Question New PC produces faint, fast ticking noise from the fan at the back of the case ?

SIDEREVS

Prominent
Mar 19, 2023
I noticed that some minutes after booting it the pc starts to produce a fast ticking like a fan hitting some loose cable but I checked and the fans are unobstructed.The noise is barely noticeable with earphones on and it looks like it comes from the fan at the back of the case, or maybe the one on the cpu and motherboard.
When I turn off the pc the noise gradually slows down with the fan speed.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The fans may appear unobstructed.

However, once up and running then physics takes over and due to air flows and other forces one of the fan blades is likely hitting the case.

Or some cable is being pulled in and hit. Or some piece of debris moves into range....

What you need to discover is the exact location/source of the ticking noise.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of the case.

Put one end of the tube to your ear and aim (again do so very carefully) the other end at suspect locations.

Once the culprit fan (if indeed a fan) is identified then you can take a closer look at the fan after powering down and unplugging the computer.

SIDEREVS

Prominent
Mar 19, 2023
The fans may appear unobstructed.

However, once up and running then physics takes over and due to air flows and other forces one of the fan blades is likely hitting the case.

Or some cable is being pulled in and hit. Or some piece of debris moves into range....

What you need to discover is the exact location/source of the ticking noise.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of the case.

Put one end of the tube to your ear and aim (again do so very carefully) the other end at suspect locations.

Once the culprit fan (if indeed a fan) is identified then you can take a closer look at the fan after powering down and unplugging the computer.
it looks like its both the front and back fans.It also looks like it starts very low and gets lowder with time, maybe the fans are just coming loose or maybe I just never noticed it until now because its really low,it's noticeable only from like 2 ft from the case.

Ralston18

Titan
Could be heat related due to expansion and contraction.

My suggestion is to power down, unplug, open the case.

Loosen the fan screws, square up the fans and ensure that the fans are centered etc.. Carefully clean off dust and debris as necessary.

Then gently and evenly snug up the screws. Do not overtighten.

SIDEREVS

Prominent
Mar 19, 2023
Could be heat related due to expansion and contraction.

My suggestion is to power down, unplug, open the case.

Loosen the fan screws, square up the fans and ensure that the fans are centered etc.. Carefully clean off dust and debris as necessary.

Then gently and evenly snug up the screws. Do not overtighten.
I tried and it doesn't seem to work unless by loosen you mean like halfway out because i dint want my fans to take off.However the noise is not present when I boot the PC, only after 1,2 minutes it starts low and gets loud enough that i can hear it from 2 ft, so I dont't see how it's heat if it's so quick.Let's see what the manufacturer support says:I sent them a recording of the noise.It doesnt look like you can upload files here...

Ralston18

Titan
As the computer runs it warms up.

At some point the fans and other cooling methods kick in to limit the heat build up to within the listed temperature specs.

The case frame and other components may shift and move some (even slightly) with the expansion that takes place while warming up.

So there may be a change in vibrations, resonance, airflows even.

Another consideration is some app that is controlling the fans. It responds to the temperature changes and then speeds up the fans.

Perhaps prematurely or maybe to a higher RPM than really necessary. With changes in noise, vibration, and resonance.

All sorts of forces in play with respect to fans. Likewise for all affected components including the case itself.

As an interim "test" try this: when the PC has been off and is cool set a book on top. Boot up as normal, etc..

Any change to when the sound begins or the sound itself?

= = = =

Use imgur (www.imgur.com) to provide images/uploads here.

SIDEREVS

Prominent
Mar 19, 2023
As the computer runs it warms up.

At some point the fans and other cooling methods kick in to limit the heat build up to within the listed temperature specs.

The case frame and other components may shift and move some (even slightly) with the expansion that takes place while warming up.

So there may be a change in vibrations, resonance, airflows even.

Another consideration is some app that is controlling the fans. It responds to the temperature changes and then speeds up the fans.

Perhaps prematurely or maybe to a higher RPM than really necessary. With changes in noise, vibration, and resonance.

All sorts of forces in play with respect to fans. Likewise for all affected components including the case itself.

As an interim "test" try this: when the PC has been off and is cool set a book on top. Boot up as normal, etc..

Any change to when the sound begins or the sound itself?

= = = =

Use imgur (www.imgur.com) to provide images/uploads here.
I tried turning on the pc with the side panel off and it didnt begin to do the noise yet and it's been at least 10 min.so maybe it is the heat...should I try turn off the rgb lights and put the pc in power saving setting from control panel?

Ralston18

Titan
Change only one thing at a time allowing time between changes.

Overall though, I would not expect that the presence of RGB lights and/or power saving settings would directly reduce the heat build up to any measurable or meaningful amount.

Other components generate far more heat.

Reading back: New PC.

Post the full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage.

Disk Drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

Thought being that maybe the overall cooling "system" is not what it should be.

Are the fans RGB and otherwise controllable for speed? May need some re-configuration....

If possible take a couple of photographs showing the case, components, fans, and airflows.

The photographs may reveal something amiss.

SIDEREVS

Prominent
Mar 19, 2023
I have turned off the pc,put the panel back,rescrewed the fans well in, turned it on again and now after more or less 1h the PC is as silent as it ever was but if i really close my ear to the front fan i can still hear the rattlin noise just very faint.
These are My spec.s detected by the Intel support assistant app.
BIOS Version
BIOS Date: 09/29/21 15:25:50 Ver: 04.06.05 Date9/29/2021
MOTHERBOARD Manufacturer INTEL Corporation
Model H61
Version To be filled by O.E.M.
OPERATING SYSTEM Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
Version (Build)
22H2 (10.0.19045)
Devices and Drivers
PROCESSOR
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
GRAPHICS
AMD Radeon RX 580 2048SP
AUDIO
AMD High Definition Audio Device
AMD Streaming Audio Device
Audio Intel®
High Definition Audio Device

NETWORKING AND I/O
Realtek RTL8188FTV Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

MEMORY
16 GB
STORAGE
TEAM T253480GB

POWER SUPPLY LC6550 V2.3
ATX 12V V 2.3 switching power supply
Max combined W 550W

Peripherals: Keyboard,mouse,28"4k 60hz monitor.
The fans RGB lights can be changed or turned off from a button on the front of the case.I don't know if there's a way to regulate their speed: I downloaded Speedfan but it looks like it only detects my gpu fans that are inactive because it's not under load.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"I have turned off the pc,put the panel back,rescrewed the fans well in, turned it on again and now after more or less 1h the PC is as silent as it ever was but if i really close my ear to the front fan i can still hear the rattlin noise just very faint. "

There is always going to be some noise and if the noise is that faint then I would leave well enough alone.

Pay attention to temperatures and to any future changes in the noise either in volume and/or character (squeal versus rattle versus hum, etc.).

= = = =

550 Watt PSU may be a bit undersized but unless there are specific power related problems I would likewise leave well enough alone with respect to the PSU.

= = = =

Not a Speedfan user so I will need to defer to Speedfan users regarding the implementation and use of Speedfan within the host system.