[SOLVED] New PC parts, every game stutters

forlocker17

Reputable
May 1, 2015
So i recently got me some new pc parts (Motherboard, RAM and CPU) bcus of my games stuttering and me assuming it was my horrible cpu bottlenecking me. But still the problem persists. I really cant play any game that has come out in the past 3-4 years bcus of this even though the recomended specs for these games say i should.
Sometimes the stuttering is minimal but it can switch in a matter of minutes to actually unplayable where it seems like the pc is going to crash any second.
And turning down my settings on games does nothing but give me some more frames wich i dont really need since i usually run at 60fps on these newer games with low-medium settings
Also when i got the new parts i did a clean reinstall of windows 10 and my performance for just browsing and opening apps on my pc is terrible, it can take up to 15 seconds for a app to actually start after me clicking it.
I should also mention that my HDD Disk usage in task manager goes up to 100% pretty much everytime i do anything including playing games

please help lol

Specs
Graphics card: GTX 960 2GB
CPU: Intel i5-9400F
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151
RAM: 8GB DDR4
PSU: some cooler master 600W

Solution
I would say the combination of a HDD and a GPU with only 2GB of VRAM will cause stutter since the game will try to use virtual memory on your disk from time to time. Older games did fine with just 2GB newer AAA games typically uses at least 3GB for 1080P gaming. You should really upgrade to a SSD and a better GPU.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I would say the combination of a HDD and a GPU with only 2GB of VRAM will cause stutter since the game will try to use virtual memory on your disk from time to time. Older games did fine with just 2GB newer AAA games typically uses at least 3GB for 1080P gaming. You should really upgrade to a SSD and a better GPU.

Solution

forlocker17

Reputable
May 1, 2015
For sure i see the 2gb VRAM being a problem but for example the game borderlands 3 of wich im trying to enjoy the minimum specs for VRAM are 2GB. So in reality that should not be a problem as long as im running the game at minimum settings wich i kinda am. So i dont see what the problem could be? is it really as simple as purchasing a SSD and poof all my stuttering goes away in games it shouldn't stutter in? i would think not but what do i know

forlocker17

Reputable
May 1, 2015
As you said, those are the MINIMUM requirements. Just to run it. Not smoothly, not enjoyably, just run it. The SSD will help but you will be even better if you also purchase a better GPU with more VRAM (570-580 comes in mind)
Ye i guess ur right i'll probably have to upgrade my gpu. Do you have any suggestion for the best one in the 300 ballpark?