New PC Proposal/Final Build Log

noahsheldon

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
I will be building a new PC soon. It will be a workstation/video editing/audio editing along with browsing and regular use. NO GAMING. For this I went with a high end cpu and ram. Just wondering what you think and if you see any problems with it such as potential bottlenecks. Also, will this build be able to dual boot osx and windows or just windows?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/smrRt6
Thanks in advance.

The only thing I'd really consider being a potential issue is the GPU card. It's severely at the low end of the spectrum for that build and since there are many graphic and video processes that shift much of the workload to the GPU these days, you might want to consider going with something a bit higher. I'd think at least a GTX 960 (If you'll be needing/using CUDA) or R9 280x, or a workstation card, would be a good idea.

It's also pretty doubtful you're going to need 32GB of RAM unless you're editing movies, using huge numbers of layers on very high detail images or running VM's. It might be necessary in a few other circumstances as well if you're running intensive 3D or CAD applications. Still, if you don't mind the cost it won't hurt anything to have it I guess.

You might also consider a different cooler. That's a 6 core 12 thread 140w chip, which tends to be even hotter than the Devils Canyon Haswell Refresh chips, and even if you don't plan to overclock, there are some relatively compelling recommendations to use liquid cooling with the Haswell-E chips. I don't know about that, but I'd certainly use something more capable than that budget EVO cooler. I'd at the VERY least, go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $46.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 18:38 EDT-0400

noahsheldon

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7FPQQ7
Give this a look. I just updated it. Also, I will be running dual monitors at a tad under 1920x1080

noahsheldon

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

2 questions,
1. Which card will give me better performance? The EVGA I linked or the MSI you linked?
2.What are some options you recommend for cpu cooler?

Well, I listed one above. But that would be the minimum I'd want to use. I'd highly recommend this one as a middle ground option:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($67.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $67.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 20:50 EDT-0400

A lot depends on whether or not you plan to run that chip at it's stock speed, or if you will be overclocking.

Personally, since you were going to go with the 750 TI to start with, I'd say any of the GTX 960 models that are not reference cards would be fine.

This is probably the highest performing GTX 960 out of the box. If not, it's very close, but I believe from what I'm seeing available, it probably is currently.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($255.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $255.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 20:55 EDT-0400

noahsheldon

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Noctua nh-u14s does not fit my case. Any of suggestions or recommendations?

Yeah, get a different case. Or go with the Cryorig H5 which is only 160mm with the fan installed.

The Corsair 230T supports coolers up to 165mm, has seven fan locations, is ok to look at and is only about three bucks more than the S340.

For a few bucks more the Corsair 300R is a much better case.

Aside from the Cryorig H5 and H7, most coolers will be at least 159mm or more, unless they're top down (Downdraft) coolers which don't have as good of performance and are generally more expensive designs mainly intended for specialty rigs.

If price isn't a major sticking point, I'd HIGHLY recommend considering the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, NZXT H440 or Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout.

If your determined to use the S340, a shorter cooler or liquid cooling are your best options. As I said before though, I don't think those smaller coolers are going to be sufficient considering the heat potential of the 5820k.