Question New PC OS Install Issue

Jul 11, 2019
Hi, I've finished building my new PC however it won't get to the windows installation menu . When I turn it on it shows the POST options and let's me enter BIOS and the boot order. When I try and boot from USB, it'll let me select either the 32 or 64 bit version to install but as soon as I select an option it displays the BIOS 'Edge' logo and freezes indefinitely.

The only way it manages to get to the install menu is if I run the installer in safe mode. After that it can't reboot to go any further.

Here's a list of things I've tried:

I've tried running it with only one stick of RAM in every DIMM and none work.

I've tried installing a motherboard speaker however it is silent when the freeze occurs (it beeps with no memory).

I've tried with only the hard drive and with only the SSD independently with no luck.

I've tried unplugging the graphics card and using integrated graphics.

I've tried unplugging everything except for the CPU, the cooler, and one stick of RAM.

I've manually set the memory timings and it didn't change anything.

I've verified the CPU has power as well as the main motherboard power connector.

I've checked the cooling. The cpu remains at a stable 31oC no matter how long I leave it.

The motherboard has standoffs attaching it to the case.

The CPU socket guard has been removed.

The CPU has been installed correctly.

The CPU fan socket is connected.

I've reset the BIOS settings.

I've tried running with both UEFI and Legacy mode.

I've switched the USB stick to different ports but always the ones on the motherboard.

I've checked the board supports my memory frequency and it also supports my CPU.

Here's a list of my components:

CPU:
Intel i9 9900K Unlocked

RAM:
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHZ DDR4 (16 18 18 35)

Motherboard:
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

Graphics Card:
MSI RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC

Storage:
1TB M.2 Intel 660p PCIe
2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 Desktop SATA 3 Hard Drive

PSU:
750W EVGA Supernova 750 G1+

Cooler:
Corsair CW-9060033-WW H100i Hydro Pro Liquid Cooler

Case:
Sahara P75 Full Tower

I've done pretty much everything I can think of. Thanks for your help.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I would recheck the motherboard USB headers are connected correctly. It seems its not being detected. Have the USB plugged in head to the BIOS see if it shows in the storage. It it does not get detected try another USB drive to see if it shows up in the BIOS storage this is to determine if the win10 drive is faulty.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019
The motherboard USB headers are connected properly, although I have the USB plugged directly into the motherboard rather than using the case USB ports.

The USB seems to be detected by the BIOS, it shows it as a valid option (Windows 10 boot USB) in the boot order. Also when I boot from the USB, I get the Windows boot manager (pictures below), it's only after that it freezes.

View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/IGUFxaO

Jul 11, 2019
I've checked and they're fine. I've also tried it with just the m.2, just the hdd and without either. I've got it set on UEFI. The problem still persists. I've tried stripping everything but the CPU, cooler, PSU, MB, and one stick of RAM.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I think the USB installer is faulty. You can download a copy with the media creation tool for windows 10. I did that when I built my pc. Or take it back to where you purchased it and have them try to get to boot see if it will for them.