Jan 1, 2021
Edit: I updated my motherboard to the latest bios version (3.7) but that hasn't fixed the issue.

I just built my first ever PC
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASrock b450 steel legend
  • Gigabyte gefore gtx 1660 super gaming OC
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3600 CL16
  • Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 SSD
  • Corsair CXM 650W
I DO NOT HAVE THE LATEST BIOS
Build seemingly went fine for my first, installed windows 10 pro non-licensed, connected ethernet, installed all windows updates restarting in-between when necessary, then proceeded to install my drivers
Primary potential error:
Stupidly installed all listed drivers below (except those listed as beta and norton) from ASrock's website (Note I did install my GPU driver correctly from nvidia for the correct model)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450 steel legend/index.asp#Download
Afterwards, I installed some standard monitoring software (Gpu-z), tweaked some windows settings, and began to install steam, origin, blizzard.
I began to download Overwatch, when I experienced my first crash. During the installation the PC rebooted 3 times, which I figured was part of the installation. Logged back into windows each time, reloaded blizzard until the installation finished. I then did the same with Apex, and when that started to crash I got a bad feeling.
I went into Windows Event Viewer to find the following errors:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC-ID: 0
The details view of this entry contains further information.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: Kernel-Power

These would report after every crash. I then:
  • I used whatever AMD monitor software came with the drivers I installed to monitor the CPU to confirm it wasn't overheating
  • I completely disassembled the PC, reseating the motherboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, all cables, RAM, m.2 memory
  • Rebooted, tried to load Overwatch to see what would happen, and crashed
  • I decided to restart my PC and load the boot menu. I reinstalled Windows 10 using the same USB as previously, and deleted all partitions.
  • Clean win10 installation, I did all windows updates again. This time I only downloaded the CPU driver from AMD, and GPU driver from nvidia
I still crashed shortly after both driver installations and reboot while idle, monitoring the CPU temp which still only sat 40-50 degrees Celsius
Here I am now, not sure what to test or look at. The obvious solution is to try update the BIOS, but I'm worried it'll crash mid-install and break the motherboard. (BIOS version currently P3.4) Since reinstalling windows the the drivers I've only crashed the once, but I haven't tried to intentionally stress the system with a large install which is what primarily triggered the crashes previously.
  • Are there any other solutions / tests I can run to see if something else is defective such as the PSU or CPU?
  • Also, could there still be traces or lasting damage for any of the hardware from the incorrect drivers installed?
Side note: My biggest error when building the PC was accidentally using the wrong screws that came with my case itself to screw the PSU to the case, turned the pc on once briefly to load the bios, then realized the error and used the right screws. However they were small screws and seemingly connected to nothing within the PSU so I don't think that would've been enough to fry it.

Tl;DR
Installed the wrong drivers, and I have mysterious system reboots which may be a result of a non-updated motherboard bios..?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're advised to install the chipset drivers from AMD's support site, alone, the one that's on the motherboard site often has older revisions and they come bundled with drivers for an APU(onboard GPU on Ryzen processors).

What you should do now, is recreate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Use a donor system to download the latest drivers off of Nvidia and AMD, then make sure you're disconnected from the internet while installing. When you're at the GUI, use the previously downloaded installers and then install them in an elevated command, i.e , Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Also, it's good practice to make sure your BIOS is up to date prior to installing your OS to make sure your platform doesn't have any hiccups.

Jan 1, 2021
What you should do now, is recreate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Use a donor system to download the latest drivers off of Nvidia and AMD, then make sure you're disconnected from the internet while installing. When you're at the GUI, use the previously downloaded installers and then install them in an elevated command, i.e , Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Thanks for the reply. Note I've already clean reinstalled windows 10 and downloaded the correct drivers from the manufacturers website so I'm not sure what you recommended is necessary. Anyway, I went ahead and updated my mobo to the latest bios in hopes that would solve the issue but sadly it did not. Still trouble shooting and trying to get to the bottom of the issue. Also, I'm able to do everything fine on the computer, it's only when I more heavily stress the system (large install, playing a game, etc) that it consistently boots

TRENDING THREADS