New PC setup help

stiffler123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Hey guys! So I'm not looking for the best PC setup , but i just want a pc that can run SOME games at max settings and others at HIGH. Note that this is my first time building my own customized PC so I dont have any idea whats good or whats bad. So this new year I'm going to purchase the following

(Fan) NF - A14 FLX 14 CM FAN ( two )
(Cpu Fan) Cooler Master x6
(Casing) Cooler Master k550 casing
(Memory) Kingston Hyper X 4gb ( two )
(CPU) Core i5 4670K
(Mother) Asus 787-k
(Graphics) Asus GTX 670
(Power) Cooler Master 850W V Series
(HDD) 1 TB Sea Gate 32m 7200 RPM

So these are the things im looking forward to buy this new year , my budget is tight so i cant go any higher. What do you guys think about it? Is it good or bad? Again I'm not looking for the most monsterous PC out there, and this is my first time building my own PC so i need some advice. If you guys know something that I dont, like the price to performance ratio of one of the components I want to buy are not worth it , or there's something else i can afford for cheaper price for the same performance , please let me know :)

Solution

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Its not bad at all. You're over spending a bit, though. You don't need 850w PSU for that. 650w will do just fine! DO you plan to OC the CPU, if you do then keep that one, but if you don't, you can get a normal 4670 or even a 4570 or 3570/k if you can find a better price on it.

Also, go with the Cooler Master 212 EVO for your CPU fan, it's probably the best bang for your buck. ($30)

You could also get a cheaper case if you wanted. You can generally find cheap cases that will do exactly what you want for around the $40-$50 mark.

Other than that, it looks totally good. With that extra money you will save, upgrade to an ASUS GTX 770, and I'd bet you will still have more money leftover that you would have burned otherwise! And the i5/770 combo will get you GREAT 1080p performance. 60+fps on most games on ULTRA. :)

This is somewhat posted in the wrong place, considering that you are new here, it's OK but next time, try to post threads on where it's supposed to be placed at.

Regarding your build, The person above is right. Unless the X6 is on a discount that has it cheaper than the 212 Evo, there is no reason to get it. It's performance isn't amazing at all. As for the case, I don't really know how much is it, but if it is more than $100 there is no reason to get it, as to me the elegant NZXT H230 is stronger and cheaper.

For the PSU, I would say it's fine, although I would prefer Seasonic-Manufactured PSUs, but that's just me I guess... The Main Issue here is The GPU. The 670 is getting replaced by the stronger 770 and it's similarly performing 760 which both faces stiff competition with the 280X. These card is a much better option than the 670 and I advise to get one of these, unless the 670 is under $250.

And I think that's it. Good luck.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Unless the 280x drops back down to the $300 range, the 770 is a much better option right now, as it is as good, even slightly better than, the 280x. You can find a good 770 for around $330-$360.

Also, you don't think a 850w PSU is a BIT overkill? Like at all?
Cooler Master is a perfectly fine brand, along with Seasonic, Corsair, and Thermaltake.

stiffler123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Hey man thanks for the answers and sorry for posting it in the wrong section , im new here :D .. And yeah im not planning to OC the CPU and will 650W of power supply be fine for my setup?

And for the casing thingy , what case should i buy? Im planning to fit 2/3 fans in it and im a gamer so if it would be possible i would like to have the best-cheap case that has a good cooling system in it cause i usually use pc for like 15 hours a day. The last one had an overheating problem so it needs to be replaced :(

Cooler Master PSU's are known to have issues with its lower end PSUs such as the eXtreme Power Plus and the GX series. Although this doesn't reflect as much as the Higher-End PSUs, but to me I'd rather stay away with it...

Thank you for reminding me with the 280X, This seems stupid to me that I am not updated with the international prices. In my country the 280X isn't (or at least hasn't) been affected by the strange price jump that I didn't expect. Lucky for you who bought that card when it's $300!, Also this is a very stupid move from AMD, I mean why would they do that? The 280X is going very strong on the $300 mark I mean. So for the TS rub off the 280X, it's $400 and I can see the 770 as low as $350. Good Luck.

