New PC - Severe Problems (GTX 970)

Tofite

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Hello all,

Recently I noticed a problem to do with my GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte. The card seems to only use 169mb of VRAM in all circumstances (benchmarking, gaming etc). As well, over the past few months (since early January; I purchased and built my PC in early December 2014) I have been experiencing frequent crashes with a black screen and sound loop. When these crashes have occurred, I am forced to first hold down the power button for a few seconds and then unplug and re-plug the 24pin connector on the motherboard to prevent me from receiving a black screen with no signal during startup. Also, in most "new-ish" games (i.e. GTA V, AC Unity etc.) there has been severe "frame-hitching or frame drops which occur every few seconds. This causes the game to become unplayable. These frame drops also occur in older titles (i.e. Batman Arkham City, AC IV) though they are less pronounced and the games remain in a playable state. There are also other minor nuissances involving the card. It uses only 50% TDP in all circumstances and never reaches more than 50% bus load. As well, the video engine remains at a constant 0% in all circumstances. Further, if the graphics driver crashes the card's core clock will become stuck at 540Mhz and I am forced to use DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall to fix the low lock speed. Temperatures of the core never reach above 80 degrees Celsius and the card has an ASIC quality of 59.2%.

I have attempted to fix the problem several times in the past through re-seating the card, uninstalling drivers and then reinstalling, overclocking/underclocking and so on; all to no avail.

All sensor readings are taken from GPU-Z v0.8.3.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro with one partition.

I have several other threads regarding the issues, however I wanted to create a thread that comprehensively documents everything that has caused trouble so far. Viewing those threads may provide more insight into the matter.

Many people have suggested that my power supply is to blame though I have no reason to believe that is the case up to this point.

Post Script: In early January I was forced to use a "second-hand" DVI cable from an unknown source. The cable worked though I occassionally experienced a black screen.

My specifications are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
MOBO: ASRock H97M-Pro4
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Memory 2x8GB DIMMs each clocked @ 1600Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
PSU: Corsair CX-750M
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Tofite

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Your PSU is definitely sufficient for GTX970. By seeing the issues, it's likely that your new GTX970 could be faulty and needs an RMA. But before doing an RMA you could try running your GTX970 on another machine to confirm its GPU's fault.

Tofite

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015

Unfortunately I have no other PCs I can test on, however I could try running the PC without the graphics card.
Would this be able to provide verification?

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Without testing it with a power hungry GPU you may not be able to properly stress the PSU to ensure that its not a PSU fault. Still you can ensure the other components of your PC are fine. You could also try installing any other power intensive GPU for testing the PSU. In your case most probably the GPU may be faulty. Corsair PSU's rarely fails but it's possible.

Tofite

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
I believe that other components are fine, it seems like it's either PSU or GPU.