New PC Questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
not bad idea Have you thought about getting more of a mid-range A64 (e.g. 3700+ San Diego) and installing an X2 later when there are more dual core games out?
Means you can spend out more on something else now and still have the dual core later on when there's more practical use for it. I don't know.

thats what i did. the 3700 has plenty of power and will free up some more money for your graphics card.

ram wise you really dont need such expensive ram unless you are overclocking and even then you can always run the ram through a divider.

the 7800gt is a good card. its a bit of an oldie but it isnt super expensive and still has some power to it (but you should probably just wait for the 7900 series)

metalgearjsn

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I got a reply from the site I'm getting to build it for me and they said they are going to check if they can get me the Asus A8N-E mobo, which is good. I have also asked them if and when they are getting the 7900GT.

As for looking at a cheaper CPU, the step down to the 3700+ will only save me a little over $100 so I think I would prefer the extra power of the 4000+.