[SOLVED] New PC rebooting after 20 mins running a 3080 FTW3

Jan 30, 2022
Hi, Built a new system.

Mobo: MSI PRO z690-A LGA1700
CPU: i5-12700k
Cooler: Arctic II 280 RBG
PSU: Corsair rm850x
SSD: 2TB GPX Gammix Blade
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB (2 sticks of 16GB)

Runs great, ie Prime95 for hours with no issues, CPU never above 55 degrees C.
But when i add the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra (with 3x 8 pin PCIE power cables from the PSU) I can run 4k games/3D Mark for about 20 minutes, then it reboots. Graphics card seems hot, but not crazy hot.

Any ideas? Feels like a power or thermal thing to me? Try a new/bigger PSU? Bought the GPU new in box from a 3rd party, can't return.

Thanks so much!

Solution
I've repeatedly seen in the psu section of the forums, that rebooting isn't the psu - that It should just shut off if it is.
And this is consistently around the 20 min mark?

Using a riser card or cable extensions? Test without them if so.

That's a Gen 4 drive, right? Where is it located?
Using hwinfo and those 4k games, how hot does Drive Temperature 2 get? Drive Temperature 1 is usually the NAND flash, which prefers to run warm.
The ASIC controller, which should be under DT2, is a source of temperature concerns with Gen 4 NVMes. They need more active cooling, and the slot above a gpu like that is generally one of the worst places for the Gen 4 drives.

Graphics card seems hot, but not crazy hot.
You should still tell us how...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've repeatedly seen in the psu section of the forums, that rebooting isn't the psu - that It should just shut off if it is.
And this is consistently around the 20 min mark?

Using a riser card or cable extensions? Test without them if so.

That's a Gen 4 drive, right? Where is it located?
Using hwinfo and those 4k games, how hot does Drive Temperature 2 get? Drive Temperature 1 is usually the NAND flash, which prefers to run warm.
The ASIC controller, which should be under DT2, is a source of temperature concerns with Gen 4 NVMes. They need more active cooling, and the slot above a gpu like that is generally one of the worst places for the Gen 4 drives.

Graphics card seems hot, but not crazy hot.
You should still tell us how high that gets while in use.
Gpu core
Gpu hotspot
Vram

Others ideas:
Does the card try to boost over 2000mhz? The 30 series doesn't appear to be very stable above that, so the factory OC might not be stable.
Using Precision, downclock the gpu core so it doesn't boost over 2000mhz, and test it.

Is automatic restart disabled? If not, Windows might be closing before an error message has a chance to appear, and thereby removing a possible clue as to what the problem might be.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/windows-disable-restart-after-bsod

That's about all I got for now.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Solution