New PC reboot loop (Blue Screen)

LucKy15

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Just built a new PC and tried to used my old hard drive but it wont boot all the way.
When I start the PC, everything looks good. There's the Windows XP logo and then it goes to a blue screen really quickly and restarts. I cannot go into any of the Safe Mode. I can get into my BIOS but don't know what to do from there. Already tried to remove the CMOS battery and didn't work.
The hard drive works perfectly on my other PC but won't work on this newly built one.
Here are the specs:
Motherboard:
ASUS Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI Motherboard
Processor:
Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Haswell Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 6MB
CPU Heatsink:
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System LGA1155 (99.99$)
Video Card:
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU 1020MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Power Supply:
Corsair Professional Series HX750 750W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply PFC 140mm Fan
RAM:
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Any clues on how to fix this? It doesn't seem like the hard drive is broken so I'm not sure what is.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Two things to deal with first.

- Did you actually reinstall Windows XP or are you simply swap your hard drive over from your old PC? I suspect it's the latter given that the hard drive still loads fine on your old PC. Simply swapping over a hard drive in this way is a guarantee of a fugly mess - Windows 7 is better at dealing with all the drivers being screwy when you do this (but still not great, which is why a fresh install is always recommended.

- If your copy of Windows XP is an OEM one rather than the more expensive full version, it won't work anyway. It's tied to the motherboard.

blackcell989

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Your hard drive may not have the necessary drivers installed for the new PC you build.

I would try to:
1. write down what the code is saying on the blue screen and do some research on what the error code means.
2. check your motherboard book to make sure you put the 2 RAM in the correct slots.
3. boot the computer without the ASUS GeForce GTX 660 video card installed. Use the onboard VGA or DVI plug on your motherboard.
4. If all else fails, I would do a repair install. You will need the Windows XP OS media. I would google search "Windows XP Digital River". You will have to figure out what XP version you have.