P5Q SE2
OR
P5QL PRO <--- choosen

CPU:
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E7300 2.66 GHz
OR
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E7200 2.53 GHz

Ram:
TEAM ELITE 4GB DDR2-800 DUAL CHANNEL (2x2GB)

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 500GB SATA2 16MB CACHE HD502IJ

PSU:
Corsair 650TX

Graphic Card:
SAPPHIRE HD 4830 512 MB GDDR3
OR
SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512 MB GDDR3 <--- choosen

DVD Drive:
DVDs LG H55L 20x DL LightScribe

Hi, thank you for taking time to help.
I'm new to TH Community.
I recently decided to build my system.
So i went to only stores and choose some parts.
I want a system that will let me play most games, medium details.
And will let me work.
I guess the work part almost any system will do as for the games, well...
I'm on a low budget, and tyring to put together the best computer possible to run todays games.
So i have some doubts on the graphics card don't really now if the price diference is worth it from the 4830 to the 4850.
Now the motherboard is the biggest issue.

Well i decided to go with Asus P5QL-SE at first, but then turned to Asus P5K, because later i have the possibility to add more ram and have a crossfire system. That way i don't have to throw away the old components already there.

But then i read something about PCI-E 2.0 and started looking at the P5Q SE2 which uses the P45 chipset and has pci-e 2.0. But then i would loose the crossfire option, that i had with the P5K, but then again, i read that the P35 chipset is old and is going to disappear.

So all considered i ended up really confused and not knowing which one to get.
So which one should i choose? (I'm open to suggestions of other models or brands, please keep in mind these are all +- 100€ motherboards or less, and idon't really want to spend much more.)
ohh... and what do you think of the overall system.

Don't get the P5K just because it supports Crossfire. It it horrible at it, with PCI-E 1.1 at 4x for the second card. Get a P5Q Pro or GA-EP45-DS3R if you want Crossfire. Those have PCI-E 2.0 at 8x for the second card, which is 4 times more bandwidth and works much better.

The HD 4850 has 800 stream processors, and the HD 4830 has 640. You can guess how performance goes, based on this. Both are excellent bang for the buck IMO, at least in North America.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I agree, change the PSU. Try Corsair or Antec. At this point Intel is the better buy, it is a little more expensive, but highly overclockable, an E7200/7300 would be a good choice. P45 is the best chipset for C2D/C2Q's.

sanchaz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
i do not want to overclock this computer.
What PSU do i need? in terms of watts? is 400watts enough?
Isn't there a more budget PSU brand, that's still good?

@aevm
Would i notice any diference in using PCI-E 2.0 or 1.1?
Crossfire suport is not a must, as i am just trying to leave enough options available for future upgrade if necessary.

@theAnimal
Wouldn't that cpu hold back tha graphic card.

With a single HD 4850 or HD 4830, the difference between PCI-E 1.1 and PCI-E 2 doesn't matter. It only matters when you have two cards.

Systems with a HD 4830 or HD 4850 should have at least a 450W PSU. Systems with two of them should have at least 550W. These are Sapphire's recommendations, but apply to all flavors of those cards. Unfortunately, there are PSUs labeled 550W that can't deliver anywhere near 550W, so you have to be careful. I'd recommend a Corsair 550W, or PC Power & Cooling 610W.

sanchaz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
This is not entended for hardcore gaming or computer enthusiasts, as it is not for me but for a family member who said he had was on a budget, and wanted to get a pc, that he could work on, and that his sons could, play games, as there pc is pretty much non usable for any type of modern game.
So there is really no point in making it a super heavy duty machine, i'm just trying to make it last as long as possible.
Based on what you all have said, especially aevm, i have decided, to drop the crossfire option for upgrade, and have decided to choose a board, with PCI-E 2.0, so if i want to do an upgrade i can buy a new graphic card, and it will use all it's power. :)
Ohhh, and i have decided to go with the 4850 as that will make my pc last longer.

The 4830, would be enough for now a days games, but i'm putting a 4850 counting for it to last longer with games that will come out in the future.

As for the motherboards as i said decided to go for a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 for the reasons already stated and for a motherboard with more ram expansion slots so i can just add new ram sticks instead of taking out the ones already there and having to add new ones.
So i'm now on these 2(3):
P5Q SE2 - http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2581&modelmenu=2
P5QL PRO - http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=710&l4=0&model=2307&modelmenu=2
or even the P5QL-E if there would be any difference from the P5QL PRO
Diference is mainly on chipset i guess, both have PCI-E 2.0, my question is will there be any diference from one board to the other based, on the chipset, or is there any other difference?
Is it worth the extra money for the P5Q SE2?

