the non ti 3060 is $100 less and is not much lower in performance given the price difference, maybe save the $100 that's all. I do agree that the 9900k upgrade would make more sense and overall cost less, but at the same time his existing cpu isn't bad at all and would work well with the 3060 ti. I just wasn't thinking about 9th gen that much since rocket lake is coming quite soon, so my bad on that.
Yes, So Civilized my friend. Even in my first post I did mention that his CPU still has some life left. I guess he has already decided to upgrade sooner or later by March.So I think getting a i9 9900k would be better he could still use it and change his entire platform to maybe new AM5 or any Intel CPU later.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS