[SOLVED] New PC same network configure but now I get packet loss

rhys117

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Hi

I have upgraded my PC and have a weird Packet loss issue in warzone only on new PC.

I am using a NETGEAR GS305 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch, when I move my Ethernet cable from my old pc to my new one I get packet loss on the new PC. As all things are constant apart from the PC does this eliminates the need to test router ect...?

The problem does not occur if I plug my Ethernet cable that is used to feed the Netgear switch straight into my new PC.

The problem only exists when my new pc is connected via the network switch.

Does any one have any ideas of how to test and resolve this specific problem? It feels like it should be fixable as the problem does not exist on my old pc or when ethenet is direct to pc.

Thank you

Solution
You have to be very careful games are almost as stupid as some gamers who blame all their problems on their equipment rather than their lack of skills. You need to leave a constant ping run in a back ground window to see if the loss is real. Many games will get stuck in say a video driver and then blame the time it takes on the network. The problem was not the network but the game was too busy to bother to check if it got a response but blamed it on the network anyway. Not sure how warzone works I never trust ingame stuff.

For TCP stuff ,many games use UDP, you can actually see the latency and the packet loss in the network tab of the resource monitor.

If you would play youtube video for example you could see the...
So does it do the same thing if nothing else is plugged into the switch. IE you are using the switch to act as a cable splice between the cable to the router and the cable to your PC.

The cheapest thing to try is a new cable. Be sure you do not get fake cables. You need cat5e or better that is pure copper (no CCA) and has wire size 22-24(no flat or thin cable).

You can try to ping the router IP and see if you get packet loss. That would prove or disprove it is inside your house. If you get no loss though it would be very hard to explain why swapping stuff in your house affects internet. You could also copy large files between machines in your house but I am unsure how you would see packet loss it would just make the copy run a bit slower.

It is acting like a bad cable that is barely below the required specs so it works on some machines but not others......Note fake cables this is a very common problem so check that all yours are meet specs. Then again it could be a cable that was slightly damaged and has one end that is loose internally.

rhys117

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
So does it do the same thing if nothing else is plugged into the switch. IE you are using the switch to act as a cable splice between the cable to the router and the cable to your PC.

The cheapest thing to try is a new cable. Be sure you do not get fake cables. You need cat5e or better that is pure copper (no CCA) and has wire size 22-24(no flat or thin cable).

You can try to ping the router IP and see if you get packet loss. That would prove or disprove it is inside your house. If you get no loss though it would be very hard to explain why swapping stuff in your house affects internet. You could also copy large files between machines in your house but I am unsure how you would see packet loss it would just make the copy run a bit slower.

It is acting like a bad cable that is barely below the required specs so it works on some machines but not others......Note fake cables this is a very common problem so check that all yours are meet specs. Then again it could be a cable that was slightly damaged and has one end that is loose internally.

Hi Bill

I went through the process of testing 4 Ethernet cables that I have before trying my old pc on them also, anything cable that leaves the network switch causes packet loss only on new pc. If I plug any of those cables from the network switch to my old pc then I get no packet loss. Its really really strange.

I have tried 3 Ethernet cables from router to new pc and problem does not exists.

It feels like my new pc is not "liking" something the network switch does.... but I can't seem to find anything that would back this up.

I have an asus strix z490-f
which adapter is -
Intel® I225-V Gigabit LAN
  • ROG GameFirst VI
  • Anti-surge LANGuard
I'm wondering if a new feature on this is detecting the network switch as an issue, going to try installing gamefirst and have a tinker.... i usually try to avoid these programs

Last edited:
I would try to uninstall the silly gamefirst software. There is no way some program on your machine can fix network delays outside the machine and you never need to prioritize traffic inside your machine if you only run the game and not try to do downloads at the same time.

Killer chipset have much more issues but this software asus bundles also seems to cause strange issues for some people. Luckily you just uninstall it unlike killer where you need a different driver.

rhys117

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Hi both,

Installing gamefirst fixed the issue for one day. Then now its gone back to same issue. I don't think its the network switch as the problem does not happen if the old pc is using the same box and cable out, doesn't have to problem with my xbox either on the same network hardware.... must be something with this pc. its bearable as its first 2 mins of game ...... lol

Ill post here if I find a definite solution

A switch is a very simple device. It is pretty much 1 chip in these small switches and it is all asic stuff no real firmware which is why you can't manage them.

You PC should not be able to tell it is on a switch or plugged directly into the router. In fact it is almost impossible to even run software to detect a switch in the path.

I guess you start at the very basics.

So how do you know you are getting packet loss. If it is with the ping command do you see loss if you ping your router IP or does it only lose ping to say 8.8.8.8

What happens if you disconnect all other devices from the switch and only plug your pc and the router into it.

To see if this is some hardware thing or software try a USB linux image. You should be able to do the same ping tests and these boot images will not damage your windows install.

rhys117

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
A switch is a very simple device. It is pretty much 1 chip in these small switches and it is all asic stuff no real firmware which is why you can't manage them.

You PC should not be able to tell it is on a switch or plugged directly into the router. In fact it is almost impossible to even run software to detect a switch in the path.

I guess you start at the very basics.

So how do you know you are getting packet loss. If it is with the ping command do you see loss if you ping your router IP or does it only lose ping to say 8.8.8.8

What happens if you disconnect all other devices from the switch and only plug your pc and the router into it.

To see if this is some hardware thing or software try a USB linux image. You should be able to do the same ping tests and these boot images will not damage your windows install.
Hi Bill

The packet loss occurs at the start of every warzone game for 2 minutes and it is indicated by the in game packet loss flag. it jumps between 15-25 %.

I have now moved my old windows 10 ssd into my new pc and I get no packet loss at the start.

So this eliminates a hardware issue. It must be software related either with the fresh call of duty installation or the fresh windows install as these are the only 2 things I have installed.

I have a vague memory of doing port forwarding on my old pc, but I wouldn't think this would affect the game for such a small amount of time.

You have to be very careful games are almost as stupid as some gamers who blame all their problems on their equipment rather than their lack of skills. You need to leave a constant ping run in a back ground window to see if the loss is real. Many games will get stuck in say a video driver and then blame the time it takes on the network. The problem was not the network but the game was too busy to bother to check if it got a response but blamed it on the network anyway. Not sure how warzone works I never trust ingame stuff.

For TCP stuff ,many games use UDP, you can actually see the latency and the packet loss in the network tab of the resource monitor.

If you would play youtube video for example you could see the latency and packet loss if any. A video uses much more data that a game does so if there are problems it should show up.

Reactions: rhys117
Solution

rhys117

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014

If you would play youtube video for example you could see the latency and packet loss if any. A video uses much more data that a game does so if there are problems it should show up.

I had another network switch downstairs that i use for tv, virgin, xbox ect. issue does not happen with this one. I think im going to take the easy solution here and use it instead of looking any further....

I had another network switch downstairs that i use for tv, virgin, xbox ect. issue does not happen with this one. I think im going to take the easy solution here and use it instead of looking any further....
Yep, very oddball problem that I've only seen a handful of times (including this time). I bet the switch works fine for the tv, virgin, xbox too. Just strange stuff sometimes.