New PC parts; PC wont Turn on

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Okay I know these kind of threads are common, and yes, I've looked through other threads, i've looked at that one guide that ppl post and i've tried just about everything to get my PC to start(Tried one Ram stick, switched the Ram positions(though i followed what my mobo manual said) Unplugged things one by one, etc). So i'm here making my own thread to get a more personalized answer.

So, during black friday/cyber monday, i ordered a new CPU, Mobo, and Ram to start my process of upgrading my PC. Was a delay with the shipping sadly and didnt get them until around Wednesday and only had time today to try and put it all together.

New Parts
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600, Mobo - ROG Strix B350-F Gaming, Ram - Two 8gig(16 gig total) DDR4 2400 G-Skill Flare-X Ram Sticks, Rosewill Challenger Case. All items were on sale/I'm on a budget.

Old Parts/Parts that will be upgraded over time
GeForce GTX 960 - Rosewill Photon 550 Watt PSU - WD Green WD10EZRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD

So after putting all that together, I go to press the power button, and nothing happens. However, on the Strix mobo, a Orange light would show when i flipped my PSU power switch on before pressing the power button, and the little RGB thing would be glowing on the mobo. When I googled that, people had said the orange light just indicates that the Mobo is being powered. I noticed when i pressed the power button, I would hear a slight beep/bzzt type noise that would only happen once when i tried to press the power button. I even tried the screwdriver trick to boot with no power button and it would make the same noise. No sound from the HDD starting, no fans powering on, etc. The beep/bzzt noise would only happen once after flipping my PSU switch on and pressing the power button. It wouldnt make the noise again until i flipped the PSU off, and then back on to try and boot it again.

With that said, I had noticed that the Rosewill Photon 550 is an ATX PSU(It splits into two 4 pin connectors for the CPU power), but the Strix Mobo is an EATX for the CPU power. After googling people said just connecting the 4 pin part would be enough to power the mobo(Since only one half of connector had the right shapes to be connected) instead of using all 8 pins. However, when i put all these parts together it still wont start. Again. there is no sound from the HDD when i try and start, no fans turn on, only the orange light and the little rainbow part glowing on the Strix Mobo when i flip the PSU switch on(Before even pressing the power button).

After trying many things, nothing has worked, and i'm now currently making this thread while on my old PC using the old GPU, PSU, and HDD that i posted. My old Mobo that i'm on now is an Asus A88X-PLUS with 8 gig DDR3 ram, and an old AMD Athlon x4 760K. At first I was worried the PSU went dead for whatever reason or because it was just an ATX using only 4 pins was and issue, but here I am on my old PC running fine.

I'm hoping some one here can help me diagnose what is going on. Do I need a new PSU that uses all 8 pins for the CPU power? Maybe I'm just delusional but it's hard to think that the CPU, Mobo, or Ram is the is issue. I bought all these parts as a combo package on Newegg and double checked many times they would all be compatible before purchasing.

Anyways, any and all replies are appreciated and welcomed. Thank you for your time.

Solution
Okay, understanding that you have gone through all options. I would start at the beginning with just the bare minimum connected to the motherboard, in a SSD, 1 stick of ram, CPU, power supply and GPU. Make sure all cables are on perfectly...double check! Your new motherboard is NOT an E-ATX motherboard but just a standard ATX motherboard but does require an 8 Pin CPU power connector...Yes you can use the 2 x 4 Pin EPS power cable to connect to the top 8 Pin CPU connector.

Ryzen in first gen had issues with RAM and sometimes takes a bit of effort to get things working.

Also the Rosewill Photon power supply is not the best but should handle this setup.

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Thank you for the comment, sorry for the delayed response. So the mobo isnt EATX? I had though that because the CPU power connector it shows EATX on the board. When I plugged in the PSU i actually had to turn the 4 pin connector to the side so the shapes would align properly even though the clip part of the connector wasnt where the clip part was on the mobo. Only one part of the CPU power connector matched the shapes for the CPU power on the Mobo so that is what i plugged in. The other 4 pin part the shapes didnt match what the Mobo had, do you think that is the issue? I checked the spec and it shows it's +12V EPS 4+4-Pin. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182321

I had actually tried just one stick of ram as well but it still did the whole just single beep/bzzt type noise when i press the power button. I will def give it another shot though. I also dont have an SSD just the HDD atm, in the future i will be getting an SSD though.

