[SOLVED] New PC Power issues?

Feb 17, 2019
So the other day I assembled all my PC components and booted up after adding components one at a time to see how the PC responded. I eventually had everything in the chassis running perfectly fine. I finished up my cable management, closed up the case and left the computer updating windows 10. Unfortunately, after I came back to check on the updates the PC was turned off with the inability to boot up again... Nothing! No signs of life whatsoever. I proceeded to take out one component at a time and reduced my build to its simplest state. (i.e. 1 RAM stick in primary RAM slot, CPU, Mobo and PSU). Each time a component was taken out I attempted to boot. Still nothing. I've tried each stick of ram individually, and that all PSU connectors were properly seated to the Mobo. Nothing has worked so far.

Now this is where it gets weird, as I've never seen this before... Since my issue had started I have had 2 successful posts in which the PC will start and stay powered on for a max of about 5-10 seconds. This only happens after I've left the PC alone/unplugged for quite some time. Once it booted after few hours following failure and another time after a whole night.

As far as I know the only thing about the PC that changed between working and non-working states is that I closed up the case. After the most recent successful power up I heard a funny sound (which I cant really describe) seeming to come from the general location of the PSU right before it shut down again.

Full PC Build:

Processor: Intel i5 8600k 3.6 GHz 6 core Fan: Noctua NL-L9i CPU Fan (FYI: Thermal paste applied appears to cover about 75% of the CPU when not heated, this is the first time I've installed a 3rd party fan).
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 6 GB
RAM: CORSAIR - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 2.6 GHz DDR4 DRAM
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750W)
SSD: Samsung Evo 860 500 GB
Case: Phanteks Ecplipse P400S

I'm thinking/hoping this is just a PSU issue or some overheating issue. What do y'all think?

Thanks

Solution
I second RemicIslandMusic. Check your Power supply to make sure it properly functions.

Find a medium sized paperclip. Stretch it out straight. UNPLUG EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO YOUR PSU. Make sure your PSU has power and the dip switch is turned on. Then connect the Green pin and any black pin on your motherboard power connector of your PSU. If the fan of the PSU starts and you hear it running, you have done it correctly.

Leave it like that for about 5 minutes or until it shuts off automatically. If it didn't power right off immediately like it normally does. It's an issue with something else and not your PSU
It shouldnt overheat immediately even if cooler is applied wrong. You would at least see a fan spin and lights. You could use the psu paper clip test to see if your psu turns on at all.https://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply
Make sure your pc power button is working if you have a multimeter
Do you mean a 1070 8gb or 1060 6gb? There is no 1070 6gb. .

Feb 17, 2019
It shouldnt overheat immediately even if cooler is applied wrong. You would at least see a fan spin and lights. You could use the psu paper clip test to see if your psu turns on at all.https://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply
Make sure your pc power button is working if you have a multimeter
Do you mean a 1070 8gb or 1060 6gb? There is no 1070 6gb. .

Unfortunately it's a new PSU, but I am aware that they can be faulty by chance I'll check it as well. Also, I thought 750W would be enough to power the system, think this is enough for my build?

It's an 8GB card, my mistake. What's odd is that the power button does work as that is how i get it to post when it decides to work... could that periodically fail I wonder? All lights that should turn on do light up while the computer remains on. I also don't see any of my mobo EZ diagnose LEDs light up.

At this point the only thing(s) that I haven't been able to check are the RAM (Feeling like that's not it) and the PSU.

Thanks!

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I second RemicIslandMusic. Check your Power supply to make sure it properly functions.

Find a medium sized paperclip. Stretch it out straight. UNPLUG EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO YOUR PSU. Make sure your PSU has power and the dip switch is turned on. Then connect the Green pin and any black pin on your motherboard power connector of your PSU. If the fan of the PSU starts and you hear it running, you have done it correctly.

Leave it like that for about 5 minutes or until it shuts off automatically. If it didn't power right off immediately like it normally does. It's an issue with something else and not your PSU

Solution