[SOLVED] New PC randomly freezes/crash when gaming and EVERY TIME I start some benchmark software

Apr 9, 2020
So I finally built a new PC, everything was great until it started to randomly freeze.

Here the specs:
  • 16 Gb Ram Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz LP
  • PSU Corsair RM850X
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC
  • Win 10 Pro freshly installed on a brand new SSD Samsung 860 EVO
  • CPU cooler Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4
  • Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS z390 PRO WiFi
  • Intel i5 9600KF - stock NOT yet overclocked

So far the freezes happened randomly while gaming, watching youtube and browsing the web, even just while listening to spotify and doing nothing else. I'm quite a noob so I don't really have any idea what it could be the culprit, I read some troubleshooting around and decided to try benchmarking/stress test the pc.
Not sure if they are the most reliable but everytime I launch Cinebench or GeekBench for the CPU the pc freezes almost instantly. 3DMark for the GPU on the other side seems to work fine. Plus I tried MemTest64 and while most of the time it works well for many cycles it happened that the pc freezed.
When it freezes the only thing I can do is a hard reset, nothing moves, no sounds, no weird stuff whatsoever, just freeze. I'm appreciated If anyone could help me and point me in the right direction about some tests I can do to understand what would be the problem.
I'm sure I forgot something, so please feel free to ask me more specifications.

Solution
Usually are beta not the ones to recomend at first, but since having the problems would i try it.

Otehr thing i can think of for your problem is maybe the ram not playing nice. Is it from one kit? Can you maybe test with other? Maybe from a friend ....

Could even check the cpu socket for bent pins.
I'm leaning towards either a faulty psu or possible issue with the gpu. You'll need to isolate the issue. First I would uninstall and redownload gpu drivers. Also download and install z390 chipset drivers. I'd possibly even reinstall windows again before swapping hardware, but if it gets to that point you'll need to try another gpu and/or psu in your pc. Good luck

Apr 9, 2020
I'm leaning towards either a faulty psu or possible issue with the gpu. You'll need to isolate the issue. First I would uninstall and redownload gpu drivers. Also download and install z390 chipset drivers. I'd possibly even reinstall windows again before swapping hardware, but if it gets to that point you'll need to try another gpu and/or psu in your pc. Good luck

Thanks for your reply. I will try to do that. My noob question is: isn't that weird that I can play game with no issues for some times but as soon as I start some benchmark software like cinebench or geekbench instanly freeze? Is like it's something related to the CPU rather than the GPU, but I'm quite a noob, I'm just trying to isolate the issue like you wisely said.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Usually are beta not the ones to recomend at first, but since having the problems would i try it.

Otehr thing i can think of for your problem is maybe the ram not playing nice. Is it from one kit? Can you maybe test with other? Maybe from a friend ....

Solution
Apr 9, 2020

Ok since is the bios is in beta I'll leave it like my last hope if I can't find what's that cause the problem. The ram is 2x8 Gb and yes it came as one kit, maybe I could try run the benchmark with 8Gb only, first one and then the other one and let's see.
Also I could check the cpu yes, I carefully placed it and before doing so I watched it if it was ruined somehow but maybe I missed something.