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
vmax is right that you should completely disconnect everything but the bare essentials, at this point the pc just needs to turn on. but if this fails then try as best you can to individually test everypard of the system. such as ask friends for spare ram or a spare powersupply. if possible try and use your components in a different system, the 2 main parts of the computer in my eyes are the motherboard and power supply and the weak link is the power supply for the time being. the motherboard is the only real culprit that i can think of but be sure to test as much as you can.

It sounds like you do not have the EPS connector in properly. It should fit perfectly and you have to make sure that the 2 4 pin ends connect to each other properly before inserting into the motherboard 8 Pin connector...I have doubled checked your PSU's EPS connector and it is standard, so double check the 2 x 4 Pin connectors as they join together with a very small clip, just a slight piece that sticks out for both ends to connect to make a single 8 Pin connector...

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that I can swap parts and test like that, but I will be try again with the bare minimum and see what happens.

Yes the two parts do connect together, but the shapes, Square and Round'ish square, only one part of the 2 x 4 pin matched the socket for the CPU power port on the Strix Mobo

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2754320/pin-12v-psu-8pin-12v-motherboard.html

That picture there is what my Rosewill 2 x 4 pin looks like.

Notice piece on the left is

Square Round'ish - Square
Square - Round'ish Square

The right side is all Round'ish Square

However, on the Stirx mobo, the shapes are

https://gyazo.com/84056dca287ff3fc0f8f2fb0d4901c16

Square Round'ish -Square
Square - Roundish Square

That is BOTH sides to make up the 8 pin connection on the Strix Mobo. Does this mean I can put in the other part of the 2 x 4 pin connector even though the shapes dont match for my PSU?

Not sure if that makes sense, sorry if it's confusing.

Sorry, I forgot to post....I have had these problems in the past and recently where it always seems hard to get the EPS cable in especially when you have the 2 pieces to clip together before inserting into the motherboard.

I did double check the specs on the PSU especially the EPS cable that you showed and it should fit just fine. Just connect the 2 pieces the right way and with a bit of jiggling (could not think of another word) it will fit provided you have it the right way...In that the 2 pieces need to be correctly fitted together before connecting to the motherboard.

The EPS CPU power cable is a standard connector for all motherboards...

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

So you're saying even though the shapes on the cables wont match what is on the Mobo can still just plug them in anyways?

Sorry if im repeating i just want to be 100% and you havnt exactly directly answered that part. I understand about putting the two cables together to make one 8 pin connector, it's the shapes of the cables and the shapes on the mobo is what im concerned about.

By all rights it is a standard connector cable to the motherboard and should just work, there should really be no grey areas here is it is all standardised otherwise no one would by the rosewill power supply!...On thing I should have asked is how old is this power supply?

Solution

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Around 3 year old now, bought it back in 2015

Okay I have switched my PC of, removed my EPS connector and taken a couple of pictures to help you....

PacM0iK.jpg

DNO9Am3.jpg

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it.

That is exactly how my cable looks like.

I just googled your mobo and I noticed that your mobo CPU power port is just like mine so that has answered my question; I can just put the cables in anyways.

It seems I was too concerned with the shape of the individual inserts not matching, but it seems you can just stick them in anyways.

No problems at all, happy to help...

SICC

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Thank you again, Max, the PC turned on an now everything is working fine.

I feel so embarrassed considering the amount of time i have spent trying to figure out what was going on and it was as simple as just plugging all 8 pins into the CPU power port....... haha.

In my defense :p this is only the second time i've really upgraded my PC, and while building just about everything has a certain port to go into using a certain direction. My other mobo as well only has a 4 pin port for the CPU so this was new to me.

Thank you again for the help, you've saved me many hours of frustrating trouble shooting, especially since you have been the only person to reply.