Question New Pc, pls help look over

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
If you don't game, then why are you buying a gaming card? That CPU already has integrated graphics and while they are not super capable, they are perfectly fine for watching HD video online and any other normal usage. Now, if you do video editing or other things that might require the use of better graphics processing capabilities, then it might make sense, but even then you could likely get away with a MUCH less capable graphics card and still have way better performance than what the integrated graphics on that CPU has.

Let's do this. Explain EXACTLY what you WILL be using this PC to do mostly, and include any secondary probable uses as well.

Tell me what country or region you are in, and what you can actually afford to spend on the build, at most, as well as any aesthetic preferences you might have that you have your heart set on such as specific RGB or case color/design options. If you have a specific online retailer you can or prefer to order through, include a link to them as well.

If you're going to spend money, do it once, and make sure you actually get the most for your money and don't overspend needlessly on things you don't need.

Lutfij

Titan
Build looks fine, to me though I'd err on the side of caution with regards to that ram kit. You might be able to kit those speeds or you might not. I'd also swap the SSD out for something by Crucial, considering that Samsung is kind of going through a difficult phase. Not a fan of the case or the orientation of the hardware in there, you're feeding warm air from the PSU into the AIO's radiator, defeats the purpose of the AIO entirely. If I were you, I wouldn't pair a Ryzen 9 with a B650 chipset, if you're looking at the B650 chipset, you look at a more budget friendly CPU, then balance the build out.

Might want to answer what my colleague above has asked for in order to get a more refined answer from the community.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Thank you guys. I am from the US and I will be purchasing all the parts from Amazon.

$1700 USD is my max budget.

Besides youtube and netflix the only other use I have for this pc is doing lots and lots of video encoding. I don't like leaving pc on over night just so the encoding can continue.

The reason I want a new pc is I want something that can encode video even faster (GPU?) Will a faster CPU help? or I need faster GPU?

Will I notice any speed increase going from I9-12900k to this Ryzen 9 7950x with DDR5 Ram? Or are my wasting my money?

another reason being my son likes playing TearDown on his Ryzen 9 5950x with rtx 3070 and 32gb Ram. He downloaded and enabled like 60 plugins at once so his game lags like crazy whenever he blow something up.

I am giving my current pc to my son, hooping the Intel i9-12900k, rtx 3080ti and 32gb ram will solve the lag problem. I still have the this system, have not tried the game on it yet

Last edited:
It depends on the software. There is both CPU and GPU encoding and it really depends on the software you prefer to use and the settings you choose, but realistically if you do a lot of video encoding it is a VERY good idea to have BOTH a capable CPU and a capable graphics card. Whether it's a gaming card or a workstation card is totally up to you but the fact is that a very decent gaming card will almost always tend to be less expensive than an equally capable workstation card and in some cases, MORE capable per dollar. So having a good graphics card might well be very important in your case. Also, you should be aware of WHAT types of technologies you need. Nvidia cards support some things not well supported by AMD cards, and visa versa. Knowing if your use case favors one or the other, or the software you use does, and things along those lines are probably extremely important prior to deciding whether to go AMD or Nvidia when it comes to graphics.

Certainly both can work in most cases, but Nvidia has generally held an edge due to it's CUDA and hardware accelerated performance which has practically always been a bit better. Sometimes "better" might not be "worth" the difference in price though. If you don't do it professionally, or at least semi-professionally as a very serious hobby, then it probably doesn't matter AS much in that case.

Right now, I don't see the benefit, still, of paying more for a DDR5 platform because there is basically STILL not a benefit to the faster DDR5 frequencies since it's latency is so high still. Down the road when the process is more mature and memory kits have much lower latencies at the same frequency, that might change, and certainly if you want something that you WON'T have to again buy different memory for when you upgrade the next time, then you might just bite the bullet and pay the extra for a DDR5 memory kit and board now so it's done and over with. Then again, commercially available DDR6 is loosely expected to be seen in 2025, so if there is little chance you'd upgrade again BETWEEN now and then, then skipping on DDR5 and sticking with much less expensive DDR4 might still make a lot more sense especially if keeping the overall price of the hardware as low as possible is an important consideration.

And honestly, you are not going to see a heck of a lot of difference in performance between the 12900k and 7950x, especially in anything that uses primarily single core processing. They are very close in single core performance. The 7950x has much better multicore performance BUT ONLY if you are running either a WHOLE SLEW of programs and processes at the same time OR are running an application that is very well known to be capable of utilizing as many cores as are available and there are few programs that can do that. Aside from server type applications and maybe some purpose built scientific ones, there aren't many programs out there that could use more than ten cores/threads simultaneously when we're talking consumer applications and since both these have 16 cores then the difference in threads (24 for 12900k and 32 for 7950x) probably is not going to translate into real world gains unless as I said you are seriously multitasking and are running MANY simultaneous programs.