The PSU, is LC Power that bad?
Because there is still quite a difference in price for a Corsair comparing to an LC Power.
How does the PSU affect the system?

P.S:picking up on what theAnimal said about the cpu.
What would happen if i put the E5200 on the current system configuration?
Wouldn't that cpu hold back the graphic card or any other component?

Thank you for your patience and time.

Those 3 boards are very similar. For example all 3 have 3 PCI slots and 6 SATA ports. The P5QL-E has e-SATA and Firewire, so pick that one if you care.

A good PSU will lower your electricity bills because it's more efficient. That alone may pay for the price difference over a couple of years. It also means a better chance of avoiding crashes if the power supplied by the wall outlet has small variations. It will also survive longer. That being said, I can't recommend a $100 PSU for a $500 build, that's silly. Try to find a decent compromise, OK? Something like OCZ StealthXstream for example.

The E5200 is rather weak as it is. However, if you overclock it, it can be quite good. Here's a guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

The E5200 can keep pace with the E7200/7300 if it is OC'd. However there is a big boost with the 1066 fsb over the 800 fsb at stock speeds. If you don't want to OC, go for the E7300. The OCZ stealthXstream psu would be a good compromise for your budget while maintaining quality. If you plan to run crossfire, a board with a PCIE 1.1 secondary slot will significantly handicap the card, specially if you put the money into a nice card such as the 4830 or 4850.

sanchaz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
@aevm
So there i won't notice a difference from the P43 to the P45 chipset?
I have really no interest in e-SATA and Firewire, so i think i will go for P5QL PRO.
It will let me keep more in budget while still giving me a PCI-E 2.0 slot. :D

@theAnimal
As for the PSU sites, this here are an example, of what i can get.
http://www.f13pc.com/loja/index.php?catid=3&id=17
http://www.aquapc.com/loja/?id=7

@aford10
I've decided to go with a motherboard that has a PCI-E 2.0 slot instead of a crossfire with PCI-E 1.1.
So if i want to upgrade my graphics card i can buy a new one and it won't be handicapped by the PCI-E 1.1.
I've seen the OCZ stealthXstream psu in the second link i gave to theAnimal and i guess it's in budget.
As for the graphics card, i will go with the 4850, but if the budget goes way over i will, choose the 4830 to keep in budget.

The Corsair 450VX would be good enough here. It's 65.5 euros
http://www.f13pc.com/loja/detalhes.php?id=2727

The Corsair 650TX, 92.5 euros, is better and, unlike the 450VX, you can reuse it in a future more powerful build. Whether that is worth the difference depends on your plans.
http://www.f13pc.com/loja/detalhes.php?id=2723

Between P43 and P45, the difference is mostly that P45 boards tend to overclock better and to have more BIOS options. Some P45 boards have Crossfire, while P43 boards don't - but you don't care since you don't need two cards anyway. Yeah, I think P43 will be all right for your needs.

sanchaz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
So if i went for GA-EP45-DS3R with one graphics card and later added another card, i would need the Corsair 650TX or would the Corsair 450VX still be enough?

sanchaz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
OK thx alot guys, especially aevm.
I' decided to go with the Corsair 650TX, but haven't yet decided if will take P5QL PRO or the GA-EP45-DS3R, and having the option for crossfire for a future upgrade, it will depend a lot on the final price.
Thx again. :D

G

You need to get a amd quad core processor for the best gaming experience

It depends on game and resolution and settings. Generally, yes. If you play at the highest resolution supported by your monitor and with all the eye-candy enabled, then the GPU might reach its limits before the CPU.

Go ahead and experiment. Play a game, type Ctrl-Alt-Del and then start Task Manager and look at the CPU charts. If the charts show at least one core maxed then the CPU has been the first to reach its limits in the minute or so before you went to Task Manager. If that's the case often consider overclocking.

The E7400 runs at 2.8 GHz, and the E7300 at 2.66. The difference will be negligible, unless you run benchmarks. The E7400 is actually $10 less than the E7300 at Newegg right now.

Yes it will keep up. It keeps up pretty well even with better cards, like HD 4870 X2. Look at the second chart here:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=8
It shows the E6550 doing a decent job (70 fps) in a CPU-intensive game (SupCom). The E7400 speed is pretty close to the E6550 so it would probably do about the same.