[EDIT]If you want the best Airflow, I Recommend the Corsair 500R or Phantom 530... Both very strong. I would also recommend Rosewill Thor if like the looks of it (I Honestly Dislike). 850W is better, because you won't know what the future holds, You can add an extra SLI config. But if you think you won't, 650W with gold is better as they stay longer and is better for the long term.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

There are ridiculous amounts of case options. You just have to look around and find what works for you. The one you selected is totally fine, I'm just saying you could also find cases for a little cheaper that offer the same thing. As for fans, a lot of cases come with some (3.) But even if they don't, you can find them for as cheap as $5 per fan.

650w is TOTALLY fine for a single GPU and an i5, provided you aren't overclocking, which you said you weren't. Like I said, you won't need a "K" series Intel CPU unless you want to OC. So lower the CPU to save a bit of money. All this money you will be saving from the build you posted, put towards the GPU. I still recommend the 770. I promise you won't be disappointed with the performance.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Here in the states, the 280x goes for $420usd on average, while the 770 goes for as low as $330usd. The recent price increase has to do with the whole bitcoin mining craze. AMD cards are best suited to mine for them. Hence EVERYONE was buying them out of stock, so they raised their prices to benefit more from the demand. The prices will go back down eventually. Just a matter of time.

Hmm.. I was busy with the exam and my other hobbies like guitar and chess lately. The statement saying 'AMD was stupid' was my mistake, I missed myself on the tech world that time... Sorry AMD! They should've gotten a lot of profit from that price increase... But I think the TS should stick with the 770, incredible performance for the price, when 280X is at $400.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Agreed. The 770 is the direct competitor to the 280x. If the 280x was still at it's launch price, I would suggest that over the 770. But here in the states, the 770 provides a better price to performance ratio right now.

stiffler123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Sorry man I'm really new to the building a PC system but both of you are really helping me out :D and i have some q's

1. So if i decided to buy 770 over 670 will 650w do me good ? I dont know how to calculate this , I think the higher the gpu the more power it needs ? Im not sure about this cause im really not that good in pc thingy.

2. Will i still be able to max most of the games provided that i have 770 and i5 4440 ? or do i really need the 4570 like what you suggested

3. So is overclocking really that important to max most of the games ? So can you give me an example of a game that i cant max out because i didnt overclock my system ?
For example : Crysis 5
If there is none then i would really consider buying the 4440/4570 , 770 and 650W wombo combo

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

1. Yes. 650w from a REPUTABLE brand is totally fine for a single GPU/i5 combo. Or 750w is fine too if you are worried about it, but 850w is total overkill in this build. PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, though. So it is generally worth the extra money for a good brand. A 650w from a great brand will usually be much stronger than a 650w from a generic/crappy brand due to amp output on the rails.

Try brands like Corsair, Seasonic, and Thermaltake. The Corsair CX series is a good place to start.
$60 after MIR for a 750w semi-modular PSU.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/406089/CX_Series_CX750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

2. The 770 is probably going to exceed your expectations as far as gaming goes. For single monitor, 1080p gaming, it's probably some of the best for your buck out there at the moment, until the 280x returns to it's launch price. I would highly suggest the 770. You will generally get 60+fps on most games on maxed out settings. Even on the more intensive games you will get solid frames.

3. I'd suggest the 4570 or 4670 (non-K) depending on the prices you find. Since this CPU is still rather new and pretty strong for gaming, overclocking it will do next to nothing to effect game performance. If you do plan to OC in the future though, you might want to re-consider that 4670k, but if you know you won't, then don't spend the extra money.

Solution

stiffler123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Thanks quakemz youre the shit :D I'll get back to you if i have some questions since ill be buying pieces of it for the next 7 months , gonna start on january. Im gonna buy it from top to bottom in order like how i posted , so yeah :D Cheers mate ! Cheers to refillable too ! (Y)

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Awesome, my friend! This build will be sexy! Try buying the more expensive components towards the end of your list, since they might be cheaper at the time. And don't hesitate to make revisions depending on what might come out in the next 6-7 months (The 280x might be back down to $300 at that time, which would save you $30-$70). And if you have any questions, Tom's is the best place to go! Private message me at any time if you ever have anymore questions for me, or just post in the forums and lots of people will be happy to help! :)

TRENDING THREADS