At some point, more cores and threads, which is really all the 7950x offers by comparison, offers dwindling returns. It does have a SLIGHTLY better single core performance though, but I'd be pretty skeptical about paying 600 bucks for a five to ten percent gain in single core performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Video encoding depends on the software of choice. If you have a preference for NVenc, that's a gpu based encoder, with very little cpu, except for stuff like Arnold. If using OBS, that's almost always cpu based, unless you specifically set it up for gpu encoding, which may or may not be a good thing if trying to encode H.264 or H.265.

So you could go in the middle with a decent cpu/gpu and get ok results either way or go with an excellent cpu and lower gpu and be stuck only using cpu encoding, or vice-versa and get stuck with only gpu encoding.

Honestly, before pulling the trigger on anything, figure/find out exactly what your software requirements are for the performance you expect, as there are benefits and drawbacks to any decision. The only way to get the best of both worlds is with a top tier cpu And gpu. But thats far outside you budget.

That depends on the price. If the price of the kits are similar, I'd definitely go with the faster kit. You can always drop the speed AND then SERIOUSLY tighten the timings so that your latency is riding the edge. Otherwise, yes, 6000mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen 7000.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Thank yo guys for the reply, especially Darkbreeze.

I decided to go with the Radeon Rx 7900 xtx . Amazon has one at MSRP $999 but i have to wait a week and half until it arrives.

is Rx 7900 xtx allot faster than RTX 3080Ti? If my son's game still lags on the 3080 ti, I figure i will just swap the gpu with him.

I don't now why his game lag when he blow things up but faster gpu is only thing i can think off.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is cpu. Gpu is eye-candy.
Cpu has nothing to do with resolution, it sends the exact same data to the gpu regardless. It's on the gpu to render what the cpu sends according to resolution and detail settings.

Game settings are different as they contain both cpu and gpu affecting settings. Field of view is cpu for instance, the cpu has to provide dimensions, shadows, lighting, vectors, 3d analysis, location, movement etc for every single object in view. A field of grass is murder on a cpu because it's got to apply all that to individual blades of grass for a certain distance, which then changes in the next frame because that grass isn't standing still.

For a gpu, that same field only gets a little hard with longer distance views, before all the grass becomes a green blur. Higher resolutions make it tougher still, but still not on the scale of affecting the cpu.

So sons game lag could be as simple as he stuck the settings on Ultra, with RTX enabled, on a game that really doesn't support RTX well, with a high resolution, and lighting affects he doesn't really notice but the gpu sure will.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
Fps is cpu. Gpu is eye-candy.
Cpu has nothing to do with resolution, it sends the exact same data to the gpu regardless. It's on the gpu to render what the cpu sends according to resolution and detail settings.

Game settings are different as they contain both cpu and gpu affecting settings. Field of view is cpu for instance, the cpu has to provide dimensions, shadows, lighting, vectors, 3d analysis, location, movement etc for every single object in view. A field of grass is murder on a cpu because it's got to apply all that to individual blades of grass for a certain distance, which then changes in the next frame because that grass isn't standing still.

For a gpu, that same field only gets a little hard with longer distance views, before all the grass becomes a green blur. Higher resolutions make it tougher still, but still not on the scale of affecting the cpu.

So sons game lag could be as simple as he stuck the settings on Ultra, with RTX enabled, on a game that really doesn't support RTX well, with a high resolution, and lighting affects he doesn't really notice but the gpu sure will.
Or he added a bunch of "plugins" that make the game significantly more stressful on the CPU in ways you have also explained. Likely the explosions causing lag have to do with some sort of physics, smoke, volumetric fog, environmental deformation, fire, shadows or some combination of them all.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Some one told me the 7950x will only work with ram speed upto 6000mhz. is this true?

Because I enabled XMP in my bios and it auto set the ram speed to 6600mhz, picture below (System will not boot)
https://ibb.co/Bgwh38p
Before I enable XMP it looks like this
https://ibb.co/fv4813g
Here, I think is where I set the ram speed my self but I don't know how to or what value to enter
https://ibb.co/9pGh3dt

Some one pls help me setup Ram speed.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Try manually setting your memory multiplier to 60.

Just to start you can try and pull the other values from the 6600mhz column. Assuming that ends up stable you can potentially mimic timings from Gskill's 6000mhz chips and tighten them up. But it's a long process that requires stability testing and patience.

Important part is you get up and running now, you can do the research and tweak whenever you feel like it

Right. In the Gigabyte BIOS you need to simply click on the field then type in your value. It's not going to "bring up any options" for most manual input fields by double clicking or using arrows, or plus and minus, although those are all occasionally options for making changes to fields in various BIOS. And you probably might need to be in the "Advanced" memory section in order to actually make any changes, plus, make sure you are in Advanced BIOS mode and not any kind of "EZ" mode.

Reactions: helper800