Question New PC reboots when playing game (now repeatable)

May 1, 2020
Hello,

I recently purchased a PC with Ryzen 9 (3900X) and GeForce RTX 2080 Super. I purchased to be a "gaming rig", but it seems to do everything but work with games.

Initially it would randomly reboot when playing any game (Destiny 2, The Division 2, PUBG, Call of Duty, etc). Until today I couldn't predict when the reboot would occur. Sometimes within the first 30s of playing (The Division 2 for example) the machine would just turn off and restart. Other times I could play for 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour +, but invariably at some point it could reboot (shutdown and automatically restart).

At first thought it could be an overheating problem (despite rebooting very quickly in some cases), but I just don't think that is the case. I've used several different utilities to monitor and log the temps and some of the crashes occur when the CPU is only between 40C-50C. It is also worth mentioning I've done memory test, disk tests (no errors), and updated graphic drivers and Win10 itself.

The big change is today I purchased a new game and my PC reboots at the exact same point in the game every time (and CPU temps were below 60C in each case). It rebooted 5 times in a row today coming right at the end of a graphical intense cut scene. Now that it's repeatable I hope this will provide the clue to resolution.

I am far from knowledgeable, but this seems like it is probably a GPU problem does it not?

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Hello,

I recently purchased a PC with Ryzen 9 (3900X) and GeForce RTX 2080 Super. I purchased to be a "gaming rig", but it seems to do everything but work with games.

Initially it would randomly reboot when playing any game (Destiny 2, The Division 2, PUBG, Call of Duty, etc). Until today I couldn't predict when the reboot would occur. Sometimes within the first 30s of playing (The Division 2 for example) the machine would just turn off and restart. Other times I could play for 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour +, but invariably at some point it could reboot (shutdown and automatically restart).

At first thought it could be an overheating problem (despite rebooting very quickly in some cases), but I just don't think that is the case. I've used several different utilities to monitor and log the temps and some of the crashes occur when the CPU is only between 40C-50C. It is also worth mentioning I've done memory test, disk tests (no errors), and updated graphic drivers and Win10 itself.

The big change is today I purchased a new game and my PC reboots at the exact same point in the game every time (and CPU temps were below 60C in each case). It rebooted 5 times in a row today coming right at the end of a graphical intense cut scene. Now that it's repeatable I hope this will provide the clue to resolution.

I am far from knowledgeable, but this seems like it is probably a GPU problem does it not?

Thanks for any help or pointers.
What is the brand and model of your power supply?