New PC shuts down playing graphically intensive games

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi, I've just built my first PC which is primarily for gaming. These are the components used......

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB rev 2
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

The build went well and everything seemed good until I tried a game out (Battlefield 4). After around 10 minutes the PC shut down and would not switch back on again immediately. In fact it only switched back on after the power cord had been removed and replaced. I tried again with the same result about 10-15 mins in.

I installed and ran Furmark which pushed the GPU to 100% and this ran for about 12 minutes before shutting down again. The GPU temp never went above 75 deg under full load. I have since tried Tomb Raider (2013) and managed to play for around 20 mins before it shut down again.

My CPU temps are fine and everything runs great when not playing games.

So the question is.......what is wrong with my pc? Is the PSU unable to support this graphics cards (i've researched this and it seemed fine), or is it possible that the PSU is faulty? As the GPU is not getting particularly hot (by my understanding of what is acceptable for a GPU under stress), I'm guessing that's not the issue.

Any help/advice on what I can try would be appreciated, or if anyone has this PSU in a similar build please let me know if you have had similar issues.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Fan should run 100% of the time on that model. Since if doesn't run at all it WILL overheat and thermal safety switch won't reset till unplug or unit cools down on it's own....

That 600watt Corsair will be fine for your system, just RMA the broken one.....

Jaks0n

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Sounds like a PSU fault to me, seems as if it wont turn on unless you reset the power cord (from the PSU)...get that checked at, possibly test another PSU in there.

My understanding is the new R9 's run at a set temperature and just throttle the GPU to maintain that temp so it sounds like that is working properly.

My first question is are you overclocking? If you are then stop and see if it works better. If your not then I also would suspect the psu. The CX is a budget psu that is a tier 2. I would have suggested a tier 1 psu like the XFX 650 but the Corsair should work. It sure sounds like a safety shutoff in the psu engaging.

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Many thanks for the quick response. I haven't overclocked anything, though the GPU is pre-overclocked. I did see more expensive PSUs to be fair but this was at the minimum power required by the GPU so thought it would be fine.

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks for your quick response, don't have another sufficient PSU but may consider returning this one if enough people seem to think it's faulty.

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Can you try under clocking the card?

I had an 800W PSU and a GTX470 SLI set up, every thing was fine until the particles started flying. Then the PC would die, mine turned back on straight away though. But it might be worth just underclocking it a tad, I was able to lower my voltage enough to stop the problem 'till I could afford a new PSU.

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Just tried a different profile in OCGuru2 with GPU clock lowered to 1000Mhz from 1100Mhz. Didn't change anything else as I'm fairly new to this. Managed 15 mins of Battlefield 4 then shutdown again.

Mastikk

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Just discovered that the psu fan is not spinning, and doesn't spin even under load. I'm guessing with this unit that the fan should always be spinning? Also, the casing of the psu is loose on one side, which i hadn't noticed previously.So it looks like this has been dropped at some point and is damaged as a result. It was purchased from Amazon UK so will return it for a replacement. Please advise about the fan though as I couldn't find a definitive answer about whether or the fan should always spin or not on the CX series. Thanks for all responses guys!

jb6684

Distinguished
Fan should run 100% of the time on that model. Since if doesn't run at all it WILL overheat and thermal safety switch won't reset till unplug or unit cools down on it's own....

That 600watt Corsair will be fine for your system, just RMA the broken one.....

Solution
Hi, replace the PSU ASAP, its gone without any doubt. Do not use the PC with that PSU or you will be risking your expensive components.

The fan not spinning means the PSU is unable to output any power, so the PC is shutting down.

Corsair's CX series is not that good, go with HX or TX series. I prefer XFX 650W, solid build and made by Seasonic top of the line PSU maker. A 650W PSU of a decent make will be sufficient for you.

FunkySundays

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Are you plugging the PSU cable in a heavily crowded plug? E.G An extension cable that is over crowded? That could be the reason as there isn't enough power for one wall socket. I have a CX600M and mine is working perfectly, with my r9 270x and my i7 4770k

gmluk

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks everyone. Have arranged a return for the psu for a refund, and have ordered the XFX 650W as recommended by a couple of people here. I knew the CX range from Corsair was a budget range but was unfortunate to end up with a broken one - in no doubt it would have been fine otherwise but as my first build this has left an unfortunate taste in my mouth and won't skimp on the psu in future. Should get new one on Tuesday and very much looking forward to using my new PC as intended (gaming!!!!) Thanks again for all responses!